• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cursing

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    What are your opinions on cursing?
    I swear a lot on- and offline. A lot of the time's for comedic effect, or to exaggerate emotions. I try not to swear unnecessarily, though. I don't see a problem with cursing, as long as someone's not going off swearing every other word.

Think they're inappropriate?
    Time and place. When you're in a more formal setting, or around kids or something, it's inappropriate. However, there's no problem if you're around friends in a more casual setting.

Think they're just another word in the dictionary and mean the same thing emotionally as any other?
    All my friends swear very often, and having been surrounded by swear words a lot of my life, I'm desensitized to them. But if used in an insult, it can be quite offensive.

Think they're just words used to exaggerate emotions?
    They're used to exaggerate emotions, yes, but they're not just used for that. They can be quite insulting, very powerful in comedy, and... well, they're pretty versatile words.

Do you care if someone curses?
    I'd be a hypocrite if I said yes. So no, I don't care.

Speed

Skyward
    Years
    I don't mind cursing, if it isn't over the top and used every 5 seconds, I don't curse much, only when it's needed.

Years
    lol I love being 13, people curse all the time at school and I've developed for doing the same... just do't let my mom hear/look at this.

I'd say it doesn't bother me at all, but don't say anything you probably wouldn't say to your mother if you're were angry :S

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I don't like cursing and there is no reason to use it. I don't like it when people say it, it sounds bad. So, I hate cursing.

Gamedudebt

Pokemon Master
    Years

It's just words to say when you're angry or what not.

No not really, except around little kids and my family.

Think they're just another word in the dictionary and mean the same thing emotionally as any other?

Yeah, pretty much.

Yup.

Depends on the situation, but most of the time, if it's just for fun or you get hurt I don't mind.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    Don't care. I try not to curse at an inappropriate time, but otherwise I tend to swear a lot.

Depends on the situation.

Yeah

Yeah

Depends on the situation, but I usually don't care.

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
    Years
    I don't mind cursing. It's nice sometimes. It helps get that pure, unadulterated rage out and can feel pretty good. Sometimes "What the heck do you think you're doing?" or "Who the flupmuffin do you think you are?" just doesn't cut it. c;

I think it requires some self restraint, though. I hate when I'm walking around and see parents cursing like crazy for whatever reason, and their little kids are just toting behind them, sucking all of that in. It's just ... NO. Those poor little kids are probably repeating everything their parents say and giving their teachers heart attacks with it.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    I was onced annoyed when someone curses, I mean, I come from a private Catholic school, but now not so much.

I'm just annoyed at adults who curses. Especially middle aged one, they pronouce it diction by diction, and i'm pretty sure they say it because many people here say it.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Lol, I swear like a sailor. This should be funny...

It's a word. lol I use them when I feel uncreative.

Not really. They're words. They're about as inappropriate as saying "chair" or "bird".

Well obv..

They're just words lol. Overused words, yes, but words nonetheless. Who gives a damn. <<-lol, there I go again!

No because I do it all the time, lol

/biased survey much

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
    Freedom of speech. Why should I care? They are only words.

I think that it really depends on the situation. I may curse freely sometimes, but I keep my mouth shut when I'm around my family, especially if it's my grandmother.

I like how they can be much "stronger" in effect.

Yes, see above.

Nope, outside of PC and in front of my peers, I actually curse like a sailor.

Serperior

ɱɛʟт
    Years
    I cuss like a sailor. I have no problem with it.

They are just words. However, they can become hurtful if used in the wrong context.

Depends on the situation. I mostly cuss because I have a short fuse.

Not at all.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Who cares if I curse? Why would I care if someone curses? We live in a free country and we have freedom of speech. Cursing is, what I would say, a way of showing emotion. I've been cursing like a sailor for the past year and heck nobody even cared. xD

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    I cuss a lot, especially if I'm really upset. So no, I have no issue with cursing.

Rarely, since they're just words. I don't see why cursing is inappropriate, unless it's in some important speech.

Well, I definitely do. xD When I'm upset, I have a *slight* tendency to exaggerate it? ;p

No, unless it's at me. ^_^

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    A curse word is just like any other word; it only has the meaning you give it.

Not really.

Exactly.

Yes! I usually only curse when I'm trying to make a point.

No, unless it's around little kids. It's common curtisy.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I hate it. It annoys me so much. :(

Yes. Sure, they are just words, the same as any other... but the meaning of those words is still bad.

I do.

G-Man

disGRUNTled
    Years
    My opinions on cursing is...Who cares. Every other word that comes out of my mouth is a "bad" word, heck, as I'm typing this I have to concentrate on not doing it as it originally pops in my head. It's really hard.....

Are they appropriate? Really? People need to chill out. Especially parents. I'm sorry if your kids heard me, but he's gonna learn sooner or later, so why not now? Not saying it's really ok to pop inside an elementary school and let it rip at the top of your lungs...though that would be epically funny to me.

Do I care? Absolutely not! It's their right to say whatever the heck they want. If I cared about this, I would probably be the most Butt-hurt person on this planet, since I live on a Marine base and every four-letter word is part of the daily vocabulary.

Years
    I find cursing ok, as long as you don't go overboard with it and curse in every sentence. I have seen kids do this before and it pisses me off

No, as long as it is not your family or teachers.

Nope.

DarkVhozon

Steel/Dragon Master
    Years
    I curse mostly at others for doing/saying stupid and/or totally pointless things, though I dont swear around my family, just my friends. Though on Xbox(which I guess is online) I will drop the F bomb like there is no tomorrow, mostly at people who displease me....
    I HAVE always wondered why "curses are curses" and what makes them worse than any other word...
    I once read this in a book: You shouldnt swear because you wont have anything to say when something really bad happens.

MirroRz

You sure?
    Years
    Yeah, I curse all the time. The moment just calls for it sometimes. People who can't curse right hella piss me off though. Like damn, if you ain't gonna do it right don't do it all.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    Noooo, no, no, no. I rarely ever curse and when I do it usually signifies to the people i'm with that i'm really upset or something was taken too far. I don't have much of a problem with swearing when other people do it, as long as it's not every other word because then that just sounds like you're trying too hard to sound cool and it actually does the opposite for me. That and when younger kids think it's the funniest thing ever to scream swears in the middle of a crowd. Ridiculous D:

Back