• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Day of Silence

Support?

• Total voters

Rumi

Bottlecap Collector
Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2010
    I wish I hadn't forgotten! Oh well, I didn't have school that day and I'm kind of a quiet person in general. I need to remind myself of it next year.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
  • My school did it today, and people had to papers stuck on their shirts, backpacks, etc. I wanted to partake in it, but I didn't. Mainly because I don't think I could last the whole day without talking, and if I did (while doing it), I would feel really bad that I broke the silence.

Retrospect. My whole school didn't stay silent for the who day, but my friend Kari did.
    I didn't participate in this though, and I felt a bit bad :/

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • REALLY? With an attitude like that why would you act so offended when someone calls you a ****** or queer? With an attitude like that you're just looking for a fight and i garentee you say that in public you'll have a hell storm on you in no time. Somethings deserve to be keep to yourself. Do the world a favor and know the limit of when to keep quiet.
    No, it's called freedom of speach anybody group should be able to speak there mind. If any body wants to fight them for that they are going against there right and is breaking the law. They have the right to speak, and the right to stay silent. They chose to stay silent that day.

Stairmaster

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    No, it's called freedom of speach anybody group should be able to speak there mind. If any body wants to fight them for that they are going against there right and is breaking the law. They have the right to speak, and the right to stay silent. They chose to stay silent that day.
    It's ironic that you stated that they have the right to remain silent (I completely agree) but that you infringed upon that right in your aggressive attempt to get them to talk.

I've studied psychiatric behavior and sociology (etc) informally and obviously what you were doing was not "testing to see how devoted they were" but using an easy outlet to overpower someone verbally. Of course, they were sick of your harassment and responded, but not any less devoted to their cause.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    It's ironic that you stated that they have the right to remain silent (I completely agree) but that you infringed upon that right in your aggressive attempt to get them to talk.

I've studied psychiatric behavior and sociology (etc) informally and obviously what you were doing was not "testing to see how devoted they were" but using an easy outlet to overpower someone verbally. Of course, they were sick of your harassment and responded, but not any less devoted to their cause.

It would be hard to argue that someone other than a police officer or prosecutor in a criminal case violated someone's right to remain silent. The rights to remain silent is to shield people from the government, not other citizens.

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2010
    no its not.

your not very smart.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I dislike all these sorts of events. They always give me a vibe of the focus should be on the people participating rather than the cause. Like walk-a-thons. Why must I walk? Can't I just donate money?

Like last week was pink day to show that people are bullied are something. That just seemed more like a goofy social event than anything else.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • REALLY? With an attitude like that why would you act so offended when someone calls you a ****** or queer? With an attitude like that you're just looking for a fight and i garentee you say that in public you'll have a hell storm on you in no time. Somethings deserve to be keep to yourself. Do the world a favor and know the limit of when to keep quiet.

If anyone will have a hellstorm on them it will be you and me. If you are anti-gay, considered anti-gay, or look at somebody who's gay in a way that they get upset about, you will get decimated by the IRL b&hammer known as political correctness, which, these days can and will come from anywhere and anyone. This whole thing for "equality" is BS because of the minority rule. And besides, the only one looking for a fight is you. I am not going to hunt down and harass every gay person around, as long as they do not DEMAND everyone accept and agree with their beliefs, and seeing as I doubt anyone here intends to force their opinions on anyone(I don't, not that it would even work anyway), so we shouldn't have any problems here.

ILoveDragonite

~~Do the wave~~
    Years
  • I didn't even know that WAS a day. But i support it because gay people are loud....so a day of stfu is nice

also i don't hate gays, i've just never met one that wasn't loud
    cept one, she was pretty cool

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • It's ironic that you stated that they have the right to remain silent (I completely agree) but that you infringed upon that right in your aggressive attempt to get them to talk.

I have the right to talk, and they have the right to stay silent. You could say I was talking to myself(since they weren't replying, of course that would be slip of the hand)

I wasn't yelling at them, my voice was completely monotone. So how was I overpowering them verbally?

and I do not find what I said ironic. I belive if you are a american cittizin you have cretin rights weather you be right, or wrong.

Stairmaster

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    It would be hard to argue that someone other than a police officer or prosecutor in a criminal case violated someone's right to remain silent. The rights to remain silent is to shield people from the government, not other citizens.
    Oh, I definitely agree with you, I was just questioning Naruto's reference of freedom of speech.
    I have the right to talk, and they have the right to stay silent. You could say I was talking to myself(since they weren't replying, of course that would be slip of the hand)

I wasn't yelling at them, my voice was completely monotone. So how was I overpowering them verbally?

and I do not find what I said ironic. I belive if you are a american cittizin you have cretin rights weather you be right, or wrong.
    Was your conversation directed at them? It doesn't matter whether they responded or not. I don't know the situation but it sounds like you were definitely talking to them, and not yourself.

They weren't talking, you were. That would be overpowering.

I do agree with your final point, but I do not see how you can explain your actions with that standpoint.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • It doesn't madder if it was directed at them. With anything that happens with a slip of the writs you can make your self seem innocent. :D Take a law class you will see how wording madders so much in court.

They chose to be silent so there was no need to overpower. xD
    (do you want me to speak sign languages?)

It explains why I posted saying they are allowed to speak, or not.

I HEART MEGA HITT

ruuuki ♥
    Years
  • I didn't even know when it was. >_< It's usually something they have you do in school, for those that support it. But I never did it because I didn't care that much about it at the time. I don't really care because love has no boundaries. D:

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • Well being silent would make people ask why you are being silent. Then you show the piece of paper, and they read it. Sometimes being silent is just an effective if not more effective way than shouting through a megaphone.
    No, that's stupid. This is a topic that needs arguing every single day. Getting someone to read a piece of paper stating that you're being silent for 24 hours because you don't want other people making fun of gays or whatever isn't going to solve anything. Besides half the people in the world right now can't even read, with how stupid we're all becoming with every passing generation. It's much more powerful to voice your opinion and lay it hard than to sit there twiddling your goddamn thumbs hoping someone asks why you're being silent. Which is the better option?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Why whenever there's an LGBT theme thread made, it turns into a troll/flame war?

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Wait wait wait... wait just one second... People are totally misinterpreting the reasoning and purpose for being silent on this day... It's not about voicing one's opinion at all (people can do that any other day of the year, and we already know it is effective compared to being silent). The purpose of this, is to show or emulate the ignorance some people place towards the LGBT community. That being persecuted disallows them from having a voice in the matter...

Idk... I thought that would have been obvious to everyone...

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • Wait wait wait... wait just one second... People are totally misinterpreting the reasoning and purpose for being silent on this day... It's not about voicing one's opinion at all (people can do that any other day of the year, and we already know it is effective compared to being silent). The purpose of this, is to show or emulate the ignorance some people place towards the LGBT community. That being persecuted disallows them from having a voice in the matter...

Idk... I thought that would have been obvious to everyone...
    Yeah, I get that. My question is what is being silent going to do?

Back