• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Deoxynubleic acid (DNA)= Deoxys?

DNA=Deoxys?

• I think so...

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • No, of course not, just a coincidence...

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Yes, I'll tell you in my post...

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • This is pointless...

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Wolf_Goddess

The pen is mightier...
    Years
    Does DNA have a connection with Deoxys? Because in its proper term, Deoxynubleic acid has Deoxy in it. I wonder if Deoxy has a meaning... I'm unsure if this goes in General, so please move it if it doesn't.

Can someone answer this question that makes me ponder?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Yes - Deoxyribonucleic Acid (kinda spelling error) is where Deoxys gets its name from ^_^ Either that or Deoxyribose, the pentose sugar in DNA.

And yes, this stays in General ^_^

Wolf_Goddess

The pen is mightier...
    Years
    Oh (I'm never good at spelling that word...) I wonder why they named Deoxys after that. Perhaps because it changes its form, and this made the people who interperated it think "well, If it changes, it must change its DNA structure. So we'll call it Deoxys."

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    It's Classification in the PokeDex is DNA as well. Most US Pokemon names come from either shortening a long word or joining two words together.

The S

The Reverend
    Years
    I think it was officially established once that Deoxys is named from Deoxyribonucleic Acid.

... And Deoxys is the Japanese name as well.

The S

The Reverend
    Years
    I've heard people say Lugia (Ru-gi-a) was a poor Japanization of "Lagooia" (as in "Lagoon"), but it seems improbable.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    It would more sense for the name to come from Deoxyribonucleic acid (I was the only person in my biology class to be able to spell it right, because of Deoxys! XD) Since it's classification is DNA and it's just a shortened form of it ^_^

Wolf_Goddess

The pen is mightier...
    Years
    I know. When I saw the topic on the board, my eyes were drawn to Deoxy.. Maybe because it was the first few letter (O_o). Anyway, this made me wonder, and I've never caught Deoxys so I didn't know its type was DNA.

I Also realized that Ekans spelled backwards is Snake, and Arbok spelled backwards is Kobra (Yeah, I know Cobra is spelled with a C, but still...).

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    Deoxys is a DNA Pokemon.

THe full name of Deoxyrobonucleic Acid is Deoxyribose Necleic Acid, by the way.

Deoxy--No oxygen
    Ribose--Ribose sugar, a substance that contains carbon
    Nucleic Acid--The acid found in most human tissues.

Kelsey

~-*-~-*-~-*-~
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2005
    I'm not so sure if it is...but now that I think about it, maybe Deoxys is like a DNA Pokemon. ^o^ Afterall, it has amazing abilities to stretch itself farther than anyone can imagine, and it has the ability to manipulate its DNA to change form too. ^___________^

~Kelsey

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
    Years
    Um... I dunno if this is true, but I heard somewhere that the "s" on the end of deoxys' name means that it lacks a certain amount of oxigen, giving it it's ability to shift form.

Anyway, anyone ever notice that deoxys' forms spell out DNAS? XD (Defense, Normal, Attack, Speed)

Last edited:
    Back