• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Deoxys origin name.

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
    Alright, I was in science class taking notes when my teacher said a word that made my head snap up. After he told us the definition, I knew that this was where Nintendo had gotten the idea for Deoxys.

The word was Deoxyribonucleic.

The definition of this word is cell division. Such as how Deoxys can divide and rearrange his cells to take on a certain form, such as Attack, Defense, and Speed.

So, what do you think?

P.S. What in the heck does Deoxys (E) mean? I can't figure it out!

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Don't despair, 4th gen, you just learned about Deoxyribonucleicacid, DNA.
    How were you supposed to know that connection was already made?

You see, Deoxys is known as the DNA Pokémon in his Pokédex data. Supposedly a meteor crash-landed on the Pokémon world that carried a sample of DNA. This DNA quickly mutated into what was henceforth dubbed, Deoxys. The same way you made this connection was probably the same method used by Gamefreak in naming the creature from space; clever knowledge.

Good eye. ;D

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
    Don't despair, 4th gen, you just learned about Deoxyribonucleicacid, DNA.
    How were you supposed to know that connection was already made?

You see, Deoxys is known as the DNA Pokémon in his Pokédex data. Supposedly a meteor crash-landed on the Pokémon world that carried a sample of DNA. This DNA quickly mutated into what was henceforth dubbed, Deoxys. The same way you made this connection was probably the same method used by Gamefreak in naming the creature from space; clever knowledge.

Good eye. ;D

Thanks.

I wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't thinking about Pokemon when he said it. I was thinking of ideas for my fangame.

Well, thanks for the comment.

ShadowofTime01

Pokemon Professor
    Years
    Haha, aww the 4th gen player is starting to figure out the naming process of pokemon... Geez you're making me, a 1st gen player, feel old... I agree that half of the people here probably don't know the origin of Deoxys' name, but i also think that's because they're not old enough to know what deoxyribose nucleac acid is... or at least that the "D" in DNA stands for Deoxyribose.

Also on the subject of deoxys' in game name origin, isn't Deoxys a pokemon, thus it says it's name when speaking? Or am i mixing the anime continuity with the video game continuity...

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Sorry, I wasnt trying to sound rude. I also didnt see your age even though I learned about DNA at 12. My apologies.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
    I already figured that out :p

Quite interesting, isn't it?

Also interesting how they named a neuroprotein (or something like that) after Pikachuu o.0 (It's called a "Pikachurin")

devilicious

dream
    Years
    That was already common knowledge. Not sure if it warrants a discussion.

edit; and ~KiTsUnE, Pikachu is named after ぴかぴか [pikapika], the Japanese onomatopeia for sparkle and ちゅうちゅう [chuuchuu], the onomatopeia for squeaking.

Andd deoxys E on smogon is Deoxys evasion which isnt real

Don't give false information. Deoxys-E stands for Deoxys Emerald, which refers to the Speed forme. Check your facts next time, before saying something like that.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
    Deviruchi, I think you're misunderstanding what I said.

I ment that they named "Pikachurin", a neuroprotien, after Pikachuu. (The Pikachurin was only discovered this year)

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Deviruchi, I think you're misunderstanding what I said.

I ment that they named "Pikachurin", a neuroprotien, after Pikachuu. (The Pikachurin was only discovered this year)

I saw that in the Official Nintendo Magazine XD There's also a "Pokemon cell" which causes cancer?

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    I saw that in the Official Nintendo Magazine XD There's also a "Pokemon cell" which causes cancer?
    Yeah, but that was the shortened version it's like PolyKetacineMonocylene or something and people shortened it to the "Pokemon Cell" but Nintendo sued them so it's not called that anymore.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    That was already common knowledge. Not sure if it warrants a discussion.

edit; and ~KiTsUnE, Pikachu is named after ぴかぴか [pikapika], the Japanese onomatopeia for sparkle and ちゅうちゅう [chuuchuu], the onomatopeia for squeaking.

Don't give false information. Deoxys-E stands for Deoxys Emerald, which refers to the Speed forme. Check your facts next time, before saying something like that.

Hmm, well on smogon it was in the CaP section as Deoxys Evasion but could be wring. Any way he said the element was named after pika not vice versa so before posting make sure you got right next time hun ^.^

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
    Lol, I have also been playing since 1st gen, my name is just 4th Gen Matt because I really liked the 4th gen (excluding Bidoof.)

90 Posts~

Haha, aww the 4th gen player is starting to figure out the naming process of pokemon... Geez you're making me, a 1st gen player, feel old... I agree that half of the people here probably don't know the origin of Deoxys' name, but i also think that's because they're not old enough to know what deoxyribose nucleac acid is... or at least that the "D" in DNA stands for Deoxyribose.

Also on the subject of deoxys' in game name origin, isn't Deoxys a pokemon, thus it says it's name when speaking? Or am i mixing the anime continuity with the video game continuity...

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Wow the pikachu thing is sweet. The pikachurin. Anyweh yeah deoxys is a shortened way of saying that word. And pikachu in japanese is essentially sparkly squeak?

Cobalt36

Ivy and Harley, quite a pair..
    Years
    So when are we gonna get the RNA Pokemon and the ATP?

I always figured that Nintendo would make a Deoxys evo in the future for RNA (i knew what Deoxys was named from, since i learned DNA at ten xD)

Honestly, i would have actually wanted to see that in platinum, as a side-mission sort of thing.

*Copyrights name "Ribyss"* <That actually sounds epic!!

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Rybiss, sounds good. I picture it being blue and yellow.

Back