• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Despain's Storywriting Method

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2007
    This article/tutorial may be a bit helpful for those who are looking to make a game with a more interesting storyline. It's a bit different from most 'mechanical' tutorials, but it should be pretty inspirational.

Everybody has their own methods for writing their game's (novel's/movie's/anything's) story. Some of them are simple and very open, like the "just let it flow as you go" school of thought, while others are very planned and rigid, like the people who outline every detail in incredible depth and think of everything before they even begin their project.

For me, it's somewhere in between. My method is a little bit different- or at least that's what I'd like to think. I let my stories write themselves, and they develop very naturally from the characters. I don't normally do it in steps, or give much thought to the process at all- as I said, it flows very naturally. But here I have it broken down into five steps in order to make it easier for you. Try it out, you'll either love it or hate it.

Back