• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developing: Massive 9.0 Magnitude Earthquake hits Japan

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
    Years
    We got a tsunami here in California, about an hour away from where I live. We watched it on the news at school, it wasn't pretty... my heart goes out to them, the people in Japan, and everybody else affected by it. :[

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    I also can't help but notice that whenever a earthquake this large happens, there's like a series of big earthquakes around the entire pacific plate throughout the following weeks. It's like when one part of the plate gets a jolt, the rest of it follows.
    Those be aftershocks. They're very dangerous because even though they're usually weaker, they can knock down buildings that didn't fall already.

Years
    A reporter was saying that the result could have been better if the people of Japan didn't rely on their technology to tell them a tsunami was coming after a quake of that size. As many thousands waited for the evacuation signal, which was too short notice.
    That reporter doesn't know what they're talking about. That system probably saved thousands of lives in this disaster alone. You have no idea how prepared people there are for emergencies like this. When I first moved to Japan my city hall gave me a disaster guide which, among other things, told me where my nearest shelter was in case of a tsunami or other disaster.

I did not sleep at all last night I was so worried. There are a lot of people I had to check on who could have been hurt or worse. Thankfully I've heard from most of them now and the people I haven't heard from are probably okay since they live inland and are far enough away for them not to be affected directly by the tsunami. What worries me is that back in high school there were some exchange students from Sendai who I sort of knew, but I didn't really keep in touch with. I don't know where any of them are living now and I really hope they weren't in Sendai yesterday. I really wish I knew if they were okay.

This is still so frightening. I saw video footage of a place I've been to that had been swept through completely. Thankfully it was far enough away that people had a chance to evacuate. I know it's not likely given where everything happened, but I'm afraid someone I know might have died. I don't think I'll be able to sleep for a long time.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
    Those be aftershocks. They're very dangerous because even though they're usually weaker, they can knock down buildings that didn't fall already.

I'm not talking about aftershocks. I'm talking about major quakes in other places like Alaska and the Phillipines(sp?) around the pacific rim following the first major quake.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
    Thing about this tsunami is they only had minuites to act by time the quake hit. While places like Hawaii had been given so much time in advance. I hear we (the usa) have sent atleast two aircraft carriers full of supplies for a relief effort, one of them being the Reagan, which looked HUGE when I saw the picture.

And as a nuclear emergency is just being implamented all I can say is, God please let that reactor remain intact, these people have suffered enough for one day or a lifetime.

My prayers are with them.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years

As I've pointed out, Japan has faired quite well compared to other recent Earthquakes in proportion to the magnitude of the earthquake. The technology WARNED them. What do you expect to warn them otherwise? Not everyone is a nature whisperer. :/

I was just repeating what the reporter was saying as said in my post :/

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
    Years
    I'm in Ontario, Canada. And we only felt a 5.6 earthquake. Yes we had an earthquake. And it was soft. But a 8.9! That just scares me shitless. And plus the tsunami! Also "entire continent of Japan moved 3 METERS (10 YARDS) to the East" Ok now that is a frightening.

God Bless Japan. Condolences to who was affected. RIP to the innocents who lost their lives to this tragedy.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I saw this this morning (friday morning in my time) and I was shocked at the footage of the waves of dirt and mud taking all those cars and houses away with it...
    I sure hope those reactors don't go into meltdown...I heard they only have a few hours left to stop it >_>

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
    For the last day or so, I have been praying for the safety of those in Japan and for the nueclear reactor to cool down ~
    And 45 countries have said they will aid Japan including the Queen (UK, Australia, New Zeleand) and President Barack Obama (US) etc.

Years
    Very worrying development, if you haven't seen.
    There has been a rather large explosion at one of the Nuclear Power Plants in Fukushima.

Luckily, they are sating it doesn't involve actual nuclear materials, so it could just be a chemical reaction. However, a blast that size is very serious.​

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
    Very worrying development, if you haven't seen.
    There has been a rather large explosion at one of the Nuclear Power Plants in Fukushima.

Luckily, they are sating it doesn't involve actual nuclear materials, so it could just be a chemical reaction. However, a blast that size is very serious.
    It sounds stupid and stuffs, but I found a video on YouTube (ITN news or something like that) with some footage of the blast ~

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    I've heard that the explosion was actually a good thing because it lowered the pressure in the reactor, and the actual reactors themselves were not damaged.

Yeah, I heard that too, and I hope to god that what they've said is true. But either way, with those three events, and all those people dead and missing... I don't if it's just me or what, but I feel so F***in' useless. I wanna go help, and try to do something, other than just sit back on my ass saying. " oh god, that's terrible." Like everyone else would if they were on a different continent.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Well, if that explosion just relieved pressure, it can buy the Japanese people some time to create a plan to cool the reactor down or something.
    Exactly. I think that comparing the issue to Chernobyl is a bit drastic, especially considering the number of safety provisions they had at Chernobyl - a startling none.

Also, I feel bad for Ken Sugimori. Has to spend all his time on Twitter telling people that Tajiri is NOT DEAD. Gawd, who the **** had the audacity to come up with THAT one. ew

Rensider

Do as the Snamor do.
    Years
    I found out about this at 06:00 in the morning on Friday and I was devestated. Couldn't think of anything else the entire day. I pray for Japan that those reactors don't go into meltdown. And I hope nothing else goes wrong either.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2013
    My heart goes out to all the victims and their families. Let's hope the reactor's state doesn't become worse and Japan can begin to recover.

Back