• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Devil May Cry

OverlordMia

I'm absolutely CRAZY about it!
Years
  • Has anyone here played these (awesome) games before?

For those who haven't heard of it, Devil May Cry (also known as DMC) is a hack-and-slash action game based in a fictional world full of demons. In games 1, 2, and 3 you play as Dante, son of the Legendary dark Knight Sparda and his human wife Eva. Dante is a mercenary who specializes in devil hunting. His weapons include a large broardsword known as Rebellion and two twin handguns known as Ebony and Ivory. However, in DMC1, Rebellion was replaced with the Force Edge which later became Sparda's ultimate sword under his name, Sparda. Throughout the games, Dante aquires more and more weapons to use. As a demon, he has access to a powerful form known as Devil Trigger which dons icreased speed and power for a short amount of time. Health Regeneration is also gained sometimes. Dante does not have access to his devil trigger at the start of the game. Only by beating certain missions will you have access to it.

In DMC3 Special Edition, you can choose to play as Dante's evil twin brother Vergil who uses the katana known as Yamato. Vergil does not use guns and instead uses summoned swords. Vergil can access his Devil Trigger at the beginning of the game.

In the game, DMC4, the protagonist was changed to a man named Nero with a demonic right arm known as the Devil Bringer. This weapon is able to grab enemies from far away and pull them toward you so you can hit them with Nero's sword the Red Queen or get a close range attack with his gun the Blue Rose. Dante is playable from Mission 13-19. Only Dante in DMC4 gains new weapons, Nero does not. Yamato is gained in DMC4, granting Nero the use of his Devil Trigger and Dante the Darkslayer style.

The storyline is a little mixed up. To full understand the story a little, it's best to play these games in this order: 3(PS2), 1(PS2), 4(PS3 or XBOX360) and then 2.

If you are a frequent player, I have a few questions of discussion. You don't need to answer them all.

1. Do you believe that Nero is connected to Vergil in some way?
    2. Did you hear about the Devil May Cry Live Action movie?
    3. Did you know there was an anime/novel/manga?
    4. Possible DMC5? (Remember the events of the storyline)
    5. Which of the 4 are your favorites?

Vanilla Kitsune

Bloody git
    Years
  • I'm surprised no one has posted here yet. Anyways. I'm a big DMC fan. My little brother got me into the games when he got DMC 4.

To answer the questions:

1. Actually, there is a possibility. I'm not sure if what I say is considered a spoiler, so I guess I won't.

2. I haven't heard about that one. Is it official yet or no?

3. I have the DMC manga and the novels. I enjoyed the novels much better than the manga. The manga's art style wasn't a big favorite of mine. I liked Dante's personality though. It was amusing. As for the anime, I've watched a few episodes. I haven't had much time to watch more. I want a strawberry sundae now.

4. I hope so. =]

5. My favorite games were DMC 3 and DMC 4.

Blayze

Team Magma Co-Leader
    Years
  • DMC... I love those games! And Dante. :D

Well, when I first watched one of my friends playing DMC 4, the comment came up that Nero could be Dante's son.
    I've not heard too much about it. From the sounds of things, its fallen by the way-side. :(
    Yes, yes and yes. I have Disc one of the anime, both novels, and two of the manga.
    I certainly hope so!
    1 and 4, though it's not that I don't like 2 and 3; I just haven't played them yet. My plan was to play them in order.... 4 messed up my plans. >_< :D

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • I love the DMC games, and I thought the 4th installment was great.

- I had a few thoughts about but put it to the side after a while. Let's just wait and see if any of the theories are correct.
    -I've heard of it but done no real research. I probably won't watch it; 'm not a big fan of videogames/animes becoming live action movies (down with dragonball movie)
    -Yes. Do I read/watch them? No
    -There better be!
    -I read up on the plots of 1 and 2, so I never played them. So out of 3 and 4, my favorite is 4.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    I played the first one and loved it, so i got the second one played it for about an hour turned it off and never touched a DMC game again.

OverlordMia

Years
  • Wow, I finally got posts!

Well, I had heard from my sister who rummages a lot about DMC about the live action movie. I personally haven't heard much.
    Edit: Here's the site with the info on the DMC movie: https://movies.ign.com/articles/422/422228p1.html

There were a lot of conspiracies about Nero being Dante's son but, the closing argument on that is their ages. Dante's probably around 30 and Nero is somewhere between late teens and mid 20s, according to the ding dongs on devils lair.
    And the thing about Vergil is, well, Yamato. Apparently, the voice telling Nero to gain power is Vergil. As well, Vergil was an evil bastard.

I wish the third manga came into existence but the project was dropped. Code Lady (or was it Mary?) will never see the light of day.

New question for you guys!
    If you could decide events for a Devil May Cry 5 (as there is absolutely nothing on it) what would you say happened and when in the storyline does it take place?

personally now, 3 and 4 are my absolute favorites. 1 got waay to boring after I discovered 3 and 2's playing style is horrible. It seemed to RE.

Here's some interesting news (quoted from wikipedia and cited with a source)
    'On July 25, 2008, both WildStorm (a DC Comics' imprint) and Capcom announce that they are joining to create a new Devil May Cry comic book series. The details on the new comic series, including creative team and launch month, will be announced at a later date.'

Last edited:

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
  • Devil May Cry, ftw<3

I guess I did, because of all the rumours I heard and what not. :\ I think it might be something to do with his posessed arm..

Yes I did and I'm so excited. :D

Yup, I've read bits of the manga and watched bits of the show. I quite liked it. :3

Maybe..

It's a tie between DMC 3 and DMC 4.

And your new question.. There's too many possilblities running through my head to answer that. XD; So I'm gonna have to take a pass on that question. :x

OverlordMia

Years
  • lol, that's alright. I'm just trying to induce conversation. But it's a shocker about so many people liking 3 and 4 over the others. Well, now that I think about it, it's not that surprising. lol

Back