• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphic✓] Dialogue Portraits

Cuprite (Kyu)

Formerly TheGoldenRiolu
Years
  • This isn't just for me, but for anyone else who might want to use these. Does anyone know how to make a mugshot pop up when a character speaks? Because that's a really cool feature and I haven't found any tutorials on PokéCommunity for them.
    If you don't know what I mean, here's a screenshot (I believe it's from Victory Fire):
    Dialogue Portraits

Last edited:

Zervais

Island Kahuna
    Years
  • that specific example probably uses showpokepic by making the sprites for the pokemon in the limbo slots the mugshots that were used above. this way is purely cancer, however, and better ways have been made and released

I'm very curious as to how this method truely works. Does it mess up the coin thing it mentions (not that I'm going to use it)? Where do you put the images in UnLZGBA (do you somehow make another image/place to insert it at, eg 1001?)? Does the image have to be 80x80? Also why is using the show pokepic method bad? Is it because of the slots it uses and the fact they are unsafe? What if someone used the Unknowns instead?

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • I'm very curious as to how this method truely works. Does it mess up the coin thing it mentions (not that I'm going to use it)? Where do you put the images in UnLZGBA (do you somehow make another image/place to insert it at, eg 1001?)? Does the image have to be 80x80? Also why is using the show pokepic method bad? Is it because of the slots it uses and the fact they are unsafe? What if someone used the Unknowns instead?
    1.) the coin thing mentioned is just saying that you can't do this and bring up the money textbox at the same time
    2.) free space
    3.) probably; here's another method for 64x64. while he states in his thread that it can be different, he said that it "looks bad" if a different size
    4.) the showpokepic method is bad because of the box it brings up; it just doesn't look good and seems relatively unprofessional </3
    5.) no; these slots would do finely
    6.) then you'd probably change alt unown sprites :P

Zervais

Island Kahuna
    Years
  • 1.) the coin thing mentioned is just saying that you can't do this and bring up the money textbox at the same time
    2.) free space
    3.) probably; here's another method for 64x64. while he states in his thread that it can be different, he said that it "looks bad" if a different size
    4.) the showpokepic method is bad because of the box it brings up; it just doesn't look good and seems relatively unprofessional </3
    5.) no; these slots would do finely
    6.) then you'd probably change alt unown sprites :P

3) That method seems a little easier, but I'm concerned about the palettes. If I'm using a dynamic palette patch, I won't need to overwrite any existing palettes, right? This is the same for mugshots too, yes? I saw someone complain that they were using palette 0, the hero's one, and it didn't work. Also I want my images to be smaller than 64x64, so can I use this method for that too? I could always fill in the extra space with a transparent colour, if I have to.
    4) I see what you mean. I want a box around my mugshots but not as large and like the one used in showpokepic.
    5) What is the point of the limbo slots between Celebi and Treecko? Can they be edited to actual Pokemon and not glitch/cause bugs?
    6)Could you, in theory, have more Pokedex slots if you edit the Unknown sprites, or are they implemented in such a way that they can only be used as forms for another Pokemon? Can you change the Pokedex number of each Unknown? They might be useful for my Arceus forms...

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • Spoiler:
    3.) ??? it should work fine ahaha, it operates off of palettes given (defined in the table which you're supposed to make) and the indices are for the code itself, not defining which palette slot it takes up. the person was thus not using the hero's palette :P
    it is very possible to do less than 64x64, but it would probably be necessary to do 64x64 images with this so yeah transparency rules~
    4.) good luck with that ahaha, you might be able to do so by doing the boxes in the screenshots themselves?
    5.) tbh idk, probably just filler
    they all have their cries hardcoded to unown's though, but can otherwise be actual pokemon. the problem being that they do not have their own pokedex flags/entries
    6.) taking the unown away would take away unown forms :P
    honestly, i just suggest expanding pokemon and then putting the arceus formes there :D

Zervais

Island Kahuna
    Years
  • 3.) ??? it should work fine ahaha, it operates off of palettes given (defined in the table which you're supposed to make) and the indices are for the code itself, not defining which palette slot it takes up. the person was thus not using the hero's palette :P
    it is very possible to do less than 64x64, but it would probably be necessary to do 64x64 images with this so yeah transparency rules~
    4.) good luck with that ahaha, you might be able to do so by doing the boxes in the screenshots themselves?
    5.) tbh idk, probably just filler
    they all have their cries hardcoded to unown's though, but can otherwise be actual pokemon. the problem being that they do not have their own pokedex flags/entries
    6.) taking the unown away would take away unown forms :P
    honestly, i just suggest expanding pokemon and then putting the arceus formes there :D

-I didn't think it used up an overworld palette, but reading through some comments it seemed like it did. Weird. At least I haven't got to worry about that. I'll probably go with the 64x64 method and use my own box and transparency. If I ever get around to doing mugshots, that is.

-Can you, in theory, give them pokedex entries? I don't want to expand the pokedex, as I'm happy having 386 Pokemon in total. Currently my Arceus forms occupy some slots in the Pokedex, but I'm wondering if I can move them to the Unknown slots, or the limbo ones. What I'm trying to say is, can you expand the Pokedex simply by giving the Unknown slots and limbo ones their own pokedex number/entry?

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • Spoiler:
    -Can you, in theory, give them pokedex entries? I don't want to expand the pokedex, as I'm happy having 386 Pokemon in total. Currently my Arceus forms occupy some slots in the Pokedex, but I'm wondering if I can move them to the Unknown slots, or the limbo ones. What I'm trying to say is, can you expand the Pokedex simply by giving the Unknown slots and limbo ones their own pokedex number/entry?
    ok so
    the number of entries which are defined at the moment is 386
    giving the limbo slots pokedex data will assign it the data, but it will not actually show it, if that makes sense. this is because the new entries are not defined. the limbo slots and the unown slots do not actually have pokedex flags dorectly assigned to them, so no, it is not possible to expand the pokedex solely by assigning pokedex data to these slots. i also think that the game is hardcoded to just skip these pokemon when actually looking through the data, but i may be (am probably) wrong there.
    again, i suggest that, if you desire the arceus formes, then you should expand the amount of pokemon slots and maybe add one more pokedex flag for arceus itself? idk how many pokemon you actually have added thus far, but it really wouldn't be that hard to expand upon this.

Cuprite (Kyu)

Formerly TheGoldenRiolu
    Years
  • I think I prefer the 64x64 version. It just looks nicer than the other two and sits right on top of the text box, rather than floating above it like the 80x80 version.
    I'm not sure if I'll even use this, or if I'll have the time to ever make the hack, but if I were to use this, I'd use the 64x64 version.

Back