• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Difference between japanese episodes and english episodes

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2008
    Difference between jap episodes and eng episodes

I have heard that the jp pokemon episodes are better than the us ones because of deleted scenes, and a little more violence. Can anyone else tell me why?

So why it the jp ver better? though i don't speak jp so i wouldn't know :p

Last edited:

lonewolfx44

Is a happy fellow ^^
    Years
    I have heard that the jap pokemon episodes are better than the us ones because of deleted scenes, and a little more violence. Can anyone else tell me why?

So why it the jap ver better? though i don't speak jap so i wouldn't know :p

DUDE! The word "jap" is insensitive term for the Japanese from WWII times. Use JP as an abbreviation.

Also the way they translate some things, is what makes it better.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2008
    oh my bad.
    so translate is what it makes it better?
    wow i never knew that.
    i wish i could understand jp

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years
    I'm sure there are subtitled episodes out there. And speaking of, where is everyone watching the Japanese episodes at?

shedinjask

all about how to pokemoning
    Years
    I have problems with that all the time I'll abbreviate something 'jap' since that's how language files are abbreviated and I'll get in trouble or something. >.<

Yeah the Japanese episodes are much better, right up until PUSA starts dubbing at which point you really can't tell the difference except for the horrible VAs. If you can't understand Japanese just get a subtitled version, they're all over the internet.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2008
    I have problems with that all the time I'll abbreviate something 'jap' since that's how language files are abbreviated and I'll get in trouble or something. >.<

Yeah the Japanese episodes are much better, right up until PUSA starts dubbing at which point you really can't tell the difference except for the horrible VAs. If you can't understand Japanese just get a subtitled version, they're all over the internet.

Uh since when did PUSA start dubbing? like in december?
    But uh yeah there is every jp episodes that is subtitled or just some of the episodes?

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    The BGM. Its amazing how much the BGM can affect some episodes. Take the episode "Get The Show On the Road". I watched it first in English and thought it was quite a boring episode. But a few months ago I decided to watch it in Japanese just to get the opening, but I decided to watch it all the way through, anyway. And I was amazed at how it seemed Pikachu was actually in danger and I realised it was down to the BGM (as well as the better VA, but I think the BGM had more of an effect in this episode). Of course, I know Pikachu can never *really* be in danger but the music just made the episode that more dramatic to make it actually interesting. I find the 4Kids BGM was quite dull in comparison. There are one or two of 4Kids's that are alright, but the rest they use is just so boring and repetitive. PUSA isn't really much better. It has better tunes that last for more than 5 seconds, some that I really, really like, but they sometimes don't fit the scene at all. But there's one in particular that sounds quite horrible that was used quite a lot for the start of Battle Frontier episodes. The tune was nice, but the way it was played was horrible.

So I quite like just watching random AG episodes just to listen to differences in the BGM.

Years
    I fixed the title (finally).

As for Jorah's music issue, Dogasu addressed that in the 8th Hoenn badge finale.

https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/houen/ep112.html

I remember, a few years ago, reading an article about Bruce Falconer, the man responsible for rescoring the music in the Dragon Ball Z dub. I couldn't find the article online to provide you guys with a link, but I remember one portion of the article in which he's talking about scoring a scene where Gohan is being scolded by his tutor in one of the early Trunks saga episodes. He talks about how he wasn't able to score any dramatic music for the scene because the visuals of a little boy being struck by his teacher were considered to be too strong, so he was forced to create "light" background music that would provide a contrast to the intense action on-screen. In this way, the music is used to soften the intensity of the original version, preventing the scene from having to be cut when it was aired on TV.

In a way, I sort of see the scene where a confused Grovyle keeps banging its head against the pillar as falling under the same category. In the Japanese version, the music is very serious and dramatic, and that combined with the image of a pokemon slamming its head into a stone pillar makes the scene really intense. But the music in the dub is the same music they play whenever someone is doing something goofy or playful, and I think the reason is the same as it was in Dragon Ball Z's case. 4Kids or Kids' WB! or somebody thought the scene was a little too much, so they decided to lighten the mood of the whole thing by playing goofy music.

If it weren't for the goofy music, the scene could have been considered to be too violent and may have been cut. So, you know, if we get a mostly uncut episode at the expense of a somewhat inappropriate song choice, then I guess I can live with that.

So, there you go.

masterman2332

something
    Years
    the

the differnt is that they speak jappeannes

Difference between japanese episodes and english episodes

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2008
    The background music - Unlike the english one, you get to hear music AND songs from kanto to DP and movie #1 to #9. The way they used the music is really great too! It makes an episode so much better to watch than just 'uh.......ok<stares blankly at the scene........done'. I swear music is one of the reasons why i like pokemon so much. Take for example, in the episode 'Veilstone Gym! Lucario Vs Buizel!', they used Aaron's theme from the 8th movie, opening theme from the 9th movie, and the ending theme of the FIRST season. I tell ya, if its the english version, its gonna be those repetitive battle music again.

The voice actors(VA)
    - The english one really doesn't cut it. They all just sound so unnatural to me, especially Ash, although I must say Sarah has improved alot... The original voice actors are just wayyy better. Go check it out, a touching episode like 'Goodbye Pikachu', the part where Pikachu runs towards Ash. Ash opens his arms and attempts to embrace Pikachu while saying: "Pikachu!". I watched the raw version and it was touching, and then....i watched the english version and i was lol'ing(no offense). Its either English voice actor sounds unnatural, is inexperienced, or perhaps i just like the japanese one more ;) Basically i feel that the original voice actors put in alot of effort and emotions when they voice act.

OP and ending themes - You have RAP in the english version and i was like wow wtf pokemon RAP? I can't imagine having majority of the audience whos 6-12 being introduced to rap as a form of music, especially since literally every growing kid will watch pokemon. But i guess different cultures take it differently..bleh. The only english theme i like is Pokemon Johto, really well done imo. The rest is.....well kinda bad imo. The scenes in the OP/ending themes of the jpn are really great, some are memorable, some are touching, some are dramatic. Take for example https://youtube.com/watch?v=m6W0p7ukazo&feature=related , nice memorable and a lil touching ending isn't it?

Oh and the way pokemon growls in the english version annoys me.

Last edited:

BDT

On my way to be a MASTER
    Years
    The BGM. Its amazing how much the BGM can affect some episodes. Take the episode "Get The Show On the Road". I watched it first in English and thought it was quite a boring episode. But a few months ago I decided to watch it in Japanese just to get the opening, but I decided to watch it all the way through, anyway. And I was amazed at how it seemed Pikachu was actually in danger and I realised it was down to the BGM (as well as the better VA, but I think the BGM had more of an effect in this episode). Of course, I know Pikachu can never *really* be in danger but the music just made the episode that more dramatic to make it actually interesting. I find the 4Kids BGM was quite dull in comparison. There are one or two of 4Kids's that are alright, but the rest they use is just so boring and repetitive. PUSA isn't really much better. It has better tunes that last for more than 5 seconds, some that I really, really like, but they sometimes don't fit the scene at all. But there's one in particular that sounds quite horrible that was used quite a lot for the start of Battle Frontier episodes. The tune was nice, but the way it was played was horrible.

So I quite like just watching random AG episodes just to listen to differences in the BGM.

I know they do alot of changes like some BGM and some scenes might get cut or changed etc.. but when i saw Jorah comment about 1st episode of Advanced I decided to watch to see the music and i agree its much better then the English dub and its kinda dark to, but that wasent the only BGM that got changed even more after that was different than the dub and i was like OMG, makes me wanna watch the hole series in Japanese from Season 1 - 10 NOW! lol. I know alot pf stuff got changed in Movie 1 the music socre is different and in the JP one its sooo dark..

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I know they do alot of changes like some BGM and some scenes might get cut or changed etc.. but when i saw Jorah comment about 1st episode of Advanced I decided to watch to see the music and i agree its much better then the English dub and its kinda dark to, but that wasent the only BGM that got changed even more after that was different than the dub and i was like OMG, makes me wanna watch the hole series in Japanese from Season 1 - 10 NOW! lol. I know alot pf stuff got changed in Movie 1 the music socre is different and in the JP one its sooo dark..

I'm glad you agree! But 4Kids were OK with the first few series, they just changed a few here and there. Apparently, its when they got to mid-Johto that they started taking loads out and by Advanced you were lucky to get 4 tracks from the original. I don't know where they started taking loads out precisely because the last time I watched mid-Johto was about 5 years ago, its just what Dogasu has said. But that's definatly the case with Master Quest and Advanced, its filled with 4Kids stuff.

But PUSA's getting better, they're keeping in more and more BGM whereas 4Kids was keeping less and less.

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
    Well, storywise, not much changes are made between the dub and the original, I mean Ash and Satoshi both are still aiming to win the Shinou League. Hikari and Dawn are still on their journey to become a top Pokemon coordinator.

Perhaps here and there some changes are made. General outline remains more or less the same.

The original japanese opening and endings are specifically animated to match the opening or ending song in lyrics and mood. Most dub opening consist of scenes that are from the actual episode. The dub does has some good point, I mean "This Dream" still beats "Challenger" by far in my book and the animation sequence in the opening of "Johto League Champions" is done great.

The opening of "Johto League Champions" is the only episode were 4Kids actually went as far as having the japanese studio animate a whole new opening for the English dub. The difference with other dub openings can be noticed: it matches the rhytme better, it utilizes nearly zero episode scenes and fits the mood of the song much better.

As for the VA's, I can't really say anything about that since I've stopped watching the dubbed version of Pokemon since the start of Advanced Generation, though I occasionally pick a few English episode to watch.

As for the background music. I have to agree with the rest that it is lacking in the dub. DP019 (where Hikari releases Pachirisu) is a nice example. Dogasu basically burned the dub down to the ground for this scene (first side note).
    I've uploaded both versions. Watch the dubbed version and then the original version. See how both are from the same scene, yet the impact differ greatly.

BDT

On my way to be a MASTER
    Years
    I'm glad you agree! But 4Kids were OK with the first few series, they just changed a few here and there. Apparently, its when they got to mid-Johto that they started taking loads out and by Advanced you were lucky to get 4 tracks from the original. I don't know where they started taking loads out precisely because the last time I watched mid-Johto was about 5 years ago, its just what Dogasu has said. But that's definatly the case with Master Quest and Advanced, its filled with 4Kids stuff.

But PUSA's getting better, they're keeping in more and more BGM whereas 4Kids was keeping less and less.

To be honest 4Kids did AMAZING Job with Pokemon 10/10, even if it has some scenes cut e.i Misty slaps Ash, or changing the food from Rice Balls to Burger/Cracker, even the BGM. Cos if you think bank when you watched the show having some stuff liek that would be like bad, such as Ash getting slapped..thats a JP reference as they do slap in there culture (have you seen there whacky TV shows) only US hardcore are kinda angry that the changes that made cos if i go bk in time as a kid i wouldnt care even the kids nower days. So you will allway have some changes from original to a dub, maybe 4Kids has been bad with other shows but they did a great job with Pokemon. And PUSA needs to shape up fast cos its gone down hill since season 9 (my opinon) Theme song sucks, 4Kids were better. VA is meh with some characters, i can accept Dawn as you never heard from her b4, Ash seems to have gone older but somin about him make him look silly even more so than Season 1 etc..etc.. But yea bad mouth 4 Kids all you want but they did a great job with Pokemon and i wish they still did the show. and i cant beleive a company of the show and game etc.. cant do it 10 times better than 4Kids did..

Thats enough ranting for now lol.

Now then need to watch Season 1+ in Original JP with Subs and all the Films..any help :P

wolverfrog

Working on a Hack
    Years
    japenese animes-crazy, full of violence and robots that turn into plants
    english animes- sensible, devoid of any violence whatsoever and full of morals.

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2008
    japenese animes-crazy, full of violence and robots that turn into plants
    english animes- sensible, devoid of any violence whatsoever and full of morals.

/facepalm, I think you need to support your arguement than just tossing your 'facts'.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I don't speak JP, but it seemed like there were more feeling on the JP episodes and movies. I watched the JP episode of "Top-Down Training" which came out first. It seemed better than the English one. I wish I could understand JP.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2008
    I have heard that Japanese versions r better than English.But i don't understand Japanese, so English versions are good for me.

Back