• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Different Strokes for Different Blokes!" Episode Discussion

Years
    Here is where you can discuss the return of Paul and the variations of Battle technique in the alternating "Different Strokes for Different Blokes!".

My review to come forthwith.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    ...I am embarrased to admit that I failed to see this episode...and the majority of yesterday's, as well (I remembered just before Ash's battle with Turtwig). I'm going to guess that I didn't miss much, though.

Years
    i just watched it half an hour ago. nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i can't believe that ash lost to such a........a...........meanie.....person. this site dosnt allow any bad words so i can't say what I think he is! anyways it was a tough fight and is worth watching anyways! i like the battles that have cool strategies to them!

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    He's a prick. Ash lost to him.

What is he, the Green Ranger or something? Ash had BETTER come back and beat this guy, or I'll lose all respect for him.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    He's a prick. Ash lost to him.

What is he, the Green Ranger or something? Ash had BETTER come back and beat this guy, or I'll lose all respect for him.

Hmm...I dunno...

Even though I haven't seen the episode yet, I figure this is as good a time as any to bring this up: the more that I think about it after seeing how he battled Ash in the third DP episode, the more that it occurs to me that Paul is probably the closest we have gotten in the anime to how someone in real life would battle/train. He actually goes for the best Pokemon he can get, and if they don't work for him then he uses different ones. Granted, there's nothing about EVs, but then again that's never going to come up anyway...

ChrisG14

I'm back baby!
    Years
    i just watched it half an hour ago. nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i can't believe that ash lost to such a........a...........meanie.....person. this site dosnt allow any bad words so i can't say what I think he is! anyways it was a tough fight and is worth watching anyways! i like the battles that have cool strategies to them!

Paul's a young Gary, minus the cheerleaders and car. I basically missed the episode, but I did see the first battle between Turtwig and Chimcar. Those two will make great Infernape and Torterra someday.

Years
    While most of the episode was filler (although, I did love the CGI graphics of the Stantle horn attack, and I wish they did that in Stantler's first Johto episode), I can't argue with the finale as such. One of the major flaws I had with the first battle with Paul was Pikachu and the lack of continuity with its power. But now, we have what we all faced in the games: the fact the rival has the superior starter to yours. Naturally, in a battle like that, the advantage is clear, but Ash did amazing, given the odds.

Or maybe, it was time to face an actual rival, not a standby extra like the Gary character, really. I enjoyed the unbrided arrogance and for once, someone superior, in function, at least. I'm not talking Robert as "I'm better than you, but no harsh feelings" kind of way, but almost anime Giovanni type of superiority. It's extremely refreshing, and a good kick in the pants to the maudlin sappiness of just about everyone else in the series.

I kinda enjoyed the Rocket part, if only because Paul realistically attacked them in the middle of the motto as it should be at times. Still, surprised they didn't return, but because of the ending, I'm not broken-hearted about it.

However, I will gag on the constant use of Chimchar's Flame Wheel animation. 10 times in one episode? It's not the first time this kind of repetition has occurred, and won't be the last.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Or maybe, it was time to face an actual rival, not a standby extra like the Gary character, really. I enjoyed the unbrided arrogance and for once, someone superior, in function, at least. I'm not talking Robert as "I'm better than you, but no harsh feelings" kind of way, but almost anime Giovanni type of superiority. It's extremely refreshing, and a good kick in the pants to the maudlin sappiness of just about everyone else in the series.

I kinda enjoyed the Rocket part, if only because Paul realistically attacked them in the middle of the motto as it should be at times. Still, surprised they didn't return, but because of the ending, I'm not broken-hearted about it.

That is a good point. Maybe this is where Ash will finally win a League. Final battle of the League against Paul. And he finally puts that guy in his place there. That would be kind of cool.

The part where Paul attacked in the middle of the motto was just icing on the cake. Ash could really learn something from Paul.

And no, people wouldn't really release their Pokemon when they get weak. It just wouldn't happen. That'd be like getting rid of a dog or a cat because you're bored with them. It just doesn't happen. Granted also, Pokemon Battling would be outlawed in real life anyway (for the same reason dogfights and cockfights are, it's really inhumane). Paul's just a prick in that department.

ThePokemaster999

Master Of All Pokemon
    Years
    That is a good point. Maybe this is where Ash will finally win a League. Final battle of the League against Paul. And he finally puts that guy in his place there. That would be kind of cool.

The part where Paul attacked in the middle of the motto was just icing on the cake. Ash could really learn something from Paul.

And no, people wouldn't really release their Pokemon when they get weak. It just wouldn't happen. That'd be like getting rid of a dog or a cat because you're bored with them. It just doesn't happen. Granted also, Pokemon Battling would be outlawed in real life anyway (for the same reason dogfights and cockfights are, it's really inhumane). Paul's just a prick in that department.

1-that would be nice, ash actually winning a league for once

2-just plain funny

3-that was NOT okay

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I love Shinji.
    Whether he's a ..er...'meanie'.. or not. x3
    I always seem to like the rivals, probably because I find them more amusing.

This episode is actually one of my favorites so far, so I took special care not to miss the dub when it aired.

'Felt sorry for Ash, but dang Shinji is awesome in a ruthless/I-hate-the-world sort of way.

And poor Turtwig.
    It got totally pwned multiple times in one episode.. xD

Years
    Actually, I didn't mind Paul's release of his Pokemon as we finally get to see that converted in terms of game mechanics, besides the montages and hammy farewells. Heh.

But if they later attempt to engender some sympathy in terms of Paul's turmoil, like they did with Drew, then that's it. I'm sorry as they dropped the ball with Gary, however, Drew is fine with his development, yes, but you need an actual jerk like Paul stirring it up. Mostly, we have no real villains per se (Early J/J/M, maybe, but anymore, it's a crapshoot), and need something to fill the gap.

Or until Giovanni takes over and says, "that's it, I'm gonna hunt this kid down, and...(insert your own threat there)." Heh.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    But if they later attempt to engender some sympathy in terms of Paul's turmoil, like they did with Drew, then that's it. I'm sorry as they dropped the ball with Gary, however, Drew is fine with his development, yes, but you need an actual jerk like Paul stirring it up. Mostly, we have no real villains per se (Early J/J/M, maybe, but anymore, it's a crapshoot), and need something to fill the gap.

We DO need a real villain. I won't lie to you there. It seems like every time there is potential for some awesome villain to come along, they either turn good or some stupid gimmick (such as a writer half-***ing the plot, which has happened THREE times already) stops them before they have a chance to cause any real damage.

I mean, geez. In He-Man and She-Ra we had real villains, and those were 80s cartoons (and also geared toward younger audiences, just like Pokemon)! Why can't we get a real freaking villain in Pokemon?

And I'm sorry, but I'll say this now. If Paul ends up joining the group or turning into a main goody two-shoes character after what he's been like so far, I'll make a Fic where the whole gang dies. Seriously, I will kill them off.

And JJM aren't even worthy to be called Mid-Boss.

And for those of you that don't know, I am a HUGE Pokemon fan.

Last edited:
    Years
    We DO need a real villain. I won't lie to you there. It seems like every time there is potential for some awesome villain to come along, they either turn good or some stupid gimmick (such as a writer half-***ing the plot, which has happened THREE times already) stops them before they have a chance to cause any real damage.

I mean, geez. In He-Man and She-Ra we had real villains, and those were 80s cartoons (and also geared toward younger audiences, just like Pokemon)! Why can't we get a real freaking villain in Pokemon?

And I'm sorry, but I'll say this now. If Paul ends up joining the group or turning into a main goody two-shoes character after what he's been like so far, I'll make a Fic where the whole gang dies. Seriously, I will kill them off.

And JJM aren't even worthy to be called Mid-Boss.

We need to hang out more often. Seriously.

I dunno, I liked Maxie's approach best in terms of the Big Bads, and too bad it went nowhere. And Homura and Izumi were great villains, but too bad we'll never see them again. Headdesk.

I don't think you can compare the great 80's cartoons with the Politically Correct times Pokemon is in now. But I hear you all over. Heh.

As for JJM, whenever they show their vicious streak, that could possibly count as Mid-Boss material. Or I got to take what I can get, which is all you can do on this silly series.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    Wow! I remember when the original episode of "Forest of Hesitation!! Shinji Again!!" aired in Japan. And now it's finally here, however with a crappy pun instead of the poetic, epic name it once gracefully carried internationally.
    I wasn't even really to infatuated with him then. But during the time between this time and his next appearance, I fell in loooove!
    And btw, just because I can, Shinji is better than Ash//Satoshi. Shinji is hotter than Ash/Satoshi and I'm really happy Shinji-sama beats Ash/Satoshi so much.

Spoiler:

I'm so evil, aren't I
    8D
    Using both Japanese and English names because I'm referencing both the original and the dub. Confusing, eh?

btw, is this thread also for the original version of the episode? Because I got a few translation requests.

Years
    btw, is this thread also for the original version of the episode? Because I got a few translation requests.

Once Dogasu posts his comparison, yes, discussing the Japanese version is perfectly fine. Or, if you can post independent proof from a reliable source, that's also fine with me. Go for it.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    And don't get me wrong. If Paul has a reason for being like he is, that's fine. After all, even villains need development.

But if he turns into this Tommy-good-guy character, that's going overboard.

Back