• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Different Strokes for Different Blokes!" Episode Discussion

Psi Yamaneko

Lunatic Pandora
    Years
    Okay, I'll just come out with it: I do those "Roleplay" things on the Livejournal circuits (Not for everyone, I know). And in this one rpg, a huge one with 300+ members and a few million comments I uh. Play Paul.

So I always have to play close attention to the kid. And my feeling is that he'll have a kind streak in him while still remaining a bit prickly.

I'm hoping they celebrate Cyrus. In the game he was an effective villain and if they keep his goals the same here as well as the way he talks? Golden. They just have to not make Galactic look exactly like Team Rocket.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    So I always have to play close attention to the kid. And my feeling is that he'll have a kind streak in him while still remaining a bit prickly.

Just a slong as it isn't a Vegeta case, where he suddenly turns good and inexplicably becomes way weaker than the main guy. Or a Sesshomaru case where he takes pity on a kid, or a small Pokemon and lets them tag along.

Psi Yamaneko

Lunatic Pandora
    Years
    Just a slong as it isn't a Vegeta case, where he suddenly turns good and inexplicably becomes way weaker than the main guy. Or a Sesshomaru case where he takes pity on a kid, or a small Pokemon and lets them tag along.

Yes, agreed. Well, the Sesshomarou case could work but only if done WELL. It would have to be sort of...gradually led into. Because if he just randomly did that it would be inconsistent at this point.

Years
    • VA
    • Seen Aug 13, 2007
    ???????

How Come Ash Sucks So Much He Has Been Everywhere With Pikachu It Would Be Well Over Lv.100 By Now And He Also Should Just Teach It Return Ohk

Years
    Ash Shouldve Killed Paul's Pokemon Hands Down

Anyway. As for Paul shifting into good, well, Drew's later character development swung that way to a degree, and he didn't lose his edge much. It's a degree of subtlety in the writing, and I'd rather have that, than the bizarre pacing the series now endures. Augh.

Psi Yamaneko

Lunatic Pandora
    Years
    Anyway. As for Paul shifting into good, well, Drew's later character development swung that way to a degree, and he didn't lose his edge much. It's a degree of subtlety in the writing, and I'd rather have that, than the bizarre pacing the series now endures. Augh.

Yes. I can buy anything if it's done in a "realistic" and believable manner.

Paul strikes me as having a kind streak somewhere inside (Jerk with a Heart of Gold) and I wouldn't mind seeing that come out somewhere as long he maintains what it is that makes him Paul.

~Psi Yamaneko, High Queen of the Incoherent

MasterWGS

Impossible=Nothing, Mewtwo=OU
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Ohio
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    I like Paul's approach to Pokemon. Catch everything that looks strong. Finally, sombody who sees "OMG, a rampaging Ursaring!" and rather than run away, he fights it and catches it. Jeez, why doesn't Ash do that? Why doesn't everyone do that? What? Beedrill! Fire-type + Battle = Capture. Huzzah? A Gyarados!? Go Pikachu, with your 4X effective thunderbolt that can even hurt ground types. New Gyarados in your team.

I do hope he lightens up a little bit, though. I'm not a fan of the releasing the Pokes. I'd like the Gary approach where it's catch and train, regardless. I want to stick with the arrogance/jerk factor though. That makes him worth keeping around. If he's just another sissy with a good team, I'll be ticked.

Voltrex

Pikachooper
    Years
    I like Paul's approach to Pokemon. Catch everything that looks strong. Finally, sombody who sees "OMG, a rampaging Ursaring!" and rather than run away, he fights it and catches it. Jeez, why doesn't Ash do that? Why doesn't everyone do that? What? Beedrill! Fire-type + Battle = Capture. Huzzah? A Gyarados!? Go Pikachu, with your 4X effective thunderbolt that can even hurt ground types. New Gyarados in your team.

I do hope he lightens up a little bit, though. I'm not a fan of the releasing the Pokes. I'd like the Gary approach where it's catch and train, regardless. I want to stick with the arrogance/jerk factor though. That makes him worth keeping around. If he's just another sissy with a good team, I'll be ticked.

Haha, funny but correct. Ash needs to stop acting as if he hasnt gone through Kanto,Johto,Orange Islands,Hoenn,Battle Frointier,etc... Why the hell is his Pikachu freaken tieing with an elekid when it just beat a regice?

Last edited:

Nekonron

Aspiring Pokémon Master
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    I totally agree with Voltrex.

The episode is cool and all, and I don't really mind Shinji/Paul being the way he is... but Ash losing to him just kinda ticks me off. He needs to get Charizard back and pwn some n00bs :15:

Years
    There was something that bothered me, that I didn't think on at the time. Okay, the Meowth Balloon explodes, the Rockets blast off, and the delayed shockwave apparently knocks Paul and Ash backward. What I'm taking issue is, the Meowth Balloon/the mechas/whatever have exploded many, many times before, and we get a shockwave effect maybe, like, 1/10th of the time.

So, why, now, beyond the obvious plot contrivance of separating Paul/Ash from the rest of the group? Bah, silly writers.

Shinji_

Paul addicted
    Years
    OMG..I MISSED PAUL?!?! I love that guy hes so dark and cool :H Is there anywhere I can watch this episode where its uploaded Gah x_x I must've been on some sorta drug to of missed this episode,Seeesh.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    Comment time!

-Paul, Paul, Paul... Thank you for stopping their motto.
    -Cool BGMs in one episodes: Wild battle, AG first theme song, you name them.
    -Repetition? I don't think so...

Nothing more to say. I'm re-watching the DP episodes.

Back