• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Difficulty in starting

Years
  • Hello, I don't know if this is the right place for this and I apologise if these kinds of threads pop up so often.

I have an idea for a Romhack. I already know that it's going to be a mountain and a half to overcome. My main issues is I don't know how to get started in my Romhack. I have my ideas, it's just working on implementing them. I'm weirdly blessed with being able to sprite and I can wrap my head around coding but my issue is getting started. I have a vanilla FR rom ready, I basically followed this post but I think due to tutorials being spread out, I am having difficulty wrapping my head around a few things, like how to create and use tile sets and using advancemap and then putting in overworld sprites and scripting.

I also want to ask, when it comes to features that can be patched in, do I do that before or after editing the rom? So say if I get halfway through the project then decide I want a day/night cycle in my FR rom, would I have to start over to patch it in?

Sadly, I am the type of person who learns best when I have a project and someone to help me reach the end of that small project. If I could have someone help me with even creating, scripting and so on a small town, a route and maybe a gym, I would be set, but right now, switching around a bunch of tutorials with different writing styles and advice is making this initial hurdle a lot harder to clear.

Again, I apologise for the spam. I just don't know where else to post this.

Years
  • I haven't started yet simply because I guess analysis paralysis. I don't really know the range of things that I can do and I'm trying to sort of figure things out at my own pace. I'll take a look at the video tutorial, thanks. Though may I ask what the difference between binary hacking and decomp hacking is? Nothing is really clear.

Years
    • Seen today
    I haven't started yet simply because I guess analysis paralysis. I don't really know the range of things that I can do and I'm trying to sort of figure things out at my own pace. I'll take a look at the video tutorial, thanks. Though may I ask what the difference between binary hacking and decomp hacking is? Nothing is really clear.

Binary hacking is editing a ROM file with various tools to create a hack.
    Decomp hacking is editing the game's decompiled source code and data files and compiling them into a ROM.

The latter is a bit harder to setup but has numerous advantages over binary hacking.

Back