• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Diffrence Between G/S/ and HG/SS

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
    Gold/Silver came out in the US in 2000. Crystal released in 2001. And yeah, as much as I loved Red, Blue, and Yellow back in the day, G/S/C has always been, and still is my absolute favorite in the series.

Aww so I was 4 then Lol what do you mean the Atk and Sp.atk split?
    In Diamond and Pearl they changed it to where moves were either a physical attack or a special attack based on what the move actually did rather than only on it's type.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2009
    im just 14, i don't remember much on Pokemon silver, but i remember there weren't as many mini games as there are now :laugh:

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    I got Blue version when I was 4/5 for christmas. (My 5th birthday was the day after Christmas) By the time I got Gold/Silver, I was about 7/8 and I had plenty of knowledge on playing Pokemon. Took me a while to learn at 5 though.=P

I would say whatever that area to the left of Cianwood is should be a big difference from G/S, I mean, look at its size!

Edit: I'm 16 now btw.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
    actually, in R/B/Y, it was Atk, Def, Spcl, and Spd. in G/S/C, they split the Spcl into, what we know today as the Sp.Atk and Sp.Def. There was a lot in G/S that was introduced, which was very surprising for a second gen game of any kind, in my opinion. when i found that they got rid of the Day/Night Modifier in R/S/E, i wanted to cry. i was glad they brought it back in D/P/P.

Years
    What the New Games have that the old ones didn't have:
    ANY POKEMON CAN FOLLOW YOU! Any of the 493 Pokemon including legendaries. How awesome is that?!
    MAGNET TRAIN IS IN 3D. <3 OMG.
    New intros.
    BETTER GRAPHICS.
    Updated music.
    Itemfinder added to the Pokegear.
    Can catch Hoenn and Sinnoh legendaries.
    New areas.
    9 Mini games.
    New gym puzzles.
    New girl (who isn't Kris.)
    Pc boxes, pack, pokegear, menu all on the touch screen
    Eusine is back in HGSS. (Crystal elements.)
    Legendaries have their own music this time.
    Kimono girls get a bigger role.
    Team Rocket dances in Kimono studio.
    Male Playable character gets a new look.
    Pokewalker.
    Rival looks cuter.
    ACTUAL DOUBLE BATTLES this time. (It wasn't in the old games.)
    Team Rocket executives have newer clothes.
    Ho-oh and Lugia's levels are higher and you see them at the climax of the story.
    You can get Red Gyarados and actually trade it to DPPt.

Years
    At least I'm stating some differences here. Your response has been underlined and mine is in bold.
    GymLeaderLily/Hiroshi Sotomura/Me again. said:
    Any of the 493 Pokemon including legendaries can follow you. How awesome is that?! - Actually something special Yes, yes it is.
    Magnet Train is in 3D. <3 OMG. - Cosmetic change It's still cool. Trains are my favorite form of transportation.
    New intros. - Cosmetic change (I like it, though. Especially those title screens, and the addition of Silver.)
    BETTER GRAPHICS. - Cosmetic change Change for the better. Good news for spriters or those who want to make comics that take place in Johto. (I've been wanting to make a comic that takes place in Johto. Now I don't have to finish making Johto maps w/ FrLg graphics.)
    Updated music. - Cosmetic change It sounds better to me.
    Itemfinder added to the Pokegear. - Cosmetic change It's better than having to go down a long list to use it.
    Can catch Hoenn and Sinnoh legendaries. - Actually something special It's good for those who don't have RSE or DPPt.
    New areas. - What exactly, is unconfirmed. But might be special. (I'm talking about extended part of Cianwood, area west of National park, and Shinto Ruins.)
    9 Mini games. - Special to those who care. At least it's something new to do for those who would like try something different.
    New gym puzzles. - Cosmetic change, and plus you won't go back to the gyms after the first time anyway, will you? Do 16 (or less) puzzles justify a new game? I didn't say they did. I'm just stating the differences. (I go back to the gyms more than once, because I feel like talking to the gym leader unlike a lot of people. Also, I like to do a new game once in a while.)
    New girl (who isn't Kris.) - Cosmetic change and people would like to disagree about this being good. I didn't say all changes were good. The new girl wasn't in Gold or Silver. Also, if you play as the boy, the girl is the supporting role and vice versa. The original GS games didn't have that. Crystal didn't have the other protagonist play a supporting role. I'm happy I can play as someone new.
    PC boxes, bag, pokegear, pokedex, menu all on the touch screen - Cosmetic change But it appears to be easier to use. (For me anyway.) I use my left hand to hold the stylus, so I don't have to take it out of my hand to press the a, b, x, and y buttons. The Pokedex is better so you don't have to go down a long list of 493 names.
    Eusine is back in HGSS. (Crystal elements.) - Cosmetic change and special? It is special. The additions from Crystal added to remakes of Gold and Silver are special. That means we may get Buena's Password on the Pokegear.
    Legendaries have their own music this time. - Cosmetic change It's still better, and you don't have to have Colosseum or XD Gale of Darkness to get them now.
    Kimono girls get a bigger role. - Really all that special? Yes, they were cool. It's something that the originals didn't have.
    Team Rocket dances in Kimono studio. - And this too? It didn't happen in the original. I found it funny when I saw the grunt.
    Male Playable character gets a new look. - Cosmetic change A change for the better (to me anyway.)
    Pokewalker. - Not part of the remake Didn't say it was. It comes inside the box.
    ACTUAL DOUBLE BATTLES this time. (It wasn't in the old games.) - Cosmetic change, FRLG did it. I don't care what FrLg did. I haven't even finished playing Red version. I never played Blue. I thought Red version was awful. (Mainly, because of the Red everywhere. Gold was my first game.) Double battles weren't in the original games for those who do not know.
    Team Rocket executives have newer clothes. - Cosmetic change - if they have a better story then yay Hey, they actually might.
    Ho-oh and Lugia's levels are higher and you see them at the climax of the story. - Cosmetic change, and what's with the last part? Didn't they say that you have to encounter it? Instead of it only being an option like last time?
    You can get Red Gyarados and actually trade it to DPPt. - Cosmetic change and also a given - no duh you can trade it Okay, that wasn't nice. You don't have to say "duh" to me. :( I know that Red Gyarados can be traded to DPPt. I'm telling the ones who didn't know that Red Gyarados is actually in this game. Some people were actually questioning whether or not it would be in this game, or if Lance would catch it instead of you. I have to point out what most say are "the obvious" so the ones who didn't know would understand.

I didn't say these were the reasons for getting the game. I'm just stating some of the changes for those who didn't know. Not everyone knows about the game as much as some of the members here. I've noticed some people asking recently if the Pokemon following the trainer is true or not. Some people just joined this month and they don't know all the info. I'm helping them out. The title of the thread asks what the differences are? I'm actually stating some of the differences unlike a lot of people here that have already posted.

Also, there is a chance of a better Kanto. The areas that were closed in the original may be reopened. They can do what they were unable to do last time, because of memory space.

Some other changes: Running shoes, two items on select, the Pokedex isn't a long list of names anymore. It's a lot easier. You don't have to hold down the B button to run. I know it's not a major change, but it's more convenient.

Last edited:

Alex31

Pro D<
    Years
    HG/SS do appear to be nothing more than a directors cut of the originals, as we don't know enough to fully decide.

So far, most things seem to be cosmetic changes.

Years
    Cosmetic changes are still changes nevertheless. The title asks what the differences are. I merely stated some of the differences. Not much info has been revealed on how much the plot has changed or stayed the same. They're most likely going to base it off of FrLg instead of RBY and possibly mention (doubt they'll add, but just mention) the Sevii Islands. Also, in this game, you can catch Mewtwo. (At least that's what Pokemon Sunday is hinting at.)

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
    i'm not really a big fan of the heroine's new look. i actually like the way she looked in Crystal...oh well...

and i do agree with GymLeaderLily, that yes, they are cosmetic changes, but never-the-less are changes. can't wait for spring next year! :D

and just be patient, philip1992. it'll be worth the wait. at least....i hope. lol

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    So I will have to play the original G/S or a hack until then;)
    I play all pokemon games on computer now anyway because the small screen hurts my eyes

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
    that's what i've been doing. i've been playing it on my PSP. kind of nice, because it gives it more of that authentic feel, being on a handheld as opposed to being on the computer. although...playing on the computer gives you a MUCH bigger screen. :laugh:

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    that's what i've been doing. i've been playing it on my PSP. kind of nice, because it gives it more of that authentic feel, being on a handheld as opposed to being on the computer. although...playing on the computer gives you a MUCH bigger screen. :laugh:
    I play longer on a computer because of that:)

Years
    Personally, I liked playing FrLg A LOT better than Red version.

I know I'll like HG/SS better than the originals. Everything good from the old games has been updated and improved. I can finally play a game that takes place in Johto that is compatible to the newer games. (If HGSS isn't compatible to FrLg or RSE, I don't mind, because I can migrate to Sinnoh and trade those Pokemon to HGSS.) I can also make a new Johto party and trade it over to Platinum to battle in the Sinnoh Battle Frontier. Also, I don't have to buy a memory card for XD Gale of Darkness to get Johto Pokemon. I can finally have a Johto starter again and I don't have to complete the Hoenn dex in Emerald.

Also, I'm looking forward to my rematch with Red at Mount Silver with a better team and the new attacks. I want to use Meganium's Frenzy Plant against Red's Blastoise.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
    lol yeah, it is kind of nice. the nice thing is that the emulator i use on the PSP saves in the same format as the VBA, so i can go back and forth with my save. i love it...if it wasn't for eBay, i wouldn't have had a PSP with the hacked firmware, though...then i wouldn't have that option.

the one upside that i find to the emulator on the PC is the fact that you have the option to speed up the game. i'll do that when i'm trainging Pokémon, as it makes the training process much more painless. i've found myself spending "10 hours" training...10 hours game time, that is. :laugh: in reality that 10 hours may be a matter of 30-minutes.

and i have to agree with you, Lily. it was more because the game was aesthetically pleasing than anything, though, as the storyline, for the most part, was still about as dry as the original. i did like the addition of the Sevii Islands, though.

what would be interesting for them to put into Heart Gold and Soul Silver would be...well, i think it would have to be the Orange Archipelago. you know, the Orange Island League. not sure how many here would remember that...

JBW

Years
    Even if HG/SS is the same as G/S so what? Some people have bought Diamond, pearl and platinum and aren't they exactly the same apart from the pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2010
    ANY POKEMON CAN FOLLOW YOU! Any of the 493 Pokemon including legendaries. How awesome is that?!
    MAGNET TRAIN IS IN 3D. <3 OMG.
    New intros.
    BETTER GRAPHICS.
    Updated music.
    Itemfinder added to the Pokegear.
    Can catch Hoenn and Sinnoh legendaries.
    New areas.
    9 Mini games.
    New gym puzzles.
    New girl (who isn't Kris.)
    Pc boxes, pack, pokegear, menu all on the touch screen
    Eusine is back in HGSS. (Crystal elements.)
    Legendaries have their own music this time.
    Kimono girls get a bigger role.
    Team Rocket dances in Kimono studio.
    Male Playable character gets a new look.
    Pokewalker.
    Rival looks cuter.
    ACTUAL DOUBLE BATTLES this time. (It wasn't in the old games.)
    Team Rocket executives have newer clothes.
    Ho-oh and Lugia's levels are higher and you see them at the climax of the story.
    You can get Red Gyarados and actually trade it to DPPt.

wow, thats alot of info! thanks! time to show those people there wrong

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
    LOTS OF DIFERENCES

- D/P/Pt Graphics
    - new sprites
    - the boy ow you can acually tell its gold (in the old game it looked like red)
    - 3 & 4 gen pokemon
    - wifi
    - Pkmn follow you
    - new storyline
    - new rocket members
    and theres more!

Back