• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Religion's Role in the 21st Century

Where do you see Organized Religion in 20-30 years?

• Total voters

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Why would lack of faith cause "everything to go wrong"?

He's pointing out the correlation between the decreasing importance of religion and the state of the world. Considering the direction we're moving and the way life tends to work, I sort of doubt we'll be able to prove they aren't connected anytime soon. The only way I see that happening is if religion starts becoming more important again, which I somehow don't see happening, whether I like it or not.

Sadly, I have nothing else worth bothering to argue.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

I agree we should be united despite our beliefs, but as long as we have our own belief systems, we can't be truly united. Our assorted religious beliefs play on division too heavily.
    But this is due to religious leaders, actually Christianity kind of implies to treat others like you want to be treated this includes other religions as well...it's the leaders, they have to go...I hope this is the last pope...like they said he will be despite the fact that I myself am Roman Catholic...I don't think I need a pope...

Years
    But this is due to religious leaders, actually Christianity kind of implies to treat others like you want to be treated this includes other religions as well...it's the leaders, they have to go...I hope this is the last pope...like they said he will be despite the fact that I myself am Roman Catholic...I don't think I need a pope...

But then Religeon would have to change. It would need a new influz of young leadership, and those youngins' views would not be those of their predecessors'. Not that I'm complaining, young blood is what the Church needs.

thorn96

Fool! I am the weasel!
    Years
    Your opinion on religion?

I know I may be treading on dangerous ground here, but I've always found this an interesting subject. What do you people think about religion? Not just one religion in particular, but religion itself, the concept.

I myself am an atheist. I don't really think much of religion, but hey, that's just me.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    I think there are positive things anyone can learn from any religion that could improve their lives, by expanding their scope of how they view the world and people in it.

And that's all I'm going to say on that subject. :P

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I believe that spirituality is an important part of one's being. Since religion and spirituality often (but not necessarily) overlap, it could be useful to study and participate in one, but I'd much rather recommend finding your own path to spiritual enlightenment before finding a religion that fits it. :P

I consider myself a Christian Deist personally. I believe that a creation God exists and that Jesus Christ was his earthly avatar, but he's a lot more passive than the Bible would have you believe.

Years
    I'm not really anything at all I dont think.
    I do not subscribe to following any sort of doctrine but at the same time I have respect for each religion and its teachings as well as tolerance for its people.
    I find religion itself to be quite fascinating. Not any one religion in particular, mostly the concept and the differences and similarities of different religions.
    I do not do university or anything but I do a little bit of self study as far as Theology is concerned.
    I believe knowledge is power, the more you know, the more powerful a person you can become.

Zet

Years
    I don't believe that there is one right religion, but all are equal.

I myself am Catholic, but I don't judge any one differently if they're in a different religion.... except I do have slight disagreements with Scientology, but hey no need for any hate.

Since you had the guts to make this thread I will end my post with a fun fact.

Studies have shown that most atheists know more about religion than people in their own religion.

Years

Studies have shown that most atheists know more about religion than people in their own religion.

This doesnt surprise me at all.
    Atheists in general try way to hard to prove religion to be wrong or ridiculous or whatever it they think it is.
    Its not all that do it, but there is a fair majority that does.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    I find religion itself to be quite fascinating. Not any one religion in particular, mostly the concept and the differences and similarities of different religions.

Personally I think the differences stem from the fact that each prophet (Or whatever the word is in each religion) came from different areas with different cultures, and even though they preached the same basic message about peace and coming to an understanding, it developed differently because of the differences in culture and the environment it originated in.

Years
    I believe the word for that is "agnostic".
    Yes, but it's possible to be agnostic and still be interested in theism. I'm agnostic but I don't concern myself with religion.

Just to quote Wikipedia, you can have absolute (hard) agnostics who believe it's impossible to find out whether gods exist or not, empirical (soft) agnostics who believe we currently cannot possibly know whether there are gods or not right now but the answer may become clear in the future. I'm what you'd call an apathetic agnostic, or in other words I don't think it matters whether gods exist or not.

In other words, what you said is right, I am agnostic, but I wrote a few sentences as opposed to saying "I'm agnostic" to distinguish myself from other forms of agnosticism, not because I wasn't aware of the term.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
    I feel people can believe whatever they want, as long as they're happy and it doesn't affect me.

Myself I know too much physics and biology to be spiritual, really, plus I know religion can do many bad things.
    But if it's something someone believes in, that makes them happy, then I'm glad they've found something like that.

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
    Years
    I am a Catholic and believe in the church's teachings. I don't believe that there are Atheists in the world, but that's just what I believe. I've explored other religions and found Judaism extremely interesting. And most of the "Atheists" I see are around the ages of 13-17 that just have problems in life or have suffered a loss in their life and blamed it on God because they didn't want to admit that the loss was at the hands of someone else. Not saying that that's specifically someone on here, but that's the majority of the ones I've seen. I've studied religion almost all of my life and I find it interesting to know that there is life after death and we're not alone. I find it fascinating that there can be people around the world that have made the world a much better place by just doing things that we can do ourselves. (saints)

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
    Actually, I'm an atheist and my life has been going pretty fine.

It's mainly because I've had a pretty scientific youth, with parents, teachers, books and such. Nothing really around me has even hinted that we would have one or several gods. I simply haven't needed any religion. That's what I get for living in the world's most atheistic country, I guess :P

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I know I may be treading on dangerous ground here, but I've always found this an interesting subject. What do you people think about religion? Not just one religion in particular, but religion itself, the concept.

I myself am an atheist. I don't really think much of religion, but hey, that's just me.
    I merged your thread with an already pre-existing discussion of religion. You can discuss what one may think about religion here as well as the topics pointed out in the first post.

As for myself, I do have faith and belief in religion. However, this doesn't mean I shut myself out from all other possibilities in the world. As well as what one may decide in life. I believe we all have the opportunity to make our own decisions based on what we believe; be it based upon religion or own personal thoughts.

I would probably go more in-depth with this, but as far as religion today goes, that's where I stand on the matter.

KanadeTenshi

Banned
    Years
    I don't believe that there is one right religion, but all are equal.

I myself am Catholic, but I don't judge any one differently if they're in a different religion.... except I do have slight disagreements with Scientology, but hey no need for any hate.

I just want to comment about that.. I was thinking, maybe atheists are the group that asks questions and not eat (for the most part) whatever their parents feed them?

I myself am an atheist, and I don't care if god exists or not.

Years

I just want to comment about that.. I was thinking, maybe atheists are the group that asks questions and not eat (for the most part) whatever their parents feed them?

I myself am an atheist, and I don't care if god exists or not.

I agree with that. I think they found their own beliefs/Or lack therof, Because most of the Atheists I know irl have very religious parents, surprisingly.

otakulily

Pokemon is okay, I guess.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    Religion in the future
    I'm sorry to say this, but religion is obsolete. I use the same analogy every time. It's no different from mythology. It's a belief system with utterly backing. The Greeks, Egyptians, Norse, Chinese, etc. all created their own "proto-religion" system in attempts to explain all the happenings of the world. Why then, did we dismiss them? Obviously, there are few people today who believe mythology to be true. It simply died out. Mythology was just too far-fetched. Mythology is treated much like fantasy. We read it and we think the stories are silly or completely fictional, and once new fancy religions such as the monotheistic religions moved in, mythology was abandoned. Inevitably, the same will happen to all religions. Religion and mythology are the same thing. They are both based on absolutely no concrete evidence, they were founded to explain things that were otherwise unexplainable, and both will eventually be dismissed as fiction.

Role In everyday modern Life
    You're kidding, right? It's fairly obvious that the role of religion has dwindled to near nothingness. I wouldn't say that an outstanding majority of people are atheists, but in this day and age, how many Christians actually attend church regularly or read more than two pages of the Bible? I hate people like this. You can't just claim to be part of a certain religion. You have to actually believe in it.

Anyway, what I think is that religion serves two main purposes. The first, as stated above, is to explain the unexplainable. Secondly, religion is a preliminary system of laws, of sorts. Actually, it's more like a code of ethics. It sets a standard as to what is morally right or wrong. Thus, it makes perfect sense that, at the time when religion was still young, the church was held in the same hand as the government. It served it's purpose when people believed in it. When God told you that it's wrong to kill, you didn't kill. In modern terms, you can just as well describe this as propaganda. No, I'm not saying that it's okay to murder your annoying neighbor, but religion is a highly inefficient system for keeping people "under control" as not everyone follows the same religion (or rather, not forced to follow the same religion), therefore, not everyone will have the same ethical values. What use, then, do we have for modern religion? I don't disagree with the idea that religion makes someone a better person. I have nothing against people who believe in religion. But it's too difficult to force everyone to act to a certain degree of morality. Using religion to keep people in check is the lazy man's way. If you tell a kid that he'll get a lump of coal from Santa Claus if he does something bad, he'll believe you. Religion is no different in that regard.

Back