• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Displaying a level above a trainer

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 10, 2019
I had the idea of displaying a level above a trainer and have it follow them even if they randomly move around. It seemed simple enough when I first thought of it:

1. Create a small picture for the level
2. Set two variables to the trainer's x and y positions
3. Show the picture, using the two variables as x and y coordinates
4. Create a parallel process that constantly moves the picture according to the changing value of the two variables

But I can't even get the picture to appear where I want it to, let alone have it follow a character. I have tried setting the variables to both the trainer's "map x/y" and "screen x/y" values, but the picture always appears somewhere next to the trainer and it seems to move with the player.

I just can't wrap my head around how exactly RMXP handles showing and moving pictures. Is there any way to do what I'm trying to do? Could it be done with a script if not with regular events?

Edit:

I actually just figured out how to do part of what I was trying to do:

Spoiler:

The "Move Picture" command isn't actually needed. This is all it takes for the picture to move with the event.

Now I only have to figure out two more things (as seen in the following screenshots):

1. Why is the picture (I'm using the "ballnormal" picture that comes with Essentials for testing) not directly above the event, even though I'm using the event's screen coordinates?

2. Why does the picture disappear if the player moves too far away, even though the event itself is still visible?

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Back