• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Distanced Hurricane

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years
    Cont
    ---------------------------

Like her sister and Mudkip, Sally naps peacefully as Brendan considers Max's story.

"I really see little problem with the situation." Lien states. "She's still in her insecure stages; she'll come around when she's ready. Or perhaps," she reconsiders. "I'm being a bit biased out of my own reservations…"

Lien's expression darkens as she strokes the sweatdropping Wurmple. Muttering something about consideration and feeling nice to be noticed even if it's a simple hello.

"Lien aside, Brendan…" Max sighs, completely ignoring what he doesn't (want to) understand. "Everything seems to come back to that girl. She's really starting to be a bother. And even if Lien can be a flake she's got a point! Let's just ignore her back. Laurel's gonna be snippy about it, but whatever!"

"Hah, an old-fashioned small-town shun, I always wanted to get in on one of those…" Brendan smiles weakly before falling downcast. "Well, it's more like I couldn't get into them. I've already been dodging her a lot lately and I feel pretty rotten for it. But I… Really don't think I can deal with someone like her anymore…"

"…Well, I guess that IS pretty harsh since you're the type who lets girls walk all over you and all." Max reconsiders. Not giving it any more thought, the boy shrugs. "Today was such a waste. Guess I'll hit the trainer battle simulator at the arcade to make it all feel a little worthwhile…"

Before he can begin his goodbyes and catch a high score, Max focuses on gripping the cell phone Lien tosses his way.

"Master Maxwell, please live up to your duties as a man and let Lady Windsprite in on the situation. You were the one who asked to borrow Wurmple to keep a silk trace on the girls if you've forgotten." she reminds in a sing-song voice.

Max frowns, but satisfies Lien as he gets to it while walking off.

"You really shouldn't worry them, nothing good ever comes from hiding your heart." Lien voices softly.

"…They shouldn't be. I have a lot to think about but as long as I'm not taking it out on anyone, I'm not paying them any mind." Brendan replies.

"That's a mature but immature way of looking at things." Lien says to his surprise. As she has the higher ground, Lien decides to further surprise her younger friend by handing him a CD she pulls from her apron pocket. "Sorry for not handing it back sooner but I really got into it." She chuckles sheepishly before pulling out a CD written in Johto characters. "See, I don't pirate all my favorite music! The songs are in Johto tongue, but rock is rock right?"

Brendan blinks twice, but catches himself fast enough to happily accept Lien's item loan.

As much as Lien wants to tell the boy about the band, Max's call has her rushing off instead. She does however; stop short in her run to turn back to Brendan reassuringly.

"Maybe listening might change you a bit…" Lien smiles before running off to catch up to her young master.

This leaves a calmer Brendan to shortly realize that despite their time together; he doesn't know that odd girl's name… He's heard it once or twice before…

"Brendan…" Sally mutters half-asleep. "About beating up Big Girl, I lied. What I really want is for you to make her my big sister!"

-------------------------------------------------------
    (A bit later: LittleRoot)

With the day's main event becoming nothing more than lost time, Brendan and his sisters' return home. Suzie is fairly easy to please, just give her a piggyback along the way and she'll pretty much be under control. Mudkip on the other hand simply has no interest in walking. So, to not be near "Brendan the idiot", the mud fish hitches a ride on Sally's head.

Though she isn't into the baby treatment, Sally gives her brother the privilege of holding her hand. But even if he has innate luck going for him, that still doesn't protect him from her wrath.

"Why?! Stupid Brendan, why can't you make her my sister? Give me three good reasons why you can't!" Sally argues for the fifteenth time.

"Well, one: she already has a family, two: I'm underage and three: It's not going to happen, ever!" Brendan counters for the fifteenth time.

Sally and Mudkip give Brendan dirty looks. Before the child can gives her "I'm gonna run away and join the circus argument", it is Suzie who stops the conflict.

"How pretty, purple…" she notes groggily.

Looks of determination and curiosity were on Mudkip and Sally's faces as they too notice the Hiromi family household.

"Then I'll just ask Sis myself!" Sally claims as she begins her harsh (if not meaningless) struggle of dragging her brother towards the home.

"H-hey! If you know all this then why are you bothering?" Brendan questions.

Sally stops struggling to reply: "Do you really have to ask?" When Brendan justifies his position he receives death glares from both the girl and the mud fish…

"STUPID!!" is one of the less colorful words Sally yells at the top of her lungs. Her actions startle the many puffy-tailed stray zigzag Pokemon, better classified as Zigzagoon, from their happy positions and back to various hiding spots within the Hiromi yard.

One of the smaller Zigzagoon got so startled that it, out of confusion, briefly plays dead before wildly surprising its foes by taking it upon itself to climb towards an open window in the upper levels of the home.

That'll show 'em…

Little do they know that it climbs up to this place a lot, it has a friend that can't leave it after all, the least it can do is pop in every so often to play. And sometimes, the woman that's currently out like a log brings snacks… Like that plate of crackers over there… Score!!

The only thing stopping the tiniest of tiny raccoon Pokemon from rewarding itself with a nice victory meal is the sudden roar of millions of humans. It stops spazzing out and notices the noise is just from those illuminating boxes humans enjoy so much; something in it about two half dressed human men pounding the crap out of each other… Doesn't look very real…

Its playmate Torchic seems really into it though…

The Zigzagoon then remembers that her human (not the snack giving woman right there, a smaller one it hasn't met) tends put that thing on to keep Torchic busy. She's no fun to play with until those silly programs end… Oh well, onto those snack, Torchic won't mind if it helps itself to a few crackers…

Sableye doesn't either, but that doesn't stop the darkness Pokemon from crawling out from under May's bed to give another new face a warm "hello". Zigzagoon's cries of horror gain Torchic's attention, or is it the toppling her over and cower from behind thing…

None of that matters to the chick Pokemon who simply chirps uneasily at her new-to-her-and-May-but-has-been-here-longer housemate.

"Hm~m? The little one has a friend over even when I'm sleeping? How naughty." Mrs. Hiromi jokes groggily. "Sabbie-hun, did you have a nice nap as well?"

Though not making any gestures, a few red X-shaped veins appear on Sableye's fully solid body. Mrs. Hiromi is oblivious to her partner's feelings and smiles brightly. Sally's raging storm of words however…

"Oh my, that's…quite a mouth for someone so small. And you're talking like that to your senior no less? Shall I wash your mouth out with soap?" Mrs. Hiromi greets. "It's good to see you again, my May's tutor."

He feels tense, but determination from afar is far from Brendan's atmosphere. Mudkip on the other hand…

"Ah! Sis' current family. Hey, can we adopt Sis for ourselves?" Sally asks directly.

"No way." Mrs. Hiromi answers just as directly. "But how you like to be adopted by me instead? I'm pretty sure I have more ground than you in the legal department anyway." She offers after seeing Sally's disappointment.

Brendan watches Sally in as exasperation when she actually considers the offer. He won't admit it, but his sister being herself helps put him at ease. And not a moment too soon, Suzie gripping onto him tightly while sniffling into his back is only a sign of an imminent breakdown.

"No, you can't! Sally isn't yours! Sally won't leave us, she loves us more!!" Suzie yells, surprising both her siblings.

Oblivious to the family drama, Mrs. Hiromi only blinks at the realization of there being two Sallys…

------------------------------------------------------------
    (A bit later)

"Ahaha, they're twins you say? I feel utterly embarrassed now!" Mrs. Hiromi laughs sheepishly.

Though everyone is feeling pretty is lighthearted, Sally takes it upon herself to step behind Suzie and push her forward.

"See, we're different. This is Suzie, she's a little taller 'cuz she's older." Sally explains.

"N-not by much!" Suzie gasps before hiding her embarrassment. "I don't feel like the older one…"

"Does it matter? You're BOTH adorable!" Mrs. Hiromi gushes. The woman bends down to better examine them. "You're cute, very cute! And you know what they say about cute girls when they get older?"

It's undetermined if either twin knows where the woman is getting at, but both blush all the same.

Chance! With the woman focusing on the girls, Mudkip launches his infiltration--only to be recalled back to his Poke Ball by an expressionless Brendan. The mud fish struggles within its prison but the boy seems to have a better grip today.

"My, you seem to have better aim today." Mrs. Hiromi notes. "But thank you for that, I don't think I'd be as willing to clean up a mess like that again."

The fact she chooses to smile at him only makes Brendan feel worse.

"Hey I'm kidding, I'm not mad about that at all, seriously." The woman reassures when Brendan attempts an apology. "But as a mother, I'm not the most pleased about how you're picking on my May." She voices to his surprise. "I know you're a busy tutor but she's really down in the dumps lately and a little push from someone she trusts never hurts…" she huffs giving Brendan some relief before she voices: "Also, you're staring too much. It's really weird…"

Brendan blinks blankly at this before the realization of what the woman has on again grabs his attention.

Mrs. Hiromi sweatdrops at this. "Riiight… Almost forgot you're into to these kinda things…" she states as she watches the boy peculiarly. "But you're obsession for these restricting things really are unhealthy. I feel like you're trying to see right through me!"

Brendan ignores the woman's remark and his sisters disapproving looks to continue studying every aspect of the outfit. It really is appealing, that's why the boy mumbles: "It's absolutely beautiful, calling anything so well crafted restricting is just so…narrow-minded. They should be hung for it…" loud enough for Mrs. Hiromi to give him a piercing glare only obtainable through her medium-mode.

'For some reason I think I saw my life flash before my eyes…' Brendan mentally shudders after an unsettling feeling that warns him to shut-up and turn away.

"Umm May's tutor… Where are you looking at? I made this myself so they aren't THAT restricting." Mrs. Hiromi invites. She quickly gives him a cheerful smile when he hesitantly turns her way. "Actually, I made these things to show-off to May why they're so ridiculous looking. She shares your weird tastes though…"

"…That doesn't really-"

"Wha~! Did you really make that all by yourself?" Sally intercepts.

"Mm. It took a long time for me to make with the limited amount of supplies I had on me. I think May took my disappearance to make them and some snacks the wrong way though…" Mrs. Hiromi responds before brightening at the realization that her daughter's worrying points are also her cute points.

"Brendan--" Suzie begins before gathering the courage to gesture at her dress. "Brendan likes to make to clothes too! He made me this."

"H-hey Suzie that's too much!" Brendan snaps.

Sally nods. "Yup, It took him a really long time, but Brendan made me this shirt before making Suzie's dress. And you see that thing on his head and those silly pants? He made those too."

"Y-you too?! Si-Silly!?"

"When we rip our clothes or dollies we like to ask him more than Mommy!" Suzie giggles.

"Sh-she's joking, seriously!"

"Yeah, she makes it worse." Sally chuckles. "But it takes him forever to make his stuff. So he has ways to go until he's at your level, right?"

"Now that's just baseless! You both know getting strong silk takes a Wurmples touch and Laurel's can only make those so fast… Half-decent sewing materials aren't easy to come by around these parts either…" Brendan argues before realizing what he says.

As Brendan places his hands over his mouth Suzie and Sally share a fit of giggles. Can today get any "better", he wonders before Mrs. Hiromi softly grasps his hands and pulls them away from their current location.

Brendan watches the woman silently as she curiously inspects his hands. She has a very delicate feel, he notes. In fact being so close to woman is…

"You're quite a delicate person, aren't you?" Mrs. Hiromi comments warmly. "Perhaps too much for this kind of world. See, you're soft hands don't like it when you tense yourself up like that."

"I-I don't know about that b-but…"

"Brendan's blushing!" Suzie giggles. "He's turning as red as a tomato!" Sally laughs.

Brendan watches the twins in exasperation but snaps back to attention when Mrs. Hiromi addresses him.

"If materials are all you need to make these lovely items then I have more than enough to share." Mrs. Hiromi smiles, pulling the boy's hands closer to her. "But is it possible for you to make something for my May as well? You know, something durable but streamline and frames her countless appeal points enough to make her want to wear it like it was her own skin? I know it's hard, but I'm sure you can capture a few points and be able to frame it from there!"

"…We-well…If I get her measurements and opinions I guess I could-"

"Not guess, MUST! This will be a project to revolutionize the world!" Mrs. Hiromi proclaims with a fire in her eyes.

'Eh… Revolutionize whose world…?' Brendan, Suzie and Sally all wonder at the same time.

"Besides," Mrs. Hiromi continues with a new found vigor. "I'm still interested in negotiating a two-for-one deal with these sweeties you have here."

Though totally from left field, Brendan readies a reply only to stop before even beginning when the strong, yet slender arm of Mrs. Birch wraps around his neck.

"Sorry to disappoint you, but this one along with those two belong to me." Mrs. Birch replies.

"Eh? You guys are Gillian's kids? No wonder why you're all so interesting. Now I feel even more embarrassed." Mrs. Hiromi smiles with a light blush.

"Hey, what's with you? This is the part where the rival is supposed to be on edge as tensions boil." Mrs. Birch sighs. The woman slaps her forehead with her free hand when Mrs. Hiromi chooses to maintain her sunny disposition. "God, you really are something else… Everything has just been turned upside down since you came here; even those bothersome little creatures started moving their territory closer and closer to town. How do I know you aren't some occult chick who's placed everyone under spell, huh?"

Hearing that, Mrs. Hiromi's expression weakens.

"Occult chick, eh? Well that beats the heck out of enchantress… still it's been quite some time since I heard that…It feels cold…" Mrs. Hiromi briefly flashes a cold glance, not caring who catches it before closing her eyes and wriggles about. "That's so mean of you to say Gil! How cruel, that was really uncalled for!"

"QUIT PLAYING AROUND YOU!!" Mrs. Birch shouts before startling her children by coughing violently. She ignores their concern and continues with Mrs. Hiromi. "Instead of trying to looking worried for me why not throw your weight around instead? I didn't walk all this way to be chummy with you."

Mrs. Hiromi blinks blankly at the comment until paling at the memory of what really has to be done today… Something that only furthers Mrs. Birch's frustration.

"Ii-it's not that I forgot about today Gil, I've…just got a lot on my mind…I never had any intention on backing out." Mrs. Hiromi reasons sheepishly. "I'm pretty sure you must want me to change out of this ridiculous looking outfit first so please--"

"Yes, I will enter, thank you." Mrs. Birch replies when walking past Mrs. Hiromi and into the Hiromi household. "Hn? The outfit? I didn't notice it. I think it suits you though. Very weird." She adds for reasons of her own.

"That's so cruel Gil! It's not like I dress like this on purpose, geez!" Mrs. Hiromi whines. Though initially going to follow and complain more to the older woman, she turns to the trio. "Well, if you like, you're all more than welcome to come in. Just no more comments about this restricting thing. And no stares okay?"

Suzie and Sally happily accept the woman's offer while Brendan declines. Feeling it be best to make sure that he and Mudkip stay as far away from that house as possible (and because he wants to listen to Lien's CD immediately), going home is the best option.

Normally, Mrs. Hiromi would try to convince the leaving party to stay for while but this time she understands where the boy is coming from. This why the woman asks for his patience as she hurries inside to retrieve Torchic who routinely remains upstairs, leaving her Zigzagoon playmate with the amusing (but not to the Zigzagoon) Sabbie the Sableye.

Only Mudkip, who successfully escapes his spherical prison, shows elation at Torchic's appearance.

"My, my so you're the reason what this little guy practically ravaged my living room. How cute!" Mrs. Hiromi teases Torchic before handing her to the hesitant Brendan. "I want you to have her…But just for this afternoon! Go to that planetarium and have fun. It'll be good for all of you."

Brendan is taken aback by the request, but nevertheless the woman's brazen actions help him over come hesitation and give a sad smile.

"…That sounds nice but…It can't be helped, Torchic is…"

"Sick of being cooped up in the house all day! She should stretch her legs; she's a child after all. A Pokemon! I love my daughter but that doesn't mean I'll agree with all her methods to life."

"W-well, that must be hard but," Brendan uneasily shifts his eyes away from the woman. "This is something between you and you're daughter. I'd rather not get caught in the middle, sorry."

Unable to take anymore of this kid's…bull, Mudkip races past Mrs. Hiromi only to gain the momentum it needs to race back and surprise her, Torchic and the Birch females by successfully colliding into Brendan's stomach at such a force it's enough to knock the wind out of him and send him sliding back.

Mudkip feels a twinge of guilt at just how far back the boy tumbles but enough! That's why the mud fish marches over and chews his partner out the only way he can.

"Ngh! Wh-what the hell is your problem…?" is all the mud fish gets when the boy eventually sits up to hold his stomach and cringe more. Mudkip actually wants to hit him again, harder this time too, but instead continues to scold.

It isn't until Torchic, guilty for the situation, wriggles free from Mrs. Hiromi's grip to playfully tug Mudkip's fin-like tail is when the bold mud fish cools down. With that done, the chick Pokemon of peace quickly races behind Brendan and gives him a friendly nudge.

His stomach still hurts but it really does feel nice to have Torchic lighten the mood like old times…

"No, this isn't your fault, Mudkip and I just have a lot of partnership issues we need to work out." Brendan replies calmly when Mrs. Hiromi checks if he's alright. "I'm okay, these sort of things are common experiences for trainers. I'm not that weak, so don't worry Suzie, Sally, Mom…" he assures his family.

While the twins show their respective concern, Mrs. Birch mutters something bitterly about being last.

"Well, I guess I can understand your feelings but… I really don't want any kind of confrontation with your daughter over it. I'm not really good that kind of stuff." Brendan admits. "More like, I'm pretty useless in stuff like that…"

"Hmm… May is pretty territorial when it comes to things she's fond of…" Mrs. Hiromi agrees before throwing all concern to wind with a smile. "But if that's the case, then she'll just have to join you when she gets back. The real question is: Are you going to keep hesitating or will you finalize that shaky link you created on your own."

When Brendan tries to contemplate those words he winces from more stomach pains. Mrs. Hiromi offers him a hand at this point. "Look, all I'm saying is that you kids put way too much on your shoulders these days. I mean, it's not like your decision will affect millions." She sighs. "Just live your life and enjoy your youth. Make as many friends as you can and live everyday riding the storm that links all. I want this for May as much as I want it for anyone she considers a close friend." Mrs. Hiromi gives Brendan a sincere smile. "So, can we share the same cause, just this once?"

Walking directly into danger, rushing in head on… That's the kind of life I wanted to avoid the most. Even if I'm a trainer, someone like me won't benefit from that kind of action. I've plotted out my movements pretty carefully and even if I get a few problems the results are still pretty good.

But, it really does feel unsatisfying. Is this really okay? At some points, I thought she hated me but…She doesn't even know me like Laurel and the others that pretty presumptuous-- Grr… I know this but…!

Still hesitant, still second-guessing, yet in the end, Brendan rejects the hand reaching out to him replying: "It's okay…I can…stand on my own…" while struggling to pick himself up. Earning him the grin and smiles of his mother and sisters.

It takes him some time, but eventually the white-haired boy stands and, after some more cringing, eventually turns to the direction of the main gate asking Torchic and Mudkip to accompany him to the planetarium. Torchic hesitates and turns to Mrs. Hiromi who playfully gives her a shooing gesture.

May is going to join them later anyway so this will be okay right? Torchic figures as she hurries after Brendan. Whereas Mudkip hesitates briefly before remembering his partner is the type to never let things get to him even when he should and tags along with a bit of relief.

Mrs. Hiromi watches the trio walk off until no longer in sight and gives a content sigh. She turns to Mrs. Birch quizzically when the woman claps mockingly.

"Bravo, good show, but you laid it on a bit too thick. You all but seduced him and that idiot son of mine still put on the act for a nice set curves. He's at that age after all…" Mrs. Birch scoffs, ignoring Sally's questions about what seduce means.

"Ah? But I only kept going because I thought Gil was okay with this too." Mrs. Hiromi pouts.

"I wanted to see what kind of decision he makes as man. I'm not interested in all the sub-drama that followed."

"You make me sound as if I'm some kind temptress."

"I won't give you that kind of credit. You're just an oddly dressed brat that has ways to go as a semi-decent parent."

Mrs. Hiromi considers this before giving a dot-eyed expression. "Does that make you my big sis?"

"ABSOLUTELY NO--" Mrs. Birch coughs blood before she could finish.

As Suzie and Sally are too small to catch their mother the moment she falls into a daze, they count their luck that Mrs. Hiromi covers that. And at lightening speed, one might add.

"There, there it's going to be alright. Your ultra sexy little sister will relive your soul's woes and lift it anew." Mrs. Hiromi chuckles.

"…Rubbish! I grew up a spoiled only child; don't distort my view of the world."

"Oh, in that case," Mrs. Hiromi grins. "Consider me an autumn loving enchantress who wishes to atone for her sins through her lovely child of wind." The woman closes her eyes for a more genuine smile. "But I'll do my part as well!"

As much as Mrs. Birch wants a say, she finds herself silent instead. Hah… she must really be out of it, she figures.

----------------------------------------------------------
    (A bit later: Petalburg Planetarium)

The powerful cry of a mighty Pokemon echoes within stars and space-themed setting of Petalburg Planetarium's newest exhibit making the crowd outside the viewing glass go wild with anticipation.

Brendan has no interest in any of that. Atop the peak of the planetarium, Stargazers Corner, Brendan watches Petalburg City in deep thought. He can't stop thinking about Mrs. Hiromi's outfit, it really suits her! And something like that is restricting? A strong blush overtakes Brendan when envisioning Mrs. Hiromi wearing the outfit while standing within an elegant breeze. His face reddens when imagining how Lien would appear with it, getting redder as the young woman adjusts it to her settings.

But snaps back to reality falling backwards when thinking of May.

Wincing a bit from his earlier punishment, Brendan hastily sits up when Torchic and Mudkip stand over him quizzically.

I-I'm too tense! I need to calm down! It's not like my chances of getting through this alive is that low! I was the one avoiding her after all! That's right; I can't really keep up with this even if I wanted to… Especially when she…

Brendan sits quietly until rubbing his chin in deep thought.

…Something streamline, huh? Lien can look good in anything but I can't say the same about that girl. I…never really bothered looking at her like that so her standout points are…It feels a bit tricky when it comes to her.

Though initially aiming for a pad and pen, Brendan pulls out the CD Lien loans him from his top right pocket instead and heaves a heavy sigh.

"What I really wanted to do was listen to Lien's CD and try to think things through a bit…" sighing once more, Brendan turns to the chick and mud fish Pokemon with a small smile. "Well, at least you guys are happy, right? I'll work things out so you two can play together everyday."

Torchic chirps gratefully, Mudkip looks away.

"Well, it can't be helped… that guy was a lost cause from the get go…" Brendan sighs.

The sudden roar of a thunderous alarm slashes through the current atmosphere.

"Attention people of Petalburg City: We will now be holding our "Trainers Aptitude" event." A generic female voice announces on a loud speaker. "We will be releasing plenty of nocturne dance exhibit Zubats for trainers unable to attend today's event within our facilities to get a chance in the fun by catching these illustrious Pokemon and learning a bit about our universe as they do-"

"Wh-what?! C-can they even do something like that?" Brendan questions. "Petalburg is full of civilians and most of the trainers around here are just starting out! Tch! Wh-what the hell they are they thinking?"

"We would like to thank the cooperation from the Petalburg Gym and our local law enforcement for this miraculous event." The voice on the intercom continues. "To all civilians: Please find shelter immediately and have faith in our cities talented trainers. I repeat: All citizens do not engage any wild planetarium Pokemon. They are untrained and considered dangerous in hands of the unskilled. Please leave them to local trainers." The voice warns. "All those currently involved in our "Duel with the Pokemon from Space" event or are visiting our other exhibits please disregard this message, thank you."

"…Even if the Petalburg Gym Leader okayed this, this is just so… completely irresponsible! Did they even try thinking about the cons of all this? And they're so quick to disregard all businesses but their own, how typical…" Brendan growls.

With the sounds of another alarm, the Zubats are out and run amok through town. This annoys Brendan but he turns to the chick and mud fish Pokemon with a sigh.

"We'll just wait up here until everything blows over." He says. When Torchic chirps uneasily Brendan pats her head. "That girl has Pokemon envy but I doubt she'll do anything with Zubats running around." He assures. "Besides, Mudkip's gotten pretty strong compared to when Treeko was with us so don't worry about a thing."

Torchic still has doubts but chirps happily all the same.

About to take Brendan's advice and play a bit more, the chick Pokemon along with Brendan and Mudkip are taken aback by the sudden tremor and the loud sirens that follow.

"A-Attention people of Petalburg City: An error has occurred within our release process that encourages novice trainers to take shelter immediately." The generic female voice broadcasts with a tone discomfort. "I repeat: All novice trainers are to stand down and join civilians for cover. DO NOT engage the wild Pokemon! Will all staffed and volunteer tamers please assemble in the conference room immediately! Thank you."

"Something went wrong? Came sooner than I thought." Brendan shrugs. "In any case…Hmm… Looks like we're really stuck up here…" he sighs.

Brendan attempts to pet a shuddering Torchic only to bite back a curse when heavier rumbling overtakes the area followed by more sirens.

"Attention! This is not a drill: Will all those in mesosphere, thermosphere and exosphere pavilion levels please exit calmly and seek safer ground. I repeat: All those within the mesosphere, thermosphere and exosphere pavilions please descend in an orderly fashion, do not, I repeat, DO NOT engage any Pokemon encountered under any circumstance!" The voice warns. Brendan pales at this. "All those in the lower levels please remain calm, our staff are trained individuals, please take their advice and calmly follow emergency procedures. We are now taking emergency lockdown methods. W-we apologize for any and all inconveniences caused."

"…Th-They're kidding! They screw up and we have to compensate for it? D-damn it, now what…?" Brendan growls. "Exiting sounds pretty messy at this point and I might not be able to watch Torchic amongst all the craziness. The situation sounds pretty bad but my chances might be better here…" Struggling to find the answer, Brendan bites back a curse. "Wh-what should I do… Argh! Need to think fast…!"

Brendan stops mentally pummeling himself when hearing Torchic's shaky chirps. When facing the chick Pokemon he notices her shudders intensify. Even Mudkip acts strangely when giving an intense face. Not at him but…

Mudkip can easily understand if Torchic is feeling this too… His skin is crawling. Something down there… it's not normal…but its scary strong…

As much as Brendan wants to question the two, he instead struggles to keep his balance after a very powerful tremor that leads to the ground having a hole blown through it by an explosion of sparkling light.

With that dying down, many Zubat fly out frantically from their planetarium prison and scatter about. Brendan is quick to grab and shield Torchic from the tiny bat Pokemon while Mudkip growls and threatens the intruders.

Save for the occasional, if not, unintentional wing slap, Brendan's party is unhurt. That is, until one last Zubat frantically races out of the hole only to be swallowed whole by a vicious looking black snake Pokemon with sharp red fangs that jumps out after it.

A sudden danger appears! Indecisiveness got him this far, what will Brendan do now?!

End Chapter 7

------------------------------------------------------
    (Notes)

1. This goes without saying but the flashback scene starts in Max's POV but continues just to show you guys the rest of the situation. I later added Sally's take on the situation for a feeling of balance for the next scene.

2. I've always been fond of the Pokemon Pikachu series manga when it came to the depictions of the Pokemon world. Especially it's implementing of TMs and the Pokemon Center. As much as like Nurse Joy, I liked the Pikachu manga showing a large staff of drool worthy nurses tending to the many number of trainers who visit them. I prefer to set the Hurricane universe similar to that. The Nurse Joys do exist but they're sorta like head nurses: far too busy running the more serious recoveries/managing staff (depends on the location of the center) and the like to be waiting for a trainer's approach like they do in the games and anime. (Assuming those pink-haired nurse sprites ARE Joys)

I do remember Nurse Joy appearing in one chapter of that same manga but I never picked that issue up. Heard her role was no different from her anime counterparts I hear. Something of a cameo.

04/15/08 Update: Well, like I assumed not much work was really needed for Chapter 5-Present. Good thing too, I don't think I would've been pleased if Chapter 6 required structural changes… Though this doesn't really apply to this site as I never posted this chapter yet period.

With Hurricane V2 update now complete. All that needs to be done is to wrap up the first arc. Chapter 8a and b will do that.

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years
    Upon the sound of the alarm, the Petalburg Planetarium's Trainers Aptitude Event begins!

A seemingly countless number of Zubats are now free from their confines to run amok throughout the now empty streets of Petalburg City leaving only the bravest of brave trainers to strut their stuff.

However, from the planetarium rooftop Brendan watches with disapproval.

"We'll just wait up here until everything blows over." He sighs to Torchic and Mudkip. When Torchic chirps uneasily Brendan pats her head. "That girl has Pokemon envy but I doubt she'll do anything with Zubats running around." He assures. "Besides, Mudkip's gotten pretty strong compared to when Treeko was with us so don't worry about a thing."

Torchic still has doubts but chirps happily all the same.

About to take Brendan's advice and play a bit more, the chick Pokemon along with her friends are taken aback by the sudden tremor and the loud sirens that follow.

"A-Attention people of Petalburg City: An error has occurred within our release process that encourages novice trainers to take shelter immediately." The generic female voice broadcasts with a tone discomfort. "I repeat: All novice trainers are to stand down and join civilians for cover. DO NOT engage wild Pokemon! Will all staffed and volunteer tamers please assemble in the conference room immediately! Thank you."

"Something went wrong? Came sooner than I thought." Brendan shrugs. "In any case…Hmm… Looks like we're really stuck up here…" he sighs.

Brendan attempts to pet a shuddering Torchic only to bite back a curse when heavier rumbling overtakes the area followed by more sirens.

"Attention! This is not a drill: Will all those in mesosphere, thermosphere and exosphere pavilion levels please exit calmly and seek safer ground. I repeat: All those within the mesosphere, thermosphere and exosphere pavilions please descend in an orderly fashion, do not, I repeat, DO NOT engage any Pokemon encountered under any circumstance!" the voice warns. Brendan pales at this. "All those in the lower levels please remain calm, our staff our trained individuals, please take their advice and calmly follow emergency procedures. We are now taking emergency lockdown procedures. W-we apologize for any and all inconveniences caused."

"…Th-They're kidding! They screw up and we have to compensate for it? D-damn it, now what…?" Brendan growls. "Exiting sounds pretty messy at this point and I might not be able to watch Torchic amongst all the craziness. The situation sounds pretty bad but my chances might be better here…" Struggling to find the answer, Brendan bites back a curse. "Wh-what should I do… Argh! Need to think fast…!"

Brendan stops mentally pummeling himself when hearing Torchic's shaky chirps. When facing the chick Pokemon he notices her shudders intensify. Even Mudkip acts strangely when giving an intense face. Not at him but…

Mudkip can easily understand if Torchic is feeling this too… His skin is crawling. Something down there… it's not normal…but its scary strong…

As much as Brendan wants to question the two he instead struggles to keep his balance after a very powerful tremor that leads to the ground having a hole blown through it by an explosion of sparkling light.

With that dying down, many Zubat fly out frantically from their planetarium prison and scatter about. Brendan is quick to grab and shield Torchic from the tiny bat Pokemon while Mudkip growls and threatens the intruders.

Save for the occasional, if not accidental wing slap, Brendan's party is unhurt. That is, until one last Zubat frantically races out of the hole only to be swallowed whole by a vicious looking black snake Pokemon with sharp red fangs that jumps out after it.

As much as Brendan wants to know what this creature has to do with space, the knowing danger the fang snake Pokemon Seviper brings when looming over his party with a hungry expression nulls any questions of the inquisitive.

Cornered! The time strikes to fight or flight! Brendan's decision is…

Be it the situation before them or uneasiness from earlier, Torchic's shuddering continues while Mudkip glares down this newest intruder with utmost impatience. Brendan however, draws a blank… Sure, his protective hold around Torchic unconsciously tightens due to the situation and his sights lock onto the fang snake just as intensely as his mud fish partner, but "combat ready" isn't what runs through boy's mind when he's finally able to catch himself.

"For an exhibit Pokemon, you're pretty unkempt."

Far from a battle cry, but Mudkip can't stand the Seviper's face anymore and springs at it the moment Brendan utters those lines. Seviper has little interest in toying with its meal but finds quick enjoyment in swaying the half of its body visible out of harms reach leaving Mudkip to merely curse his luck when safely landing opposite his friends.

Seviper ignores the two-for-one bargain and gestures towards Mudkip coolly. The impatient little fool is already readying another attack and, while in days in the wild, Seviper would have outclassed the weaker with its own might, something the humans call "strategy" when boasting about how the would fare in combat against it sounds quite delicious…

Yes, meals seem taste better when Seviper inputs a "strategy" to get them and this will be no different: The fool will leap at it and Seviper will gobble it up in one bite! It will use lesser methods for the defenseless.

"What the hell are you doing, Mudkip? Get back!" Brendan orders leaving the mud fish to tighten his expression before skipping back twice.

This annoys Seviper but it is one who uses "strategy". It will beat that human at the game its kind makes and devour all three of them! Just as the chaos around it served as the catalyst to silently slither out of it's the roof (that it spent months slowly breaking away with its tail and various excretions, though this disaster sped things up) of its fake home and up a steel beam to purse its few Zubat treats in the shadows, it will return to lower ground to feast upon its greatest capture of the day…

…It just needs its forked-tongue to briefly taste the air before changing backgrounds and a fool who can only charge forward. It will celebrate its strategy under false stars and then, with a strategy no human can hope to accomplish, will take that down as well.

"…Did it run away? Pretty unlike a wild Seviper." Brendan voices eventually. After watching the hole for a bit longer, the boy heaves an annoyed sigh. "Just great and whose bright idea was it to have a Seviper in a place like this anyway? That guy must still be hanging around the building framework waiting for us to come too close. Well, that's all it can do." Brendan reasons. "If it had anything capable of wiping us out it would've used it already. It's still technically a wild Pokemon after all… The situation is still pretty bad though…"

Brendan grips the still shuddering Torchic as his attention shifts to the door. New options become available to the boy but the possible consequences that can occur force every resolve to crumble.

A bit of time passes but eventually Brendan turns to the far-off Mudkip and says--well what he's going to say has no meaning if Mudkip makes his own decision and jumps in the hole. With his plan now a waste, Brendan curses his partner and with Torchic secure in the hold of his right arm, races to the hole and attempts to recall the bold mud fish into his Poke Ball.

His attempts only leave a strain on his eyes. Despite his lazy stature, Mudkip proves to be quite the nimble creature when driven and proves this as he jumps and slides from steel beam to steel beam along the planetariums battered structure with little concern.

"Mudkip… Tch! So much for waiting it out up here by the soda machines until this all blows over." Brendan mutters.

When trying to get a better look at what lies within the hole Brendan hesitates and finds himself rubbing his eyes.

"Damn, I guess outcomes like these can't be helped when you're with others, huh?" Brendan, still rubbing his strained eyes, questions Torchic when hearing her nervous chirps. "No offense to you, but I think that girl would be crazy enough to jump in after him, I'm not interested in dying young though… That's why-"

In a (to him) rare turn of events, Brendan ignores the process rationalization to the door. As his earlier debate justify, the doors within the stairwell have no security locks and unlike it, the path appears (for now), trouble free. Brendan only hopes it remains this way and with the uneasy Torchic tightly in tow, carefully races down the stairwell after his Pokemon partner.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Gap?" Mrs. Birch questions to Mrs. Hiromi's surprise.

A lovely day of fortune smiles upon the Hiromi household. Not one but three guests welcome the atmosphere with their unusual presence. While guests number one and two: six-year-olds Suzie and Sally comfortably watch TV in another room, guest number three: Mrs. Birch vainly enjoys her stress relief therapy from the hostess Mrs. Hiromi who has a lot on her mind…

"You said gap in some form of Johto speak didn't you?" Mrs. Birch presses. "Is it something I should be concerned of?"

The older woman's straightforwardness makes Mrs. Hiromi blink twice as she struggles and fails at giving a proper answer. Eventually, the fallen marionette messiah gathers her composure and goes back to her original task.

"Hey Gil, would you believe me if I said being in this restricting outfit makes me think of some really silly things." Mrs. Hiromi begins uneasily.

"Do tell."

"W-well… May and I were just being a little silly earlier. Talking about things like dreams and a spirit world that contains all that…" she replies. "Foolish really, but May was really into it so I got pretty involved trading stories myself."

"Hah, are you going to start spouting crap like ghosts walk among us?"

"That'd be an insult to you; of course they do." Mrs. Hiromi answers. "Not just ghosts but many kind of apparitions tend to slip into our realm due to the fragile border separating the living and astra- Err…spirit world. It's quite a cruel joke… but Gil, you're pretty nonchalant about all this-"

"Hmph, we're having a conversation aren't we?" Mrs. Birch scoffs. "Soap Operas are always trying to pull some new gimmick to boost ratings. I remember seeing one with a ghost theme behind it a while back." The woman holds a smug expression as she stretches and says. "It helped pass time until something better came on but it didn't make it past ten episodes."

"That's just the model of today's society so it can't be helped." Mrs. Hiromi grins. "Still, I can't help but envy that kind of thinking… May has it all wrong…As complex and appealing the spirit world is it truly is a barren and ugly realm full of illusions and broken desires. No one should ever be deceived like that…"

"Hm? Goes against your religion?"

"No, I don't worry about things like that. It just troubles me that my precious May can't see the deceit! But, I think I finally figured out all her "world" talk." Mrs. Hiromi continues knowingly. "It never made sense, everything she described stood apart from what we discussed. What my May described sounded far too vivid, far too submerged to be a mere illusion of the astral plane but too shielded to be anything from fractal… I was beating my brains about it but then I finally figured it out…It all adds up really, even if I think of back then…"

Though gossip like this isn't really in her interest, in order to quench her never-ending boredom, Mrs. Birch will even allow topics like this to steal five minutes of her precious time.

And because of this mindset, the woman chooses to give Mrs. Hiromi a two minute extension when she voices: "…My May's inner world must be an amazing place."

------------------------------------------------------
    Chapter 8a: Lost Wings III ~Ruby and Sapphire~
    -------------------------------------------------------

The streets of Petalburg City aren't as lively as they usually are. Due to an event gone wrong the only one's roaming about are those strong enough, those caught in the craziness, stray Pokemon confident enough in their escape tactics and the event Zubats who aren't too happy being around themselves.

Not paying the confusion any mind, a strong wind tears through scene. She got sidetracked, but meeting another set of interesting faces during her Hoenn experience is a welcome one, the old storage case full of handy tools is proof of the oddly lingering link. And with the proper description coming closer in sight, her determination grows as the kinship with the elemental she derives from deepens…

And with this kinship, the air around her twists and curves making her into a visible miniature tornado kicking up and tossing away any loose debris or fragile material around it.

Eventually, that tornado would disperse and reveal the form of girl falling to her knees and gasping for the air she was once submerged in.

"Torchic…I think…I think I found that place…" May exclaims between gasps for air. "Hah… My heart feels like it wants bust but I don't feel bad at all…"

Still gasping for air, the girl weakly faces her destination only a few blocks away.

It's…weird…Being wind. I'm still human aren't I? But everything feels really clear…I wanna say it's weird… but it feels too familiar and…welcome. It makes me happy even when I shouldn't be…

Though she'd kill for more rest, May instead hopes her newfound but familiar kinship will aid her once more and concentrates. Not really the most enjoyable or easiest thing for her, but with all time she spent with her tutor and that crazy angel, calming down isn't so bad.

Besides, this isn't for herself… That's why, with her elemental as guide, she needs to dive into the currents circling around her destination and separate the foreign from the familiar.

After a while, she sees a figure similar to that of a human but cannot confirm anything as that was quickly overlapped by a monstrous figure whose roar flashes blinding rays of light from its entire being. The heavy gust following that distorted image makes the girl stumble over and regret her previous actions.

"I-I felt something monstrous but that IS a monster, nya." She shudders. "Torchic… If you really are in there, I'm gonna spank you good for putting me through this!" May curses as she picks herself up and moves towards her destination.

---------------------------------------------------------
    (Planetarium: Stratosphere Lower Levels)

Mudkip studies his damaged surroundings curiously. That sneak doesn't seem to be around anymore but something still feels…

"Found you…! You little troublemaker." Brendan's voice wheezes from afar.

Mudkip keeps an indifferent expression as his partner takes his time to catch his breath, seeing Torchic alright and coming over to greet him is a plus though. On his end, Brendan continues his gestures while gripping a pocket-sized red device with the words 'CIEL' written on the back.

'Having an ID tracking program integrated into the Pokedex proves to be pretty handy.' Brendan confirms mentally. 'I need to thank the Professor when I see him later… And, I need to thank you too, Ciel…'

"Now that you had your fun… Can we leave now?" Brendan, Feeling a bit better, questions Mudkip who looks away. "I'm not giving you a choice!" the boy snaps as he recalls the mudfish into his Poke Ball.

Even without his glasses, Brendan makes a sure-hit at long range! And… this bothers him…

The boy gives an annoyed look as the mud fish Pokemon remains still and indifferent even when in the spherical container but shrugs it off. The brat will act up when it wants to; he should just enjoy the flow of pace. Brendan's expression lightens when the Pokedex begins to bleep furiously revealing a blip on its screen that points in Torchic's current location.

"Okay, okay. I think you work a little too well." Brendan confirms before calling out to Torchic. And good timing too, Brendan quickly notes that this room, unlike the ones they've been to so far seems far less expansive than the others and he'd rather not stick around in a suspicious room where the floor lacks any damage from the pillar of light yet contains destruction far beyond that of any floor visited thus far.

Rather than return to the stairwell and continue along their merry way the bleeping noise from the Pokedex reveals Torchic hasn't moved an inch. The chick Pokemon's actions annoy Brendan, but she's usually the sweet-tempered one of the three…

"Hey! I was trying to save my energy by gesturing to the satellites of water and fire this whole time and you couldn't catch a hint from either of them? What kind of trainer are you?" complains a female voice.

As the source of the voice is pretty unreliable, Brendan follows Torchic's gestures until she frantically points out a woman with light framed-glasses short, yet somewhat messy, orange hair, mostly wearing white trapped lower right leg down, under some debris.

Brendan gives a blank expression at this. He… really didn't see anyone there before… Some people are just too plain for their own good… Moreover…

On her end, the woman's patience is also reaching its peak but is quick to remember her situation. Judging from all actions and expressions made since entering this floor, the woman realizes that she's dealing with those obscure types of self-loathing individuals who have the tendency to runaway when unfavorable pressure is placed on them and their barely inexistent self-esteems.

Knowing this, she can easily play the domineering card and make the boy free her but she'd rather not be bothered with the burden of being saddled down to such a youth as a consequence and the psychological issues would be too messy…

"Well, your lack of basic visual capabilities isn't the most important aspect at the moment. You see me, so your objectives are clear now aren't they?" she retracts. "This is humiliating nevertheless… I swear this is the last time I wear these worthless things! They hindered my vision causing a dramatic decrease in my normal dashing functions! A perfect example to why contacts are the superior model I tell you! Ah! Silly me, prattling on like that," she retracts once more, "but as you can see, it's all I can technically do…" the woman gives a sheepish chuckle at her situation. "But seriously, I'm trapped and… you're technically inclined to assist me."

Torchic chirps blankly when Brendan hesitates, but for the woman that just means time for Phase II. "You are… you are a tester of sorts, correct? That unknown Pokedex model indicates this much. While I question the efficiency of any faction that will trust any child with two regional satellites nevertheless, who'd produce such an obscure design but as a programmer myself…" the woman grins weakly, grimacing briefly as she outstretches her right hand out to the boy. "The circumstances are regrettable, but I have to rely on the efforts of a reliable tester… A very interesting specimen you are indeed."

Brendan's expression hardens when the furious bleeps from the Pokedex give a new warning of Torchic's location. "…Guess your right. It really can't be helped, Ciel."

"Wha! Wait a second! You're foolish but you're also supposed to be soft! This isn't-- Isn't it every adolescent males dream to save a babe like me?" the woman questions disbelievingly when Brendan moves over to seize Torchic and only Torchic and with the struggling chick Pokemon in tow, now makes his way to the staircase.

"All those assumptions just because I'm a kid?" Brendan replies. "Tch! Who are you kidding? I already know I'm weak, but there's a big difference between being someone with a social phobia and someone who has a pessimistic view of the world. Also," the boy adds, "before anything else, my objective is…" Brendan's grip on Torchic and his Pokedex tightens. "My objective is to maintain the security of the Birch Numbers and Hi-Advanced Pokedex Program: Ciel. Rescuing you is just an unappealing random variable and no matter what scenario I play in my head there is no way I can make everyone happy. I'm sorry…"

"So am I…" the woman agrees uneasily, respecting the boy's resolve.

It's just not a resolve that sits well with Torchic! Even if they can't say "please", you should always help those in need, the words of Mrs. Hiromi burns in the chick Pokemon's heart. That woman hasn't said "please" but she needs help! Torchic knows she's only a little one who gets in the way, but even the little one has to come out on top eventually, right?

Even if that time isn't here, Torchic struggles until she breaks free from Brendan's grip with everything she is!

The chick Pokemon's courage surprises the woman as she races over to confines and uses those sharp things on her feet May describes to try and remove it. The woman appreciates the effort, but scratching is not going to make much of a difference here… Not that she's complaining though, so the chick Pokemon's sudden stop in her actions just to shudder confuses her…

That is until the miniature device she wears like a necklace and the lights around the room goes on the fritz. For them to act up like this--

"Augh!" Brendan yelps when his Pokedex acts the same. Luckily, he's able to grab the tossed item with his other hand before it can fall the floor. "Ach! Geez, she's overheating…!" Before Brendan can rightfully panic he instead gets annoyed as Mudkip thrashes about in an item he usually pops out of at will. Getting a better look, he quickly realizes the mud fish's Poke Ball is out of whack too. "Urgh, it's just one thing after another here!!"

As if living off Brendan's words of bad fortune, all electronics in the room begin to breakdown while the conditions of Torchic and the contained Mudkip worsen all before a massive wave of light breaks through the suspicious walls not too far from the room's current occupants.

Monstrous cries are heard as the wave begins to swell within the center. Eventually, the swell, along with the rest of the wave, disperse and reveals a four-legged gray plated Pokemon with a large horn where the swell once formed.

Bulky stature, plated gray body, a modern day face to a possibly prehistoric ancestor… The very image of the spikes Pokemon Rhyhorn. This Rhyhorn looks no different from the generalization of its species, except about its plated body lies many glistening green gems of various shape and size and it eyes, which are suppose to be the color red, are merely without pupils.

Not only did these changes give the creature an intimidating feel, great might follow the change. Proof enough comes from the surge of power the gems unleash when the deformed spikes Pokemon gives its trademark cry.

"Th-That's the outer space Pokemon?! I thought it was just a stupid gimmick!" Brendan, successfully on his rear thanks to Rhyhorn's cry, comments uneasily. The boy cries out in pain when his Pokedex short-circuits forcing him to drop it as a reflex.

"That creature… How did it--" the woman cuts herself before her frustration becomes more apparent. "Our top technology couldn't contain it?! Th-that can't be! I won't accept that!" she argues. "My schematics were perfect! There's no way--"

"Imperfection is the life of a scientist… Without it, mankind's greatest creations could never have come to be…" the voice of an elderly man reprimands.

The woman looks put off by the statement at first, but shows surprise when the small pile of rubble in front of Rhyhorn crumbles to reveal an elderly man holding some metal container, his male assistant and a flying-like Pokemon whose most distinguishing traits are the various shades of brown on its plumage, it's large piercing red eyes and even larger eyebrows of sorts. All three of them look as if they seen better days as they face down the deformed spikes Pokemon.

"D-Doctor?! B-but why are you still--"

"Shouldn't I be asking you that?" the elderly man counters. As much as the elderly man wants to continue chewing out his associate, he quickly notes Brendan. "Wha! Why is there a child still running around here? I thought all civilians have been escorted to lower levels!"

"There's a child here?" the woman questions, further grating Brendan's nerves.

"Doctor, c-could it be that he possibly didn't here the warning? Or probably got caught in the confusion?" the assistant suggests, adding that he remembers hearing some complaints going on in the thermosphere and exosphere pavilions.

"There's no time worrying about that!" the elderly man snaps. He then turns to Brendan. "You, boy, you're behind an exit. Stop dawdling and move! We'll take care of any problems here! The same goes to sluggish volunteers!" the elderly man notes for the woman.

It was quick, but Brendan and the woman both share a quick feeling of annoyance.

'Tch, useless adult, who is HE talking to like that?' Brendan scoffs to himself. Muttering something like "never wanted to bothered coming to this place anyway", Brendan grabs his Pokedex and (out of spite), picks himself up lazily.

The woman watches the boy with disinterest before turning back to her allies. "Well yes, but… the circumstances are rather unfavorable." The woman grins weakly gesturing to her current situation. The elderly man shows disappointment at the lack of morale amongst cohorts, but before he can comment on it his assistant stands.

"Doctor, at this point I really don't think escape makes much of a difference." The assistant does everything he can to hold in some composure after using such cool words. "Doctor…" he continues. "What's the status on that?"

The elderly man checks the gauge on his metal container and curses. "Charging is only at sixty-eight percent and stabilizing! This could be all we can possibly hope for at this point!"

"Just a little more!" the assistant argues. "Let's hold out for a little more! I want to believe in the research everyone poured their hearts into! If that thing is the only thing that can neutralize a Pokemon like this, then we should at least get the bar a bit higher!"

The woman and the elderly man remain silent at their colleague's optimistic-to-the-point-it's-unprofessional-idealism. While the man tries to argue his position Rhyhorn doesn't seem to care or better yet, realize anyone is there. It's just remains in place, growling lowly while those gems on its body begin to lose their luster…

'Something that can neutralize Pokemon like that?' Brendan question mentally before remembering his position. 'Well, at least not all grownups outside LittleRoot and Oldale are useless.'

No longer seeing the reason to dawdle, Brendan picks himself up. The only thing that stops the boy from racing over to the shuddering Torchic is the caution of not wanting to draw Rhyhorn's attention and that flying Pokemon… it's staring at him, as if it's judging him…

Sure, a Noctowl looking at you with its usual poker face would give one that vibe, if not, feelings of looming caution-- No matter what it was trying to obtain, Noctowl slowly shifts its attention to Torchic then back to Brendan before ascending to the air. Never letting its eyes off its target regardless of its gaining height.

"Ah! You feel the same way too Noctowl?" the assistant questions. Noctowl doesn't answer, but the assistant pays that no mind. "That outer space Pokemon… I didn't want to believe it but it may truly have the power to negate the level of its opponent… Still, on Earth a Level 12 is a Level 12! A Level 30 like Noctowl will not fall!" the assistant's determination grows as he faces down the extraterrestrial menace. "Doctor, how much time left?"

"…Sixty-nine percent."

The assistant is shaken after hearing this but holds his ground growling: "Just a bit more… We need more time! Noctowl! Special Effect: Hypnosis!"

Noctowl hears the command but doesn't act immediately. Still ascending higher while never losing watch of Brendan, everything around the owl Pokemon including the owl Pokemon itself, appear to distort on prolonged watch. And, with a blurred glint in its left eye the lights circling Rhyhorn, the elderly man, assistant and itself burst apart.

Even though the gems on its body resonate, Rhyhorn remains still, now prey to the owl Pokemon of night who sends three illusionary copies while it remains in place.

Noctowl hears various noises from the humans but ignore them. To revere something so destructive… Noctowl would much rather have used its prior attack on that monstrosity! But then again, a target like that requires direct visual contact from the eyes of body and mind. It can't afford to make the mistakes of its fellows--

A quick bout of irrationalness that cost its illusions hit Noctowl when that creature becomes more willing to give a cry. Noctowl is able to overcome but outstretches its sight back to the innocents on the other side, locking focus on the slowly approaching Torchic. The effort from another of feathers is always appreciated but this won't do, capability is severely lacking and the essence of fear is oozing from it, can this little one really be a Pokemon?!

Noctowl sends down three new illusions which move at greater zeal than before! Torchic shivers briefly, mostly due to Rhyhorn's disposition, but continues to ignore Brendan's calls to timidly chirp while moving ahead. This is bad, Noctowl realizes, perhaps this little one is under that creature's essence in a form that its fellows (and possibly, itself) weren't! How can Noctowl forget that; just by staring it down its allies went against their nature and, with those spherical containers unable to recall them, became savages that fought until felled by each other, exhaustion or that bringer of destruction below it…

…That's why Noctowl can't let that little one charge mindlessly any further! It'll swoop down and-- However… it does look pretty fragile…the poor thing might break the moment Noctowl seizes it… That kind of innocence is quite tasty, nice to corrupt but better to ea--No!! Noctowl really wishes it take of that monstrosity its way! And luckily, if those two humans don't hurry up, it can freely carryout orders a higher power entrusted it!

"Stop being naïve!" Noctowl hears the elderly man roar. "Seventy-one percent is more than a luxury than we can afford! I'm activating it, NOW!" Running a quick numerical code to activate the metal container's release button, the elderly man quickly grips a Poke Ball with a unique red gem as its front button. "It's hit or miss! Crème of Devon Corp. Labs, I entrust it to you, Dynamo Ball!"

"Dynamo Ball?!" Brendan questions. "He's actually activating it? That goes against current protocols!" the woman snaps.

"D-Doctor, please wait!" the assistant pleas.

"There's no such thing as waiting to the old! Go, Dynamo Ball!"

The item dubbed Dynamo Ball seems no different from other Poke Balls when thrown that is, until the item opens up prematurely releasing some shimmering substance around the caster, prey and anything in range before nets of red light lash out at the target Pokemon, constricts it, then falls to the floor.

Rhyhorn is agitated but…

"…Th-That's it…" the assistant mutters. "That doesn't at all looked like what was simulated."

"…That's because, it's a dud." The elderly man replies. The assistant turns to his superior for advice only to reel back when seeing a corrosive red residue making work of his skin. "Enough," he says when his assistant panics. "This prototype was a dud from the start, failure is part of science. It will all be added to the report, nothing more."

"B-But Doctor--"

"Enough! Worry a bit about yourself if hazardous effects really bother you."

The assistant grimaces but feels greater unease at the blood dripping from the hand the elderly man used for the Ball. Before he can argue or command to Noctowl to use Whirlwind, Rhyhorn's cry averts attention back to the problem at hand.

Rhyhorn's cries grow louder as the net of red light attempts to settle itself, or in actuality, sink into its target, which seems pretty painful given Rhyhorn's reactions. Despite that, Torchic slowly moves ahead for reasons beyond anyone.

"Damn, she's not listening!" Brendan growls. "And going over there looks dangerous for a human at this point…" Brendan pulls out Mudkip's Poke Ball and furiously mashes the front button only to curse when the item still proves busted. And thanks to the see-through top Brendan can easily see the look on Mudkip's face.

For those who seen them, Mudkips are noted to be cute even when upset, however the look on THIS Mudkip seems…ready for serious bloodletting. Something that easily works Brendan's already weak nerves. "Y-you think I like sitting around like this?!" he snaps. "Instead of giving me faces why not--!! Rrrrgh! Can't think under crap like this!!"

Brendan's grip on Mudkip's Ball tightens as his frustration reaches its peak. Just when the boy is about to smash the item against the ground, he instead calms down enough to pick up a sharp rock and jab it through the Poke Ball's side with the fury put back for his earlier resolve. "Pierce…through!" the boy yells during his most heavy jab. Be it the previous hammering or the "energy" he put into his most recent blow, the side of the Poke Ball is successfully punctured and now given the stubborn can against an aged can-opener treatment before malfunctioning and bursting open, freeing an annoyed Mudkip.

Mudkip doesn't bother acknowledging his partner; he's the one that got hurt so why is that idiot falling to his knees with that look? Geez, he's even breathing like he had to lift something heavy, what a hopeless guy. Screw him; Mudkip can't waste time trying to understand that guy… Not when the bastard who's been haunting him since this mess started is right in front of him! Watching that oversized freak show Mudkip feels his blood rising… And Torchic-- Mudkip rushes to his friend's side.

The woman watches the duo in amusement. Though not many know of it, she's pretty sure that boy must've known about the emergency release on the back on the Poke Ball. Poke Balls (especially these newer mass-produced models) breakdown a lot after all, so a safety release was implied to counter this defect. All it needs is a hair pin or a pointed object to jimmy the switch, but to dissect the item all about the sides…

Looks like that child has some serious anger issues… That's pretty amusing.

That is, until Rhyhorn gives its most piercing cry after a bunch of gems on its body shatter due to the effects of the net. Stilling hollering, the deformed spikes acts as if bolted in place as it thrashes it's head about violently all while its remaining gems release a vengeful surge of power matching it's mighty cry!

Yup, nothing amusing about this situation, especially when your staring imminent Armageddon in the face. Noctowl probably realizes this best and decides to snatch up the damaged Dynamo Ball when swooping down and escaping back into suspicious walls it came from in the swift yet silent disposition its species is praised for.

"N-Noctowl--Ack!!" the assistant shrieks after a burst of heat grazes him. And the source?

Only a few feet away from the deformed spikes Pokemon, Torchic drowns in her personal darkness, finding her only release in the form of a small field of flames that engulfs her, replacing her dull feathers with a glossy new coat in the process. This only furthers Rhyhorn's berserker status, bringing about a greater luster to its active gems to the point a momentary flash alongside sounds of shattering glass engulfs the area…

…Before revealing ripples of light and flame to the naked eye of man…

Although the defiance of reality only expose themselves around the berserker Rhyhorn, flame diluting Torchic and anything else close by, the woman is still very much freaked out.

"Hey, snap out of it and call those satellites back! What kind of man loses himself at such a crucial moment? Hey!!" she yells at Brendan. No good, he's totally out of it. She can only watch helplessly as the satellite of water charges ahead like a fool only to get sucked in by a flaming ripple that opens up behind Torchic and gets spit out as a blue ball of flames from a flaming ripple that opens up a few feet above the chick Pokemon moments later.

She can't help but cringe when hearing the high-pitched yelp the mud fish makes when hitting the floor.

"Doctor!" the voice of the assistant shouts frantically. The various ripples blocks the woman from seeing it, but the elderly man slumps down against the wall with the red residue looking worse than before. "Doctor, stay strong! I know help will-- Doctor, answer me! Doc-"

"…I told you to worry about yourself didn't I…?"

The assistant flinches. Not just from the harshness from his superior's tone but the red residue beginning to take shape on his skin. Reality finally sinking into his protégé is always a good thing, but, the elderly man's eyes are only on the deformed spikes Pokemon.

With a weary expression he observes as the gems again lose its luster when the Rhyhorn begins to get sucked into what it conjures. The satellite of fire seems to be suffering the same fate but this Pokemon that defies reality or more so, the hold items that won't let go…

"Hmph, so we've been betrayed, huh?" the elderly man mutters.

The first time that creature exploded with power the gems released a massive pillar of light as a shield against a trainer whose Pokemon held an elemental advantage. However, it expanded and wiped out everything in the room. Plenty of injuries about but no death, though it's unknown what became of the trainer and his Pokemon, too much confusion to notice.

Now a new duo will go unnoticed just the same. It's just a shame his protégé will be unable to pave his own future…

'The elemental that molds all elementals… I see this goes beyond mans boundaries but you don't care do you? Is this the "future" you wanted to mold with your hands…? Damn you, Mithra…!'

With detonator, host and catalyst gone, the ripples left behind begin to distort and grow unstable. They continue to carry on the deformed spikes Pokemon's legacy by ignoring the boundaries of reality when they slowly but surely drag themselves towards each other and force the center they mutually seek to sink within itself.

Luckily for them, the woman won't be the only one witnessing their greatness. Brendan doesn't really get time to react to the damage before him or the state of Mudkip when he finally got over whatever got to him, not when a giant fissure floating in mid-air is the first thing he lifts himself to see.

And within that fissure holds something about blow like a volcano…

"Well, I guess it can't be helped huh, Ciel?" Brendan mutters sadly when engulfed in a brilliant spectrum of light.

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years
    Cont
    --------------------------------

"Brendan…!" Mrs. Birch voices aloud.

Mrs. Hiromi blinks blankly at the older woman's outburst.

"…Hah, just now, my idiot son has gone and done something incredibly stupid. As expected of someone so hopeless…" Mrs. Birch sighs with a tone of regret.

Mrs. Hiromi watches the woman with a bit of surprise but eventually softens. "Gil has an amazing level of Mother's Intuition, I really envy that."

"As if I want to be told these things by you."

"…I think Gil worries too much, Brendan is a pretty resourceful young man. But if you think something bad happened, then we should--"

"I just said he's doing something incredibly stupid nothing out of the ordinary!" Mrs. Birch snaps. "In any case, you've been way too quiet. Nothing left to brag about your oh-so-precious daughter? You just mutter some crap about "inner world" and just giggled to yourself the whole time."

"Ah! Gil was interested in such a thing?"

"I didn't tell you to shut up, did I?"

"Umm… Perhaps for another chapter?" When Mrs. Birch wants to know what the hell she's talking about, Mrs. Hiromi quickly goes back to massaging. "Ahh~ Gill's got such a ridged back, it feels like I've been doing this for months…"

"SHUT UP!"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

With heavy damage and severe burns on its plated body, Rhyhorn gives off a piercing cry as a few of its gems burst. Torchic is afraid but holds her ground.

It hasn't been very long since Torchic got separated from her friends, she doesn't remember how it happened but she remembers coming to this place (or… what's left of it at this point) when entering the building. With that in consideration, she's VERY happy those group of humans and their Pokemon (specifically the serious looking man with the mustache in the front-center currently ordering the gray thing he calls Machop) for recovering her. Her tiny left wing really hurts though…

The Rhyhorn gives out another sharp cry after Machop successfully lands a beatdown in the form of (given the stuff Torchic seen on that glowing box) a one-two jab then uppercut followed by rising knee thrust, giving the superpower Pokemon leverage to grab Rhyhorn's horns with both hands then shin up it in such a way that it's actually stomping on its opponents face. Machop then finishes its pummeling by slamming down its hands on Rhyhorn's head shattering more gems and helps it gain the moment needed to return to its allies looking really cool!

Scariest part of all is the superpower Pokemon doesn't even look like its using any of its real power when doing all that.

"Good job! Blitz it before it has a chance to retaliate!" Machop's trainer orders. Machop complies by rushing at its foe, applying all impact power into the grip it makes on Rhyhorn's horn and lower jaw. When the Pokemon known for hurling a hundred adult humans without a sweat struggles to lift this unmoving beast its trainer growls: "Alien Pokemon or not, this thing's one tough bastard…" he then turns to the rest of his team. "Alright you punks, time to show those evolution-mongers the true strength of this taming unit!"

After the sharpness in their superior's voice, his unit, who are just two high school volunteers, share an uneasy glance then turn to their Pokemon who return the gesture.

When the man repeats his order with greater gruffness the girl of the duo, a blonde-haired (though possibly dyed) confident over-achiever joining as an internship to one day realize her dream of becoming a Pokemon Ranger, has the butterfly Pokemon Beautifly flutter its wings and cast Silver Wind with all its visual grace whereas the boy, a slightly younger pink-haired proud under-achiever joining to skip class, has his slacker buddy, the numb Pokemon Numel release an Ember attack brimming with dull flames that met with Beautifly's elegant wind.

Despite the clashing appeals, the properties of flame meld with the sparkling flow of air creating a shimmering firestorm heading Machop and Rhyhorn's way. Despite the risk, Machop struggles to hold its position as it continues to deny the Rhyhorn the methods its instincts cry out for most.

With the superpower Pokemon holding it down and a strong projectile coming its way, the gems on the deformed spikes Pokemon match its frustration by blinking continuously while the damaged ones release an unsettling foam that really seem to agitate its host considering the tone of extreme pain within Rhyhorn's cry.

Machop's trainer can only grimace when his partner is taken along for the ride when Rhyhorn briefly gets on its hind legs before coming down with force when shattering the ground under its forelegs due to a mixture of its power and the thick animation of its crushing claws tearing through the area around it.

Those "Crush Claws" also serve as the agent needed to knockoff (and deal decent damage to) Machop and have everyone else have a little taste of that firestorm.

Torchic, like her saviors, is knocked back but is too far for those mild flames to mean anything. The cries of that behemoth no matter how far however… Torchic ignores her personal pains to hastily jump up and see the deformed spikes Pokemon thrash about under a number of thick nets.

"Uggh… All hands, status report!" the unit leader, who took the brunt of the flames, growls.

"I-I'm fine sir," the girl answers, "but that Rhyhorn--"

"Heheh… N-nothing me and my buddy can't handle." The boy grins. After wiping some soot from his face, he gives Numel a well-deserved pat on the hump. In response to this, the numb Pokemon, who numbly holds its ground, reveals dullness in its eyes before toppling over. "Wha! Hey, snap out of it! Here's not the place to take a nap!" he panics.

"It looks like it lost the will to fight." The girl comments before realizing what she just said. "You ass! Just what kind of fire/ground hybrid of all things faints to a weak fire attack anyway?!"

"Umm… There was bug in that attack too…"

"That's not important!" she snaps. "How many times do I have to tell you to input link move commands before you attack? Numels are just one giant opening, use some defensive move after every attack! Especially when it's a Numel used by you, who'd just rush in with no skill whatsoever!"

The boy grips his partner protectively as he gives the girl a harsh look. "Okay, first of all, Pokemon aren't computers! Second, why bother mouthing me off when you should be saving your gums for Beautifly! I'm sure he'd love to know you care!"

The girl gives a hurt expression before gesturing to the butterfly Pokemon overhead.

"Silver Wind, though not Beautifly's best or most stable move IS still its trademark and can prove useful strategically if the Beautifly in question is competent enough to pool the attack to its fullest." She explains. "It's still a move that leaves them exposed during the cast so, you need to have moves like Stun Spore or Protect linked before and after that move to keep it up to speed and closer to victory. If you actually tried teaching your Pokemon how to at most link a few moves together you probably won't lose so much. So, try keeping that in mind, dropout boy."

"Scholarship dropout."

"What did you-"

"That's enough out of both of you!" the man growls. "Does this look like the playground to either you?! Stay focused or get out here, I won't say this again!"

When both teens (and Torchic) flinch and apologize, the man glares at his opponent and curses his odds. Outer Space Pokemon, huh? As much as he'd like to scoff that, he's battled plenty of Rhyhorn trainers in his days and though tough, none of them exceeded the realism of stamina and a good old fashioned Machop beatdown. The dons of the family were another story…

But looking inside his Poke Ball the man can only grit his teeth when watching his longtime ally grimace and grip its right arm tightly. Though a Machop, the three ridges on its head look jagged giving it, along with its slight difference in height and better toned body, an older look to over all.

With that said the aged superpower Pokemon should be grateful experience in evasive recalls is why it's not in as bad shape as it should be. Still, getting pushed back this far by some hatchling lost in its own power…?

The superpower Pokemon expresses no shock when its longtime fighting buddy calls him back to the battlefield. In fact, it grins when ordering to go as far as making that monstrosity faint if it has to.

It does show some surprise when its subordinate flutters down beside it and curls and uncurls its mouthpiece threateningly at Rhyhorn however.

"Sir, requesting to supply offensive support!" the girl, back on her feet, voices. "Beautifly hasn't touched its limits yet, it can still fight!"

"I usually prefer being the front man but, I'll settle for utility and um… visual aide this time, Sir." The boy adds. He grips Numel as it weakly stretches out to the foe afar.

The two volunteers (and Torchic) display frustration when their leader remains silent as Machop races towards its foe having its arms crossed in an X styling.

"…It looks like I was incorrect…" the man scoffs. "It doesn't matter what region you're from, as long as you hold the title of Pokemon trainer, you were born to fight! Whatever you do, I expect to see your all!"

The two youths don't react to their leader's morale boost immediately, but get to business with great vigor when they do.

And as such, the boy turns to Torchic. "Heh heh, the little cutie is still here? Seriously though, you really should split. Sure, even we dropouts have our pride but there's no pride in getting turned into road kill when you can't even land a hit in."

"Hey, stay focused!" the girl snaps, repeating her orders for an X-Attack and X-Accuracy.

Torchic hesitates; her friends are still up there after all. But she shivers when hearing Rhyhorn's piercing cry. She really wants to run but she has to be reliable too…

"Run," the boy repeats, "we got this. At least if you get out safe then we can say we're doing our job. Besides, I won't be getting beat anytime soon so hurry up! …Or do you want to partner up with me and my buddy?"

Torchic backs away slowly after hearing that.

"Well, if that's what you want then you should hop on in now." He smiles, gesturing an empty Poke Ball Torchic's way.

"You can stay here as long as you like, happy now?" are the words of acceptance that echoes throughout Torchic's heart.

That's right… She has a place where she's happiest; a life she now has from her own free will, so why does everyone want to take that…?

"Human and Pokemon, some are born with unbalanced power, while unfortunate ones like yourself are born to be their food… Such a one-sided world this is…" the lady enchantress' words are making a bit of sense now…

…Horrible… It's too horrible and she wants no part in it!

"…All civilians successfully evacuated on this level, Sir." The boy confirms, patting Numel's head reassuringly.

"Good job." The man replies. With the morale spread out and all hindrances clear, the man glares down his invulnerable foe. "I really don't know what the hell God was thinking when he sent monstrosities like you to our world. But whatever you're after you'll never sabotage the bond between man and Pokemon! Bring it on, you damned Alien!"

Rhyhorn's cries along with the sounds of massive damage symbolize the start of the final battle. However, as she chooses to not witness it, Torchic still gets notice of this as the impact of destruction throws her forward.

The chick Pokemon winces a bit but she wonders how those people are holding up…

"You're too small to be good for anyone; get behind me before you get hurt!" the words that remind her where she stands help the chick Pokemon shakily get up and continue to run.

Though running is a bit tricky when your eyes start getting all watery.

The burbling in her belly is picking at her more than ever too! Every time that happens though, May was there to makes those bad feelings go away. But this time--Why is she thinking about all that?! Her friends, those nice people…!

Because her legs keep moving, Torchic makes a few turns around various places until she finds herself at a dead end. She gives this little notice however; getting the water out of her eyes gets higher notice…

That doesn't stop Torchic from jumping when a loose brick leaves its craft and decides to loudly join her side. This upsets her but the distraction does make her act on a priority higher than crying… That being running to May's side, that is.

Torchic is so happy to see May the fact the girl is slumped against a wall with cuts and bruises that look worse with every gaining step amongst a heavily damaged area doesn't seem to trigger. Then again, the damaged area would explain the two people wearing the clothes her protectors did in worse shape than May…

Torchic remains oblivious to all this and selfishly cuddles against May's arm, gaining no response no matter how affectionate her rubs. The chick Pokemon doesn't give up and simply switches sides before trying to nudge May's legs. Whatever her efforts the results remain the same… With reality settling down on the chick Pokemon once more she only chirps tearfully while taking it upon herself to nestle between May's right arm.

Probably all this is just those bad dreams May talks of… She should just close her eyes…

"…It's hot… Go sleep somewhere else…!"

Torchic jumps out of reflex from the typical complaint but brightens soon after when realizing what this means: And Torchic is just happy to know the one most important to her is alright! She doesn't really get the whole mutterings about this "smokehouse scent" thing, but who cares!

"Urrgh… yes, that's definitely it…there's no denying it now…" one of the downed staff workers replies weakly. "The reviving smell of a smokehouse…! As a man who spends every Friday evening eating at one I can definitely assure you that's the real deal!" he confirms, raising his head with a vigor that matches his words.

Since all he sees is the same stubborn kid from earlier and some orange Pokemon, he decides to give up on tracing that lingering yet mouth-watering smell and looks for his partner. With there being no chance in hell that he'll look behind in his state, he opts to loudly call his name, earning a firm "Shaddup" from far behind. The idiot is alive apparently, the guy doesn't even wanna know what one would look like after staying by the door rather than push away a trespasser even when it's pretty obvious that outer space Pokemon is close and about to blow its top.

That idiot must regret not trying to be a hero, the man figures even if that said idiot is sitting up and in a lot better shape than some bigger idiot lying on the ground. If anything, the dirt and debris looks… placed…

Torchic turns back to May when she pulls the right side of her feathery face. Right… This whole mess was never meant to be either of their problems and worse off, May got hurt looking for her when she had no say in this to begin with…

The chick Pokemon feels apologetic and readily awaits punishment but May needs to stop teasing her like this first. She's not really an expert at it, but usually not looking so happy in a sad way is usually the first step right…?

Well, May's grip got tighter so that's something of a start.

"Torchic you…!" May begins. "Do you always do what others tell you?" she says to Torchic's surprise. "I'M the one who took you in, so you should be listening to ME! You're… my little one who I said I'd protect… so… let me protect you okay…?"

Torchic chirps blankly and leaves it at that. Everything within her pretty much stops when hearing the cries of the deformed spikes Pokemon.

"Y-You gotta be kidding me! After all this that thing still hasn't been stopped?!" The staffer on the ground growls.

As if answering the question, the deformed spikes Pokemon gives a loud cry that sounds closer than previous ones. Not something that pleases the odd party.

"Tch! What a waste!" the other staffer mutters. His only chance at having a legit excuse to not be on his feet while on the job and this nonsense re-rears itself. Pushing off the debris, the man impresses those watching by jumping to his feet nimbly before falling onto his face due to his legs falling asleep.

"This is because you're a vegan you know…" the staffer on the ground comments.

"Shaddup…"

Another nearing cry from the deformed spikes Pokemon puts an end to all would-be light-heartedness. Torchic chirps softly when May quickly grabs her and shields her from the world's dangers in a protective hug.

She chirps even more from the tender warmth their hug creates but along the soothing warmth she also feels May's wincing and begins to think back to the girl's injuries with uneasiness.

"… Tor…chic…nya? …I hope…I can give you a better name…one…da…"

Torchic rubs against May fondly at the memory. She really has no problem being her little one and is basically living a dream… Everything should be fine…

Torchic chirps when noticing May's hold around her tightens while promising to keep her safe no matter what, just like she promised since the day they met…

…Everything should be fine just like this…

"I'll work things out so you two can play together everyday."

Then why does she try so hard? To make May like her and be helpful to the lady enchantress is the most obvious answer at first and that seems to be going very well to boot. But why did she pull that stunt with that monster? She seriously lacks that "Burning Power of Infinite Courage" those humans in bright colors on the glowing box talk about all the time even if she IS infinitely burning but did that crazy thing anyway…

"Run, we got this. At least if you get out safe then we can say we're doing our job."

That's true isn't it? All she's been is a crying survivor accepting help from anyone. But when she tries to help even if she's giving it her all, she still ends up needing it because she's not strong right? She's just a little one….

"Do you wish to know your blessing little one? That very depravity that differentiates the standards of human and Pokemon! You, of course!"

Her blessing is…herself… Torchic still doesn't get what the lady enchantress means and it doesn't come to her in final second explosion of valor either. Despite that, fear, confusion or any kind of nervousness aren't among the chick Pokemon's feelings. In fact, when hearing another of the deformed spikes Pokemon's nearing cries the burbling in her belly lacks that wave of displeasure within it… Just an indifferent coolness…

Torchic chirps softly before cuddling against May as much as she can before wriggling free from her grip. Even if it means using the sharp thing May showed her to gain the ability to do so.

"Wh-what's wrong with you? I said I'd protect you didn't I? I- I know I wasn't always the nicest to you but--" May winces but that doesn't stop her from hiding her blush. "If it's just a little one like you I'd-- Stop trying to scare me all the time…!"

You know what? Being "little one" is a good enough for someone like her…

Just hearing those kinds of words makes the burbling within find their release. The usual result don't occur though, the chick Pokemon just feels a wave of tranquil heat traveling within her body with the belly being the lighthouse beacon to guide it all.

This feeling kind of scares her a bit…

"Just let it be," the other staffer reasons when tired of hearing May call out to the exiting chick Pokemon, "I'm no expert at this stuff but if their trainer means enough to them a Pokemon will throw away everything to keep them safe, respect it's resolve." He snaps before giving it more thought. "But still, to be able to do that to creatures who can destroy the world if they wanted… Is it even fair to call you guys human?"

"…She wants to…protect…me?! Don't be stupid Torchic! I won't allow it!" May shouts. With the chick Pokemon refusing to respond to her, May struggles to pick herself, eventually managing to lean against the wall. "What's wrong with you? I won't allow this insubordination! If you go I'll-- I don't want to…"

Torchic hears the calls but this can't go on anymore…everyone being like this…

Those sharp things on her feet, the flames within and, her blessing…

She has her decision: Until she can get better methods… Torchic will… She will protect what's important, her way!

Flaring resolve! The Satellite of Fire launches!

To be continued

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    (Notes)

Alongside the element(s) that describes you comes a "plus", "negative" and a "neutral" trait. Some tend to start at one and stay at that, others constantly change depending on the situation or who we're dealing with. But ultimately, it is only you who can control yourself and who want to be.

I'm really going to write that elemental chart alongside the next Intermission. I'm actually pretty excited.

1. Originally this chapter wasn't supposed to turn out so long (Sure, I planned the two part split for dramatic effect but this wasn't the ending I had in mind). But when writing I suddenly didn't like the idea of the crisis at being a main character only affair and wanted to show some of the staff doing their job/reacting to the situations which ultimately made me scrap the original version of Part A to this chapter (Part B only received slight changes at the start sorta work out better that way anyway) and well… anyway we got a new chapter of sorts under our belt didn't we?

So to make a small tribute to circumstance, I'll give a light profile about our one-shot characters appeared thus far in Hurricane:

Other May: First appears vocally in Chapter 1 Part 2. Appears fully in Chapter 2, is finally defeated in Chapter 3. Also known as: Dark Soul May, Keeper of Memories or…

One of the two "defense mechanisms" as Mrs. Hiromi calls them. Really (as said by the other contributor to May Hiromi's creation) they are the "guardian properties" that makes May Hiromi whole until May found a way to support her own existence. One who has endured and witnessed every change and reset made within May's core, and bears a great hatred of Mrs. Hiromi, the other (missing) guardian along with "this" May and deeply desires the return of something lost but will never truly return. "Ufufu~ you're quite a messed up one, aren't you? At least I won't be bored, so please entertain me well, little silhouette".

She tries to entice May and make her an embodiment of what she once was prior to events of Chapter 0s but ultimately never stood a chance due to the erratic nature and mindset that made "this" May in control. In a final act of defiance to her will, May rips her out from her soul losing any chance of obtaining memories contained from her past as a result. Past is past anyway though, right?

Regardless, the damage of May's interactions with her are remain, instilling the ideals of hate, fear and mistrust into the girl's heart. However, May also learned that all negativities in the heart can be overcome if the will to seize your justice is stronger. She never stood a chance indeed…

An entity that existed before her time. Though destroyed, her story is far from over… A scorned guardian that will haunt the one that shunned her.

The young woman being consumed by a Wave: First appears in Chapter 4. A young woman who dropped out of high school and lives in obscurity with her parents. "This world and its people… it's ugly… I hate it… When will they all… go away". Quit school due to being picked on too much by her mean-spirited peers and lack of support from school staff, grew to hate humanity and has very little value of living… Be it others or herself. Rarely goes outside but her mother forces her to every so often. She says being out in this world of false light is when her soul deteriorates most.

Since getting purified by May Hiromi she's been in a comatose state due to the Wave's assimilation of a great deal of her soul and time spent within her as well as the heavy damages to what's left due to the unstable power release from the mentally unstable May.

Her fate is currently unknown. A young woman perpetually in darkness…

The trainer: First appears in Chapter 3. A Pokemon trainer nothing more. Like many, he also has a dream of being top in a said field. That being Double Battle. "Leo, Rona, our dance will definitely become Hoenn's best". An easygoing and friendly person at heart who tends to help others in need. Currently somewhere in Hoenn continuing his training regime and has become tougher when training his Poochyena, Rona. Is picky about the Pokemon he catches (only wants exotic looking ones) and currently owns two badges.

Currently trying to figure out how to get to Dewford Island. A Pokemon trainer through and through. Good luck!

The elderly scientist: Appears in this chapter. A man who treats the idea of science as he does life: One full of trial and error. "If you haven't made an error yet you haven't lived". He's very strict to those around him despite that, many just think he's an old man bitter that the world of bright minds will overtake his generation but in fact, he's very passionate about his field and wants the future to be left in capable hands.

He seems to a chronic gambler. A gutsy old man that loves rough odds.

The elderly scientist's assistant: Appears in this chapter. A brilliant individual whose idealism gets the better of him. "The world is constantly evolving, but for the world to do that, growth in technology is needed. That's why, I refuse to believe any technology was made with the intents of harming anyone from its creation." Sees the elderly man as something of a father-figure due to his lack of one as a child.

Somewhere in his twenties. A person who dreams of making a difference with his trade.

The leader of the taming unit and his Machop: Appears in this chapter. A strong duo who heralds from Kanto, the region of war machine trainers. Machop is his first and only Pokemon by choice and they've been through a lot together. A duo who belongs to the Kanto military coming to Hoenn alongside some other soldiers as an assignment to deliver the outer space Pokemon found in the Fuchsia City Safari Zone to the Hoenn Planetarium hence keeping the already poor relationship between Kanto/Johto and Hoenn stable.

Despite being critical of the region (as critical as they are of those who see Pokemon evolution as a way to power) they remain as requested to keep watch of the creature. However, they were placed on a low-rank taming unit with no relation to the target despite all that…

The man is in his forties and has a wife and two daughters waiting back in Vermillion City while Machop, despite it's appearance, is a very tidy individual and enjoys housework. No nonsense super guys.

Back