• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DnD - Any players?

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2012
    Played as a Snowman in an Adventure we were warned would take us through worlds and about 3 months to complete. Everything was awesome until we reached a Desert....Never play as a snowman..just...not as fun as it sounds.

Halmtier

THE HOBO
    Years
    I play D&D, but am not interested in 4th. It was by far the worst of the editions! I started with 1st, loved 2nd for it's setting improvements and versatility, and liked the stream lining they did with 3. (3.5 not so much). Fourth was an insult though, as it was pretty much just an MMORPG version. =(

Soul Saint

Ghost~
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    Your friend is cheating.

There is a combo by which you can cast a 9th level spell at 6th level once per day, but that's only for a cleric. It involves Divine Metamagic, Heighten Spell, Sanctum Spell, and Extra Slot, which combine to give you a single 9th-level spell slot. That is the cheesiest possibility for low-level spells available outside of infinite power, however.

D&D 3.5e is really not /that/ broken (not nearly as broken as you think it is) unless you want to actively break it. Then it becomes ridiculous.

My bad for even saying what I had about the books. What I should have said was "Allowing players to use some of the classes on the wiki's as they are, with some of the more favored feats, creates the broken character's I've seen.". I also need to keep in mind how the usual DM gives out insane magic items he's created. I've been thinking about quitting his group entirely. Same guy that my question spawned from. Not a great DM.

I knew the way for a cleric to be able to, skimmed some posts that came up when I searched around. There was also something for necromancers I believe. The only feat I could find that would work for his sorcerer was from the "Complete Arcane" book, "Practiced Spellcaster" I think it was.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
    What? Practiced Spellcaster doesn't do that. Not even close. There's nothing for anyone outside of clerics to cheese this combo because you need Divine Metamagic to do it. If you're talking about Illumian Naenhoon, that's basically the same thing, so I guess Dread Necromancers who are Illumians can also do it (I need to check the wording but I am /fairly/ sure this is correct).

Practiced Spellcaster is a feat that allows gishes to suck less (i.e. increase one's caster level - and ONLY CASTER LEVEL - when one does not have as many CL as one's levels / hit dice); it doesn't give any extra spells for those caster levels.

The Wiki is silly for the most part and no one should use any class from it unless it's been approved by the DM. The DM holds absolute power over balance; I advise you to ditch your DM and get a new one if he can't handle it correctly.

Soul Saint

Ghost~
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    What the Practiced Spellcaster feat does is allow you to cast a spell that is on par with a 9th level spell. You don't gain any of the spells, as I have said before, but you get a single spell(I believe) that is on par with a 9th level spell. My wording before may have thrown you off, but I never said you could obtain a 9th level spell with it. >.>"

Most likely will be ditching him. Another buddy that used to be in the same group started up his own adventure - Much more open, not linear and he at least does better with balancing things. His custom creatures are nicely done, and his NPC's are pretty in-depth compared to how most other DM's I've met have theirs. He's got some downsides too: Not the best with rules, drop items/loot in general needs work, and working on his presence are the bigger things. Working with him on them right now actually. xD

Back