• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do genders matter when catching Pokémon?

Years
    I could really care less about genders when it comes to catching Pokemon. I dont go out of my way to capture males more than females or vice versa.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    When a pokemon has a design which resembles a certain gender, I like to use one which is of the unexpected gender. IE: Male Gardevoir, Female Graveler etc.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I don't really bother with genders until breeding and such. If I want the Pokemon, I'll catch it, regardless of its gender. However; there are certain exceptions. Because there are Pokemon out there who should be a certain gender. i.e Machamp and the likes lol. I will make the effort to find the right gender for those types of Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I'm not generally fussed, although I like to have a 1:1 ratio in teams in case of Attract.
    The main reason I may be bothered about genders is when there's an aesthetic (or functional, as with some bug-types) difference between them. Recently I had a friend breed me a female Torchic because I prefer a female Blaziken's shorter 'hair'.

Ritzz

Bazinga
    Years
    I typically don't care, except I happen to get a lot males. Surprising that my last run consisted of all female pokemon.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Sometimes, when I'm catching them for breeding purposes and such. Generally, gender doesn't really play a huge part when I'm catching Pokemon. Sometimes I like to catch a specific gender of a particular Pokemon for the heck of it, aye. c:

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Yes. For example, I'd rather catch a male Scraggy than a female because a male Scraggy makes more sense since Scraggy is a masculine Pokémon, in my opinion. It really depends on the Pokémon for what I prefer, because I just look at a Pokémon, and most of them (not all of them) tend to look more of a certain gender than the other. Most of my team is males, though. I restart a game if I choose a female starter.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    Usually I hunt for males because I've heard they're stronger than females (might be false). But if I really want some Pokémon then I don't care if it's male of female.

Back