• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do HM slaves bug you?

Moskau

Oh, dear...
    Years
    They're so annoying, I dislike them. So I usually try to incorporate HMs into my team, building around the crappy ones and trying to make up for the waste-of-a-move slot with more powerful attacks.

Eirikir

Water Pokemon Veteran
    Years
    I posted in another thread that I think Field Effects should be separate from moves/attacks, like in PKMN Ranger In the other thread I thought I had gotten the idea from PKMN MD, but I was wrong, its Ranger.

Years
    • VA
    • Seen May 13, 2014
    It's annoying when you import a team to play through the game and have to constantly switch lineups to make room for HM slaves.

Otherwise it's not a big deal. And I can't wait for HG/SS to get Red Gyara HM Slave again :D

Oh, and thankfully Gen IV added a useful HM move to bring the total of playable HM moves to two: Surf and Waterfall

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
    Depends. Surf and Fly are quite useful, where flash and whirlpool is not so much. So I'll give the decent HMs to pokemon I like and the bad ones to my HM slave, which is a pokemon that can learn at least 3-4 hms.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Depends. Surf and Fly are quite useful, where flash and whirlpool is not so much. So I'll give the decent HMs to pokemon I like and the bad ones to my HM slave, which is a pokemon that can learn at least 3-4 hms.

^This is a good idea, and usually how I manage it 2. I guess I have to be grateful they give us pokes like Bidoof, or else life would be miserable lol.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    I have a Bibarel and a Mew always in my party in Diamond and Platinum. :P
    I am currently playing through Platinum and my team consists of Grotle, Zubat, and Rock Smash Geodude (which is an HM slave). Once I am able, I will catch a Bibarel and a Tropius to replace the randomness. :P I usually end up catching my last Pokemon pretty late in the game, so it's not too bad. I try to get Eevee and a pseudo-legendary (and sometimes a real legendary), which are found pretty late.
    Only thing I dislike is traversing Victory Road with only four battling Pokemon. :(

Nincada

Please be kind.
    Years
    It makes me pretty pissed sometimes.

I don't enjoy having to run to my pc all the time to get my bibarel or someone to fly me. It's not terrible, but since only two HMs are practical in battle, I don't like the concept as a whole.

Zheeph

2794 3335 3469 - SoulSilver FC
    Years
    That and some other thing, during the Elite Four, everyone takes their HM slaves to be useful as a sacrifice, right? For example, your lvl 60 is low on HP, you beat the opponent's pokémon, you send the HM slave, you use a Full restore on the lvl 60, the slave faints.
    I don't really like to do this, but it's necessary, i don't like having them on my team just to suffer and be ignored lol

Years
    The concept of HM moves are smart and good for regular gameplay but I myself personally don't like to use them on any of my starters or any Pokemon I really want to train up so I like to catch a Pokemon I could use this for and just waste a slot or keep him/her in the PC.

There is some decent HM moves such as Surf =p

MechaTrickster

Another person in the world
    Years
    Fly & Surf, ill give those to my water and flying pokes. The rest of the HMs go to a bibarel, linoone or raticate. I only use the HMs like flash and sweent scent AFTER beating the game. Unless I need flash

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2009
    I try to use HM's on a pokemon im not going to just forget about. I use them with pokemon im gonna train and make powerful with a HM as a bonus.

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
    Years
    I can get through the game with three or four pokes, so the ultimate hm slaves bibarel and staraptor aren't a big deal for me to add to my team.

Last edited:
    Back