• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do schools teach the right things?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Yes definitely yes. If for no other reason than it increases the learning capabilities of all other classes if it is utilized properly by giving the kids a break, fresh air/whatever, and it just refreshes them before their next lesson. I don't know the exact brain science behind all this, but I'm watching it in a video by some douche-y guy that is teaching us how to be better students.

PE/Gym makes me miserable. I cried more than once over that class in middle/high school because it was the worst part of my day, dreaded it all day until it came and then spent the rest of the day trying to salvage the rest of the day after dealing with it. Gym isn't for everyone.

...Well, at least not the way most schools teach it. They operate under the assumption that most older children like exercise and need no 'fun' involved, or that the fun has to cater to the group of kids that already like sports. As a little kid, they made up games that were really fun and unique and I enjoyed playing. As I got older, they either just made us run or made us play organized sports, both things I hated so I was miserable the entire time. Gym needs to be reworked as well.

CrazyMrHans

Drunk and slightly Irish
    Years
    I never personally had a problem with PE, but I know more than a few people who did. A lot of what we did was mostly just fun random stuff, there were occasions with hard athletics and good solid physical exercise, but they were never terribly frequent. I'm guessing it varies from school to school and teacher to teacher.

One subject I do have a massive problem with is English, now I don't know if this is just the teachers at my school, but my god is it not taught properly. Literally every text you study is over-examined to ****, to the point where you start to lose appreciation for it, and they down-right ruin Shakespeare. I know Shakespeare isn't everybody's kettle of fish, but it would help if they exclusively studied the performances of the plays, as they were intended to be seen, rather than poring over scripts like a bunch of twats. Also, the fact that you can get a **** mark regardless of how well written your work is, JUST because the marker disagrees with your opinion is insane.

Years
    I just watched a TED talk yesterday which talked about how one person believes that schools destroy creativity and makes a good argument for it. Worth a watch, and the guy is a good speaker and funny, too. Here's the video:

Back