• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do the gym leaders get harder?

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    I dont think they do, i thought gym leader 4 was easier than gym leader 1 lol!
    what does anyone else think?

Ash~The Purifying Prince~

TLOTPP "Haunting Dreams" 77%
    Years
    Personally; I actually found all the gyms easy xD, I only had a little trouble with Fantina but I got past that really quickly; I even thought the Pokemon League was a piece of cake; compared to the league and gyms in the old Blue, Red and Yellow the ones in the newer games are much easier xD.

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    If you train your team right, as in keeping an equal varied team then you'll have no problems with any of the gym leaders which I didn't ;) Some are easier than others though but it's all to do with your Pokemon types though isn't it..

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    I agree in a way lol But I think that a Gym is either easy or hard depending on what type Pokemon you use. So if you use a Water Pokemon on a Fire Gym then that Gym would be made easy but if you use a Water Pokemon on a Grass Gym then that Gym would be made hard. And yeah Ash~The Purifying Prince~ and Zenus I agree!

Last edited:

Ash~The Purifying Prince~

TLOTPP "Haunting Dreams" 77%
    Years
    Thats right; it also depends on the types of Pokes that you use in the gyms and in the league; if you know each gyms weakness then of course you're going to have an easier time. Its just a matter of planning out the right way to go about it; it also goes on how you caculate the levels as well to the Pokemon that you use up against them. If you've been with the games right through and to present then you pretty much know how to go about it, if you know the types of Pokemon each gym uses. So if you're ever having trouble, just go train some more and think of a different apporach and how you should use your Pokemons moves to the advantage. Also I know its just a game, but it all comes down to trust; if you don't trust in yourself to beat a gym leader or someone of the Elite Four, then there is that chance you'll make a mistake and it could cost you the battle.
    But even if you do lose, you could always try again later.

GOLD.FTW

Gold Version = Epic
    Years
    it pretty much all depends on how your team is going at that point in the game. i say they are all easy due to you are always gonna be gaining levels and in that you are keeping up with the game. =)

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    Yeaaa Bec i agree :)
    If you have each of every pokemon for e.g water,fire,grass then when your against a leader you can just change over your pokemon and get the one suitable for that battle, that way you'll have a very good chance of winning.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    I don't find them hard, i think their easy(ish), just say for me 4 will be easier than 1 its odd haha.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2009
    They are not hard if you have a great team.But i think the most difficult Leaders are in Johto and Kanto Region,because are the first versions so which gym were different for each other,for example:after defeated Morty on Ecruteak,you will fight with Chuck ... and he is a trainer of Fighiting Pokemon :s it's difficult ... and then you will fight Jasmine,a master of steel ... so strange.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Other than maybe Roxanne and Roark, Sinnoh and Hoenn Gym leaders fail in general. I found that as long as your pokemon match their levels, you'll have no problem at all. In contrast, Kanto and Johto gym leaders were a lot tougher, had better AI, and had strong countermeasures against their type weaknesses, so matching their levels wasn't enough, you had to have countermeasures to their countermeasures. :P

Leyt

Absolution
    Years
    The gyms have generally been fairly easy, and D/P/Pt's Elite Four were the same. I didn't lose to any of the gym leaders or Elite Four members, though Cynthia's Garchomp presented some difficulties for my team of four. Maybe HG and SS will offer some challenges, old and new.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    The first is hardest because Nintendo always screws up the level starting, but the growing rate is so tiny it doesn't hurt.

The only gym(s) I ever had trouble with were Whitney and The Twins (because I had a perfectly even team of...level 36's)

Ayselipera

The first gym is always the hardest because I usually choose a fire type.
    Except in Johto I always go for chikorita, but that never works out either.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Each region had there hard and easy Gym Leaders. Suprisingly it usually tends to be the early one that are difficult because that early in the game your selection of Pokemon is limited and a difference in only a couple of levels has a bigger impact than later on.

Johto's Gyms were too underleved. Whitney's Miltank wasn't that difficult it was just annoying. But Curse from my Gastly plus Smokescreens from Quilava put an end to it.

Lash

Years
    Other than Whitney with her dreadful Miltank, the only other gym leaders I had trouble with were Tate and Liza.

As previously stated in this thread, if your team is well balanced and well trained, there's no trouble with any gyms.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    It depends really on the party you have at the time. If you have the fire type and you breeze through Brock and then don't really collect any other pokemon, Misty could be rough with the fire type. But for the most part, all the gym leaders are generally easy but it is always fun to face them. I am always excited to get to the next town but I never rush.

Back