• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Do the pokemon GBA games still work?

TheBigMan0706

Monster hunting Snivy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2016
    The reason I asked this question is i saw an episode of SlowFlake's Pokemon Crystal let's play and he said the old pokemon games (Gold to Leaf Green) will have problems saving data. Do you thing this is true?

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
    Years
    My Crystal game stopped saving, but I haven't had any trouble with my GBA games, aside from the clock glitch in Sapphire (which FR fixed). As far as I know, they should work fine aside from general use wearing them down.

chezhead

Thirty characters is not enoug
    Years
    Yeah, the only game that died on me was my Crystal, but you can replace an internal battery or something. Just google it.
    I think the only problems are internal clocks that run while you don't play, and eventually wear the battery down and kill the game (unless you replace it!).

The DS games have the clocks in the DS, so the DS's battery is worn down.

I don't know about the GBA games, however. All mine work.

Oh, and hello, Arechal.

TheBigMan0706

Monster hunting Snivy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2016
    thanks for all of the answers. and i'm surprised crystal is the only game that died...

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Of course they still work, silly. :3
    Although, they may have problems saving if they're too old, that is.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    It's not like Nintendo took over the Goldenrod Tokyo Radio Tower or something equally silly-named and sent a signal that makes all GBA games evolve explode. =|

Saves, you might have problems, but it should be okay. My Emerald's been fine since I got it in '04 or '05. =D

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    My Sapphire, Ruby and FireRed all work . One of my friends gave me a Crystal whose battery I replaced and is now working .

I believe the GBC ones can break as they use old batteries . They are still commercially available though and there are tutorials around the internet explaining the whole process . Try searching on YouTube : Replacing Internal Battery of Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal/GSC

TheBigMan0706

Monster hunting Snivy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2016
    thanks for all of the advice, and i'm really amazed that one person's pokemon GBA game works after 5-6 years after purchase

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    It never occurred to me that they might break someday... That makes me sad. :( I guess I just have to accept the fact that the GBA is obsolete.

Mine are still working perfectly, though! :D Sure, the internal clock ran dry, but there weren't a lot of time based events in Gen III anyway.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2010
    The internal clock ran dry on my Ruby game. Then again, I got the game like that.

No, I didn't buy it new.

The Girl Once named Tracie

She who tames Celebi
    Years
    my leafgreen, sapphire, and emerald all run like the day they were pulled out of the box, and I have well over 1,000 hours logged on each. If 1,000 hours and five years doesn't wear them down, nothing will.

GB games, on the other hand.... good luck finding a working one :p

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    It's only with the Generation II games (and the R/S clock glitch) that saving sometimes fails for no explicable reason (even then it's explainable; the battery in them wears down, but that's repairable). All of my Gen III games still work fine, and I've had them since 2007 (and I'm not sure about Emerald, since I got that preowned).

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    The internal clock ran dry on my Ruby game. Then again, I got the game like that.

No, I didn't buy it new.
    Did you steal my Ruby from me? Mine's the exact same way, and I bought it used too. :o

I wish I still had my Leaf Green and Red/Blue/Yellow/original Silver around to see if they still worked, but I have no clue where they are. :(

Years
    I think my Gold is dying.
    I saved after beating Team Rocket at the Radio Tower in Goldenrod, and when I went to the PC to retrieve a Pokemon, they were all level 0.
    Good think HG came out a few days later.
    xD

Back