• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do You Keep Your Starter Pokemon??

Do you keep your starter in your team??

• Yes

Votes: 449 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 90 16.7%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen May 29, 2022
    I always use my starter on the way through the game, mostly because the end evolution looks really cool :p. But like totodile42, I usually change to other pokemon, unless I like my starters moveset, then I will continue to train it up.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2013
    Not very often. I just don't usually care for the starter pokemon that much. Really, Venusaur and Empoleon are the only ones I particularly like.

Although when I get Pokemon Black I might keep my starter pokemon, since Tsutarja's evolutions are kind of neat.

pockeyfox

Grand Trainer
    Years
  • I usually end up building a team that revolves around my starter. On the few times I have successfully removed my starter from my team, I can feel it's sadness, and I usually cave.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I usually don't. Especially, since I use Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium. If you say that Chiko's the worst starter, then you just don't know how to use him/her. xP

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    No, I don't keep it. :S
    I don't like using starters, I feel that it's lack of originality somehow.
    Slowking replaced my Croconaw in HG after before the third gym. (Yay for GTS evolution trick!)

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    My team is nothing without my starter. It just feels weird not having it with me at all times. I feel less like a special trainer and more like an average trainer that just happens to have some strong, and more common to spot than a starter, pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2012
    I love Pokemon, and [S-HIGHLIGHT]yes[/S-HIGHLIGHT] i keep my Starter Pokemon in my party because i've trained it from the start.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2011
    I always keep starter pokemon. It feels wierd when you get rid of them, so I trade them in my other games

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2013
    Normally I would keep it, but I also find that it to be...i dont really know how to put it. But, i think that capturing and raising a "starter" from the wild to be a little more..appropriate.

evydude456

Pokemon Addict
    Years
  • I always keep my starter in my party- in fact, after I beat Ruby and got most of the pokemon in it, I migrated all of my pokemon to platinum, and I traded them to HG. My Swampert, who was raised to level 100 without cheating, helped me beat the elite four in HG.

Multigen

The Splicer
    Years
  • Well, obviously!! Aside from looking absolutely badarse, starters are an important part of your (well, my) team because I always pick the water type and they're the best water type you can find as far as learnsets and stats go for at least the first half of the game. Also my team seems more like a family (I'm a nerd, I know) when I have good ol' Swampert or Feraligatr to round off my team. The only game I have in which my starter has spent time somewhere other than in my party is Emerald, and it was only for breeding reasons.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    I always keep it in my party. I feel bad when I deposit him into the box for even a second! It's odd to have emotions towards computer data :O

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2011
    I keep Typhosion within my party constantly in HG, even though I usually keep my Alakazam or Metagross in the first slot. However, in Pearl, I don't always keep my Infernape with me, as it is a lower level than the rest of my team (only level 70). I do keep my Blaziken with me though, as he is a nice level 98, and I'm kind of fond of him, as I've had him since my Emerald version.

Ibis

flyin' with Lugia!
    Years
  • Everyone likes to laugh at the starters in HGSS/GS, but my little Bayleef helped me beat the Elite Four, believe it or not, and he was actually underleveled.

With that said, where I have boxed him on occasion so I could train other new/incoming members on my team, he has never missed a Gym Battle and it seems wrong to leave him out. After all, we started our adventure together... so why not keep on adventuring together?

He's a healthy Meganium now and properly EVed. :)

Back