• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do You Keep Your Starter Pokemon??

Do you keep your starter in your team??

• Yes

Votes: 449 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 90 16.7%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2011
    i normally dont last time i did was mudkip....cuz of the dual water-ground advantage only ones i did were the OGs bulba,char, squirt,
    i never kept the johtos,sinnohs, and so far unovas, (*ive only had snivy so far)

ShinyBurakki

Likes to use Dark Pulse...
    Years
  • FireRed: Squirtle.... yes.
    Yellow: Pikachu.... yes.
    Emerald: Mudkip.... Of course! I love Mudkip!
    Pearl: Piplup... I dont think so... I'll have to check... Maybe...
    SoulSilver: Totodile... Of course! I love Totodile!

And when I get White, I will pick Mijumaru. (I refuse to call it by it's English name. I hate it...) I plan on keeping the Daikenki. I'm using the time I have until April to plan my team(s).

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
    Years
  • Red = Charmander = Yep
    Yellow = Pikachu = Yep
    Gold = Cyndiquil = Yep
    Crystal = Totodile = Yep
    Leaf Green = Bulbasaur = Yep
    Emerald = Treeko = Yep
    Platinum = Piplup = Yep
    HeartGold = Cyndiquil = Yep
    Every single time.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    I usually keep my starter. I'd feel bad if I didn't. I definitely keep my starter if I have Infernape or Charizard though, no questions asked.

Ciaran

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I do sometimes, if i completed the game a couple hundred times, i eventually get bored and do it. Replace it with a Pidgey or something xD

vudw

Nocturnal Insomnia
    Years
  • I tend to keep my starter on my team, at least until the league is defeated and I clear the main story. In occasions like Soul Silver though, where I can't defeat Red, I often train other Pokemon (though not necessarily for any specific battles).

I no longer have Quilava on my team, but he helped me beat the Champion. I don't feel any obligation to use him all the time anymore, as I love dark types, but I can't ever just leave him behind. (though, trading him to someone I feel will take care of him is another option)

Years
  • There was only one time, and one time ever I recall ditching my starter (though I might have to ditch it for the next challenge I do) and that was when I was having fun making a team of favorites in Crystal Version using gameshark and I quickly swapped out Totodile for Charmander. Take that rival >:

I guess I keep it because its really the only Pokemon with a typing in the beginning of the game that isn't normal, flying, or bug and by the time there is more options it is usually leveled pretty well.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    I do, just so I'll have a balanced team...

in my HG/SS, if I start with Totadile, I end up being a water trainer
    Feraligatr
    Gyaradoes
    Lugia
    Lapras

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
  • I always keep it in my team at all times until at least after the main part of the story (elite four, badges, etc.). It would just feel wrong not to.

Bwazzam

*explosion noise*
    Years
  • Pffft, no.

I used Chikorita, and replaced it with...something, soon after it evolved into whatever it evolves into. I most likely would have restarted, but there was probably a reason I didn't. I haven't touched Heartgold in 435294302942 years.

Anyway, on my game, I use Gengar, Dragonite, and Arcanine. :3

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2011
    I (for sentimental reasons) could never get rid of my Totodile!^_^ I always get a laugh out of watching it spaz out. *Lolz* But that's just me.:)

kaiser32

Rhymin' and Stealin' ~
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2013
    I mainly used totodile for about half of the in game, up until the red Gyrados. I dumped it and used Gyrados as my watertype. It worked so well lol.

beca

◔_____◔
    Years
  • Sometimes. I rarely stick to a permanent team - I try to base my team around countering my opponent xD if I don't know who is in their team, I take a guess from a big selection of Pokemon =]

Back