• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you like the PokeTransfer in B/W?

pokegirlsam

Pokemon Breeder and Trainer <3
Years
  • How do you poketransfer in Pokemon black and white? Ive got 2 dsi's and one has heart gold the other one pokemon white and i really want to get my pokemon from heart gold to white.

Lateon

The Eon Follower
    Years
  • How do you poketransfer in Pokemon black and white? Ive got 2 dsi's and one has heart gold the other one pokemon white and i really want to get my pokemon from heart gold to white.

Talk to the man in this house on Route 15 after beating the main game:

Do you like the PokeTransfer in B/W?

Follow the directions.

Phototoxin

Lord of Darkness
    Years
  • I think it sucks to be honest. Keeping the whole thing 'internal' (must use new pokes) sucks a lot. Sometimes you just want a bulbasaur or whatever and you can't have one until AFTER the main game.

I can see one side to it - stopping people trading over uber pokes from the get-go and crushing through the game - but if they do that it's only their own game/fun they're *wasting*.

Additionally the lack of items is annoying... I save masterballs and tms. Essentially they're forcing a 'hard reset' with the exception of the pokes themselves.
    But then why a mini game? I would like to be able to transfer a box at a time over or something. It wouldn't be hard and it wouldn't be as time consuming.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Meh, it's okay. :\ I still wish we could just transfer them without having to do a stupid mini-game. :< Also, I now have to transfer the Jirachis I cloned on Emerald from Soul Silver and then to Black. :<

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • Why didn't they bring back the Time Capsule? That was one of the smartest this Game Freak has ever done. I think everyone would have praised them for doing so if they actually did.

It's pretty bad to be honest with not being able to take items and how frustrating it is. At least it doesn't have a six Pokemon a day limit I suppose.

Years
  • This is way better than the Pal Park, that's for sure. Each session lasted about 20 seconds for me. It felt like it took longer for the game to save. I really don't care about the HMs, but the item thing is terrible. Pikachu isn't even usable without the Light Ball. Oh well, that's not gonna stop me! xD

I'll probably just use my AR to grab a quick Light Ball. That's understandable, right? Come on, Pikachu's too awesome.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I actually like this better than Pal Park. Pal Park was annoying if you were trying to migrate legendaries. It took a while.

Howlsinn

Mysterious Trainer
    Years
  • Its allright I guess. I mean it does have some problems, like you can't send of items and what not. But i don't really mind about that, I just want my Ditto so I can breed Zorua!

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2011
    Anyone else peeved at PokeTransfer?

There's another thread on here about how you are only allowed to have 4 numbers in your storage box names. It got me thinking about other incredibly annoying issues I have with this otherwise great game.

What's probably the most annoying? I don't have two DS's. Yeah. If you know how the PokeTransfer works, you know people with one DS are screwed.

What would be so hard about using the GTS for PokeTransfers? Pick the Pokemon you want, assign some unique number or password to it, and download them through Gen V games with that same password via GTS. Boom! Problem solved.

Are there any other ways to get Pokemon from Gen IV to Pokemon Black/White?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    There's another thread on here about how you are only allowed to have 4 numbers in your storage box names. It got me thinking about other incredibly annoying issues I have with this otherwise great game.

What's probably the most annoying? I don't have two DS's. Yeah. If you know how the PokeTransfer works, you know people with one DS are screwed.

What would be so hard about using the GTS for PokeTransfers? Pick the Pokemon you want, assign some unique number or password to it, and download them through Gen V games with that same password via GTS. Boom! Problem solved.

Are there any other ways to get Pokemon from Gen IV to Pokemon Black/White?

Merged with the discussion thread, since it's more a annoyance rather than a simple question.

I haven't tried the pokeshifter and I can't... due to only one DS. D;

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2011

Merged with the discussion thread, since it's more a annoyance rather than a simple question.

I haven't tried the pokeshifter and I can't... due to only one DS. D;
    Ah, thank you. This was the very next thread I saw after I created the one you merged.

I still don't see why Game Freak wasn't smart enough to program transfers over GTS. Perhaps emulation can fix it in time.

Sasuke.

Hope | Less
    Years
  • Pokeshifter is nice in the sense that you can import as much as you want with no time limit. Annoying because you need two DS's, but I don't see any other way it could have been done.

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • I actually just tried the Pokeshifter today! c:
    It isn't too bad, a neat little mini game to differ from the old Pal Park style. I find it refreshing and a much better idea! :D
    ...But still gets on my nerves a bit. ._.;; I wouldn't of caught Celebii and would of ran out of time if it wasn't for that sleep thingy...

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013

How would you solve the issue of having a password long enough to be unique whilst also being memorable enough so that people don't forget it? The volume of transfers being done through such a system would likely be immense.

Even assigning a short string of random alphanumeric characters poses the risk that people may forget their code, leaving their Pokémon in limbo. You would also have to be wary of people trying to enter random alphanumeric strings in themselves on the off-chance that they manage to claim someone else's Pokémon.

The GTS has already been open to a lot of abuse in the past. Adding such a radical feature to it now only gives more avenues to explore in exploiting the system.

Last edited:

Soviet Russia

The Chosen Nub
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    Overall, I dislike this function. The thought was good but the follow-through from Game Freak wasn't executed well. I don't know if it's an issue for anyone else but I never catch my pokemon in time or at all.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2011
    How would you solve the issue of having a password long enough to be unique whilst also being memorable enough so that people don't forget it? The volume of transfers being done through such a system would likely be immense.

Even assigning a short string of random alphanumeric characters poses the risk that people may forget their code, leaving their Pokémon in limbo. You would also have to be wary of people trying to enter random alphanumeric strings in themselves on the off-chance that they manage to claim someone else's Pokémon.

The GTS has already been open to a lot of abuse in the past. Adding such a radical feature to it now only gives more avenues to explore in exploiting the system.
    I guess you're right. They could have easily, though, set up a website (they already did it with the Dream World) so we could "upload" our Pokemon to our website under our own account and then transfer them to Black and White.

Believe me. Much more creative ways could have been done rather than require that we buy an extra DS. I think it's safe to say that most (but not all) players only have one DS.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Since I'm really only getting Black/White for the new Pokemon, I'm probably going to play the game, beat Cynthia, Morimoto, find the Sages, then start over

PokeTransfer?
    C Gear?
    they are collecting dust in my games

CrowSama

Too. Much. Caffine.
    Years
  • I like it, but I was confused and a little p-o'ed when I first found out about the little mini-game (mainly because neither of the DS systems I was using had a stylus on them, and I left my Snivy stylus at home) so I was just randomly shooting pokeballs. I cought all of the pokemon I attempted to transfer.

The biggest difficulty is that they don't allow any pokemon with HM moves to come over. Recently I decided I wanted to egg move some pokemon, and I had to delete half the movesets of my Salemence and Gyarados (Yes, I made them my HM freaks). I was kinda sad about Salemence, because I really haven't used him since Ruby Version (ah the crappy old days) but whatever. I'm over it.

Wait? Whats that Game Freak/Nintendo? I need two DS's? (One friend with DS moved second DS friend broke it) NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO-----

Woobat

Koromori
    Years
  • I like that they let us transfer our 4th generation Pokemon to B/W, but I wish they would let us just transfer them instead of making us play a mini game, like the Relocator. Sometimes it's really difficult to catch the Pokemon, too.

Back