• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you perpetuate your parent's beliefs?

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2024
    Nope. I used to follow whatever my parents said because I didn't have any other sources of information. After I hit middle school (probably a bit late but considering I went to a private Catholic school until 5th grade, I think it's perfectly justified), I started forming my own opinions on things.

About the only thing my dad and I have in common with our beliefs is that we're somewhat flexible in our leanings. To some extent.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    Nope. I just came out of the atheist closet to the 'rents. But I wouldn't tell Grandma because she'd spend her waning days convinced her grandson was going to burn for eternity in a magical fire land.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    In terms of religion, I mostly do, for one reason only.

You take that first step, everything fits. It makes sense. Even the unexplained makes a degree of sense. I've checked and weighed what I believe against any odd concept or differing opinion aimed in my general direction. What's wrong or mis-conceptualized, I discard and study out. What's right gets righter.

In terms of politics and others, it's slightly less straightforward, although much of it does fall in place through the root faith.

On another subject, I find it interesting that many posters left Catholicism for some manner of atheism. I wonder if there's something in particular there in the Catholic system that brings that about.

Cooker

As free as my hair
    Years
    Well, for religion my mom is Catholic and my dad's *technically* a Methodist though he just kinda goes wherever. And I go to my mom's and dad's churches each and I haven't really noticed a difference in the beliefs (though my dad's church doesn't mind criticizing other forms of Christianity =P), though in reality I'm not even that religious in the first so I guess I sort of take after them both but to a lesser degree?

I happen to fall under the same political party as my parents but for slightly varying reasons. The main differences are that they don't support gay marriage and I am strongly against abortions, though vice versa isn't very true, at least on my part. Actually, my dad is like super opposed to gays and gay marriage, and I support it I guess- land of the free, you know.

I guess they've influenced me to a degree, but I've sort of sprouted my own ideas off of their roots?

Akula

Capitalist Shark
    Years
    My views are different on many things, but my main views are the same as my mother's.
    Her and I are Republicans, though we have split views on sexuality - I'm fine with all types while she only likes heterosexuality.
    We both believe in the same religion, though she's more religious than I am.
    We read the same literature, though she doesn't like Science Fiction as much as I do.
    I'm very calm and serious whilst she's very lively and fun...
    And she's not as technologically influenced as I am, though she has the latest tech when it comes to iPods, phones, and other miscellaneous things.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    I was born and raised in a Protestant home, though I had no idea I was actually Protestant until like five years ago. My parents tried taking me to church all the time, but they were far too busy. As a result, I have a lot of morals that stem from my religion, but along the way I began to question the existence of God and became agnostic.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
    I kinda keep some of my parents views on various topics.
    I differ in religion a bit, as I don't believe in it, where as my family is more like, if you live your life the best you can god shouldn't have a problem.
    Politics, I don't hold a political stance, I don't care what happens to the country, I'm just along for the ride.

Gilgαmesh

To be honest, I don't carry any of my parent's view on things, at all. Other than the life lessons they keep lecturing me about that they're obviously not going to stop, I can't picture myself following anything else that they believe in. In the end, it's my life and my beliefs and whatnot. Instead of following my parents, I want to follow myself. My own religion was myself, despite several members of my family(both immediate and external) being Christian.

I'm more of a person to take the mistakes that my parents made, and made sure not to make those mistakes again when I become an adult.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    No because they never actually had any firm beliefs. They always sat on the sidelines on most topics or parroted the popular view without fully understanding the situation, sometimes even poking fun at certain people who actually did have beliefs without even educating themselves first. I noticed this from an early age and therefore never saw my parents as good role models.

Yes, I believe in what my parents do... to some extent.

Like my parents, I believe that the whole "going green" thing is a big overexaggeration. Like my mom, I'm a Protestant Christian. Like my parents, I believe that our current president stinks.

Unlike my parents, I believe that chickens are some of the smartest, bravest animals on Earth. After all, my chickens were smart enough to know where to go, where not to go, where the food is, who to follow, who to avoid, what to eat, what not to eat, which shelf to perch on, which shelf to avoid pooping on, and where to lay their eggs. XD AND they chase my dog and defend/protect each other. One time, one of my chickens attacked the delivery man and many of them have attacked my dad to defend the injured hens.
    But that's not really a belief, so it doesn't count. XD

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    I've kinda held on to what I know from them.... But now i've learned that I shouldn't just approve of what my parents are into, ya know? Because, say if they both disagree on something, well, maybe in the long run they're both wrong, and they just can't see that yet. ... Ya know what i'm saying? I'm pretty sure as far as religion goes, we're different. And political debates, i'm just gonna leave out. There's far too much to consider to just pick a "side". But I think I have gained somethings though. Though you always have to take the time to stand back from everyone's ideals (including your own) and think about right and wrong.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    I actually don't know what my mom and dad believe in these days. My mom mainly because she will just agree with us to keep us happy and sane. My dad because I haven't seen him in years. However, I bet that I do have different belief's and ideals than they do, because my ideals and beliefs are different from all my siblings.

I believe in the Wiccan Rede( An it harm none, do what ye will.) So, I am very liberal. People should be able to do whatever they please so long as it doesn't harm or affect the lives of others in major ways. Yeah, everyone should help each other, but that is a long way off from happening, should it ever. To a certain extent, I also believe in The Law of Threefold Return. That is, whatever you do will come back to you, three times the greater. I don't necersarrily believe in the "three times the greater" bit, but I do believe that they way you treat others, and what you do, is what will be done right back to you. Not the same exact way, but if you are nice, good things will happen, if you are mean.. bad things.

I also am EXTREMELY against violence, any situation could be talked through. I don't see many people who believe that. I would use violence as a last resort only. To protect those I care about. Which goes into another point, I couldn't care less what people do or say about me. I only care if they do bad things to the people that I care about.

My parents have never been religious people. The only times I've gone to church is with friends, or of my own accord(i.e. youth group) nothing more, nothing less. But, I would probably not agree with my parents religion. If you haven't discovered, I believe in Wicca.

I love to help people, and will do so at any detriment to my own life. I don't hold grudges, and hate no one. As for my parents, I can't vouch for them. I try to make amends, although that doesn't always work out; it tends to be mostly the people that I've had the quarrel with who refuse to settle.

Anyway....

Anthraxinsoup

Professional Vidya Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    No and yes. Odinism from dad=Yes. Alot of other things from both=no.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I do not follow any of my parents beliefs, maybe in the past I may have but now I carry my own set of beliefs and views which vary vastly from my parents. I've told Mom I'm Atheist and she's fine with it(she's Agnostic) but I'm unsure of Dad, he may be religious but he doesn't necessarily show it if at all. I'd never want to be anything like my parents at all, sadly.

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    I guess I'm lucky since my parents raised me, for the most part, without any political or religious beliefs. ^_^
    In name, I'm Jewish, but my family leans more to the atheist/agnostic side...except for my brother.
    My parents are middle-of-the-road in politics; while they voted for Obama in the last election, their previous voting patterns could even be considered conservative (one of the main reasons my parents voted for Obama was due to Sarah Palin).

Junes

showers of sunlight's divine
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2011
    Severed those ties long ago.

In fact, my father and I got in a heated debate over regulation of the education system this morning. We see politics and government through two completely different perspectives. Churchill said it best: "If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain."

Kasumichan

Banned
    Years
    Their views aren't the most logical to me and I disagree all the time, but I have certainly been influenced by their views.

Years
    I grew up with my parents' beliefs, but when I got older and had a mind of my own I began to question them, and have basically formed my own opinions on things. I respect their beliefs fully and would never ask them to change, but on several things we no longer share the same views.

Rainy Day

Perfect Weather
    Years
    My parents are Moderate Conservative Christians and I am a Moderate Liberal Atheist.

We're almost the polar opposite as far as ideology goes.

Back