• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Do you think FR/LG beat the classics?

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I wasn't really that fond of RBY, but I really like FRLG.

So yeah, I do think they beat the classics.

Syphr

Happy to meet new people ^^
    Years
    The people saying RBYG were better than FR/LG are the same ones who will/are saying that GSC owned HG/SS.

I personally enjoyed FR/LG more than RBYG. They were basically the same game, except for crappy sprites and bitty music. FR/LG is an upgraded version.

.Busou Kihaku.

私は神で取る!
    Years
    The people saying RBYG were better than FR/LG are the same ones who will/are saying that GSC owned HG/SS.

I personally enjoyed FR/LG more than RBYG. They were basically the same game, except for crappy sprites and bitty music. FR/LG is an upgraded version.
    That's different, ofcourse Heart Gold will be better then a 90' ies game.
    Fire Red just sucked.

Years
    • ?
    • Seen Aug 16, 2014
    No. LG/FR were awesome - I really enjoyed travelling through Kanto again, now with better graphics and revamped music -, but RBY is unbeatable. I can still remember most of my 1st Red playthrough when I was 7/8 years old (being unable to complete Lavender Tower because my bag was full, accidentally Master Balling Snorlax, losing to Gary repeatedly, and finding (to my surprise) the very last untouched Rare Candy of the game hidden deep at the Power Plant, which allowed me to multiply them with Missingno...).
    That's something FR/LG cant beat.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2010
    Simple additions like running shoes was a big push to FR/LG. Nostalgia is good and all, but new and improved was better for me.

Swimmer Ryan

Training Water Types Since '99
    Years
    Fire Red is how should I say it, uhhhhh crap. I hate people who rely on nostalgia as much as the next person, so I ain't gonna rely on it.

To me Fire Red was a big disappointment, the tiles were ugly the colors were pretty ugly is well, only the Pokemon sprites seemed well done. most of it was kinda crap, i know it's a remake of the originals but try to make it nice. In Fire Red it seemed like all these new features had were introduced in Ruby and none of it was used. Instead you got Red with ugly colors and tiles.

This is just my opinion but Fire Red and Leaf Green are by far the worst Pokemon games, to me it's such a big gap between it's not even comparable. Fire Red had like absolutely nothing special about it, other than introducing those crap islands.

FRLG were great games and by all means exceeded the originals. I think the only reason people hate FRLG is because of nostalgia

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024

FRLG were great games and by all means exceeded the originals. I think the only reason people hate FRLG is because of nostalgia

Not necessarily. Glitches and other fun stuff could help too.

But for me, two words: Running Shoes. Two more words: Vs. Seeker. Two more words: updated sprites. Two final words: competitive battling. Need I say more?

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    No, no, no, no, no, no.

Sorry, I love the remakes, but no game remake will ever EVER live up to the original.

Let me put it to you like this;

If I made an "NEW SUPER BOWL" with brand new rules where it was "cooler" than the other, would it still live up to the history that the original had? I'm not even that big of a football fan, and I would find that offensive. I love the remakes, don't get me wrong, but it's just that I don't think they are better than the originals.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
    1. I hated the sevi islands.
    2. I hated that it took longer to get mewtwo
    3. It annoyed me that there were so many event pokemont hat were hard to get.
    4. 1st generation was best.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Sure it did , It was a lot better than RBY .

Sevii Islands were OK , but the graphics were impresive , and the game was simply awesome !

extramaster

Pokemon Diamond master
    Years
    Well it depends on how you see it... If you call heart gold/soul silver "the classics" then of course the classics would be better... Otherwise, Fr/Lg will definitely dominate the old gameboy colo(u)r games :D

Years
    I personally believe that Fire Red/Leaf Green does beat the original games, if only because there is a continuing plot after the Elite Four. I personally loved playing the original games, but when a new, updated version does exactly what the originals did (and more), it's hard not to say that the 3rd Gen games beat the originals.

Jubedube

Another Charizard fanboy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2010
    Call me tasteless, but I find the simplicity of Red and Blue/Green much more appealing. It was back when you could use brute force and completely murder people.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    Dare i say Wireless communcators?
    easier mystery gifting/trading/battles,i remember all the double battles me and my friends had when we would get out of school...

RBY were fun but after you beat it... it was pointless unless you did the lv100 wild pokemon glitch, or the missingno glitch(s)

LoneStarAkira

This place is cooler already!
    Years
    I'd have to say that I think that they did beat the classics, but probably not as well as they could've. The graphics were cute and clean (I found RSE's a bit messy), and the music was remixed well, not to mention the extra areas and whatnot.

It could've still been better, though. I feel that they were incredibly lazy in the new areas like the Islands. They didn't even bother to touch up the Johto sprites, and the locations themselves seemed so rushed and boring. Even though I feel like it beat the classics, the classic still had that touch to it that a remake couldn't replace. Same goes to HGSS.

Years
    I personally believe that Fire Red/Leaf Green does beat the original games, if only because there is a continuing plot after the Elite Four. I personally loved playing the original games, but when a new, updated version does exactly what the originals did (and more), it's hard not to say that the 3rd Gen games beat the originals.

Agreed. The Sevii Islands, Vs. Seeker, and Running Shoes are almost enough to cancel out nostalgia and Missingno, so the games are about equal to me.

Back