• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Do You think that the pokemon on the older versions look weird?

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    Do You think that the pokemon on the older versions look weird? I mean they were their first creations but they look random...

Years
    All generation seem to have a fair share of weird sprites.

Some of the D/P sprites sizes are proportionally wrong like Seviper. That Pokemon seemed to have gotten much bigger between the 3rd and 4th generation.

For the RSE sprites, some of the Kanto Pokemon looked weird like Wartortle. I don't have a problem with the FR/LG sprites because they did a better job with the Kanto Pokemon.

For the second generation sprites, in Gold and Silver, some of the Pokemon had the wrong colors. Houndour was mostly red instead of black. Sneasel was brown. o_o

However those colors were fixed when Crystal came around.

Finally, the first generation sprite were the worst of the bunch. Specially, the ones from Green Version and the American Red and Blue version.

Green Version Venusaur:

Do You think that the pokemon on the older versions look weird?

Looks weird because it is getting crushed by its own weight.

R/B Version Blastoise:

Blastoise is extremely fat.

R/B Version Pikachu:

Pikachu is short, fat, and uncute. Yellow version made a much better Pikachu sprite.

R/B Version Pidgeotto:

Again, another Pokemon that looks fat.

R/B Version Golbat:

Put your tongue back in your mouth. You look ridiculous.

R/B Version Machoke:

Machoke's muscles look deformed and unnatural.

R/B Version Gastly:

Gastly was most likely made in Microsoft Paint. Looks like someone from GameFreak was having fun with the Airbrush tool when they drew Gastly.

R/B Version Exeggcute:

One of the eggs is extremely bigger than the other ones. Someone is not right here.

R/B Version Exeggutor:

*facepalms*

R/B Version Eevee:

Eevee looks like an alien in the picture.

That's some of the sprites I felt looked weird from those versions. However, this one takes the cake as the worst sprite ever:

Tumor Mew for the lose.

Mr. Pokemon

Still rockin' the DS Phat
    Years
    Here are the sprites msdfabio mentioned:

All generation seem to have a fair share of weird sprites.

Some of the D/P sprites sizes are proportionally wrong like Seviper. That Pokemon seemed to have gotten much bigger between the 3rd and 4th generation.

Seviper (RS):

Seviper (DP)

It looks like they just made the sprite bigger but then again, comparing it to other sprites, it is a bit large.

For the RSE sprites, some of the Kanto Pokemon looked weird like Wartortle. I don't have a problem with the FR/LG sprites because they did a better job with the Kanto Pokemon.

Wartortle (RS):

Wartortle (FRLG):

Is Wartortle high in RS? He doesn't look much better in DP personally. Its best sprite is definitely from FRLG.

EDIT: I just realized that he changed colors. In RS he's blue and in FRLG he's more of a purple color.

For the second generation sprites, in Gold and Silver, some of the Pokemon had the wrong colors. Houndour was mostly red instead of black. Sneasel was brown. o_o
    Houndour (Crystal):

Houndour (GS):

Sneasel (Crystal):

Sneasel (GS):

How'd they go that wrong with the Sneasel sprite? It's hilarious!

Making this post made me realize that Serebii should disable his stupid JavaScript code (good thing I can turn it off myself with Firefox).

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    I think they ruined many sprites in the new games. There are many good sprites in the new games, but not the same variation as it was before.

This Pokemon is a ghost gas Pokemon and that is exactly what the sprite is showing us.

The gas around it looks good, it's thicker, but where did that cannon ball come from? Or is a meteor? When did this Pokemon become a ghost gas ball Pokemon? From Pikachuu Version, but I still don't like it. The old one looks more realistic, too.

I like this sprite very much. A black ghost that tried to scare you. Yes, it looks like a ghost.

What is this? I wonder if there really are any black Pokemon anymore; I mean even Darkurai is grey! This sprite does not look like a ghost, because it looks more . . . physical. And it's not scary either.

This is from yellow version.

His wings are shrinking more and more for each game. Why?

None of these look very good. The new one has better eyes (while the old one has played too much video games) and the old Golbat has better teeth. The blue version's wings are somewhat better, or at least they would if there was more room for them. The new one lacks the tongue. So, I think the old sprite is better than the new. I mean, encountering a large bat with a drooling tongue, how cool isn't that? The new one is too boring.

Years
    To me, the worst sprite of all time is the Pokemon Green Mew. It just has that annoying lump on his head. Since they used the same backsprites for Green till Yellow... I always seriously thought as a kid that Mew had a lump behind his head.
    When I saw that Exeggcute sprite at first galnce I thought it was a Chansey... but then I look closer... o.O

Nashton

A Trainer Of Great Skill.
    Years
    you do have to understand the fact that the game and show are made by two totally diffrent orgainizations: gamefreak and im not sure about the show

aswell, the game came out before the show... so if you think about it, the weird deformed pokemon are the TRUE forms and we are just used to seeing ash's slim pikachu rather than that fat R/B pikachu. lol

but then the two organizations most likely decied to work togeather so that kid some fat kid (==> https://funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/7340/Best+Friends+Forever/link) won't be like " That's not how pikachu looks in the show, i watch it every day on 'KidsWB'!"

so the games after R/B are all deforms lol!!

Mr. Pokemon

Still rockin' the DS Phat
    Years
    you do have to understand the fact that the game and show are made by two totally diffrent orgainizations: gamefreak and im not sure about the show

aswell, the game came out before the show... so if you think about it, the weird deformed pokemon are the TRUE forms and we are just used to seeing ash's slim pikachu rather than that fat R/B pikachu. lol

but then the two organizations most likely decied to work togeather so that kid some fat kid (==> https://funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/7340/Best+Friends+Forever/link) won't be like " That's not how pikachu looks in the show, i watch it every day on 'KidsWB'!"

Wha...? I get the gist of what you're saying (the reason the sprites and anime designs of the Pokemon look different is because they are made by different companies). But basically, the reason why the sprites in RBYG look weird because,

1. They're the first games, they haven't quite figured out the designs yet I'm guessing.
    2. The technology wasn't as advanced as it is now. That's why the DPP sprites for example look amazing compared to the very early sprites (but you can argue that the original sprites are better because of nostalgia and that's what you remember from being a kid. I have no problem with that, I like looking back to the days of when I started playing Pokemon Gold).

Nashton

Years
    Wha...? I get the gist of what you're saying (the reason the sprites and anime designs of the Pokemon look different is because they are made by different companies). But basically, the reason why the sprites in RBYG look weird because,

1. They're the first games, they haven't quite figured out the designs yet I'm guessing.
    2. The technology wasn't as advanced as it is now. That's why the DPP sprites for example look amazing compared to the very early sprites (but you can argue that the original sprites are better because of nostalgia and that's what you remember from being a kid. I have no problem with that, I like looking back to the days of when I started playing Pokemon Gold).

i guess that im since i misplace my pearl recently and i was replaying red(i remember i got it on my birthday), yellow(i stole yellow from a kid at recess XD) and gold(and bought this with birthday money) i came up with that argument. but i still stand by my point. but i do understand that they were, more then likely, experimenting with sprits, due to the fact that yellow was much more clean and softer looking then R/B versions. but its the same with all 3set games like yellow, crystal, emerald and now platium.

Last edited:

.Iramet

Banned
    Years
    The only reason someone may think that the graphics looked weird is because time is moving forward and graphics are evolving so of course back in the day the graphics aren't gonna be as good as what we have now.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    i guess that im since i misplace my pearl recently and i was replaying red(i remember i got it on my birthday), yellow(i stole yellow from a kid at recess XD) and gold(and bought this with birthday money) i came up with that argument. but i still stand by my point. but i do understand that they were, more then likely, experimenting with sprits, due to the fact that yellow was much more clean and softer looking then R/B versions. but its the same with all 3set games like yellow, crystal, emerald and now platium.

lol does the kid you stole the pkmn yellow game from know it was you lol

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA! that has got to be THE funniest first post I've ever seen!

I agree that they look hilarious, but charizard pwns and still does

Years
    i like the diamond and pearl one
    but has any one seen what the have done to salamence
    when i battle with it the only thing i can see is its neck!

Maria Santos

*wink* enjoy your death! ^_^
    Years
    Theif wasnt in yellow version. >_<

I always thought that the Gyarados sprite from red and blue looked awesome compared with the all other gyarado sprites, excluding the diamond/pearl one. that one looked awesome :P

Infamous Amos

ALL BIDOOF IN MY WAY WILL FALL
    Years
    Accually very true, but not for the reasons you have stated... In the American version of the games, the graphics were altered.

Original Pokemon Green Pijon sprite:

Pokemon R/B American Pidgeotto sprite:

Original Green Pikachu Sprite:

Pokemon R/B American Pikachu Sprite:

so if you think about it, the weird deformed pokemon are the TRUE forms and we are just used to seeing ash's slim pikachu rather than that fat R/B pikachu. lol
    I think it is more likely that the Game Graphic Artists deviated from the concept art.

The Lizardon in this picture (the official game art) does not look like the game sprite at all:

Pokemon Green Lizardon Sprite:

And all this was even before the anime.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Bad sprites run rampant in Red and Blue; the percentage of poor sprites has lowered significantly, but sprites being sprites, there will always be some odd looking ones.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    You know, chubbiness isn't ugliness. Especially when you're working with animals that have a tendency to look fat.
    I honestly think the Pikachus back then looked a lot better, considering they humanized Pikachu in the newer generations.

Nashton

Years
    lol does the kid you stole the pkmn yellow game from know it was you lol

im not sure
    i was in 3rd grade at the time i think
    and during recess they had 2nd and 3rd out at the same time
    and i think it was a 2nd grader so i guess he never knew lmao
    to him it must fell out ot disappeared
    he just lefted it on the ground and i just took it out of his gameboy haha!!
    good times goooood times...

xoBoxxy

Off the Wall
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Ohio
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    This is actually the only reason I don't play blue, red, and yellow xP

The sprites scare me actually.

Back