• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Do you think the Gym leaders are too easy this generation?

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    Honestly, a thought came to me after I won the last Gym - They are too much of a pushover this generation.

I remembered Whitney in GSC/ HGSS, which was such a pain (Miltank, anyone?)
    In DPPt, Fantina was very hard for me.

I keep thinking very hard on how to fight against them but... Whilst I don't have Pokemon strong against certain types in this generation's Gyms, I can easily overcome their power - It also seems that our Pokemon are growing too easily, which is causing the problem too.

What's your thought for those whom have completed the Gyms, or already beaten a few?

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Eh, the gym leader battles have never been very difficult for me. They're really only ever a problem if you're under-leveled, and with the Exp. Share being available so early, it makes it that much easier.

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2013
    I agree. During my playthrough I hardly had any trouble with the Gyms, posed very little threat to my team. Even the Elite 4 and the Champion were quite easy to beat, albeit some difficultly when facing Dragon types.

Either they're definitely weaker than previous leaders (oh I remember Miltank alright) or it's a combination of things that are added to X and Y. E.g, the change in EXP share, and the fact I got a water/grass/fire pokemon early on. (Not by trading mind you).

Yambo

Power Seeker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2019
    Not the gym leaders that are weak to be honest ive beaten them easily but thats because my pokemon was over lvld due to the exp share and me not rotating much in my team.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
    Years
    Honestly the only gym that's given me any trouble, so far I only have three badges, was the first. I only had a Spewpa and Froakie at that point.

Years
    i think that it depends!!
    A friend of mine found difficult even the first Gym leader because he didn't have a pokemon type suitable to win him..and it took hom 1 hour to defeat him..
    Me,on the other hand,i was able to defeat the first 2 gym leaders almost easily because my pokemon were close to gym pokemon levels and had the right types..
    so,if your pokemon are on the same level of the gym pokemon you win guite easily..if not you have to try 1-2 times to defeat them...

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    The only gym that gave me trouble was the Electric one, mainly because most of my party were Water of part-flying. :(

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    The main problem with the Gyms is the small teams - means they don't have much diversity for dual types.

I've trashed most of the Gym Leaders. Only one that has messed up my clean sweep so far:

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2020
    I have 6 badges so far, all of them we really easy. My Pokemon were always at a higher level thanks to the Exp. Share. My team levels are from 50-52 and I haven't done any grinding at all.

Years
    The gyms are easier in this one. I've not been KO'd in any of these gyms and I can think of at least one gym in previous gens where I've been KO'd at least once.

Whitney...Clair, even, was always a major pain for me.

And the Elite Four and Champ in this, I beat in one try and only three faints and that was me not bothering much.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
    Yeah gyms are a bit too easy, sarge. But I'm still finding X and Y to be a bit more challenging than Gen 5. I'm not gonna lie, I struggled in that one cave with all those ****ing wobbeffets that love to use destiny bond. Well parts were challenging until I was able to use Mega Evolution.

Weird

Lazy Guy
    Years
    if you just turn off that broken exp-share then the levels of our enemies are quiete a bit ahead of you, actually. I was around 10 levels below what most people wrote after the 6th gym. The problem is that the gym leaders dont use enough dual types, which actually resist a weakness of their type. It's too easy to just wipe them out with a single pokemon, imo

I.T.

The Pokémon Cartel
    Years
    Yes and no, you'll find them challenging if you turn the option to change your PKMN before the Gym Leader sends out his next one. Before I battle a Gym Leader, I ALWAYS turn that option off (even though I only have one gym badge ??????)

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    Yes and no, you'll find them challenging if you turn the option to change your PKMN before the Gym Leader sends out his next one. Before I battle a Gym Leader, I ALWAYS turn that option off (even though I only have one gym badge ������)

I didn't know you could do that o.o

Faye Rose~

Resilient
    Years
    I've already beaten the main story and yeah.. the gym leaders (and e4 + champ) were all pitifully easy. I personally think it's because the new exp share is broken because it had all my pokemon anywhere from 5-10 levels above the level curve and I was skipping a lot of trainers too. I had an absol that went from level 15-55 without actually fighting in a single battle.

Hatsuharu

☆ princess of despair ☆
    Years
    While I've only faced one gym so far, it was fairly easy- sure Infestation sure gave me a little bit of trouble, but not a single one of my Pokemon went down in that gym and I only used one potion.

However, it's a bit too soon for me to say for sure since I haven't really fought enough leaders to make a solid opinion, but with the OP EXP share and the quick leveling that comes with it, I'd say X and Y are going a bit too easy on us.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
    Well, i think the gym battles are ok, not too easy and not too hard.
    It actually all depends on how much you over-level your pokemon

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
    This Option is available since the very, very first Pokémon games, lol.

To answer the Thread, I think the Gym Leaders are easy-ish okay.
    Actually, the Elite 4 was easier, and the Champion was just a breeze.

Back