• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do you think you owe society anything.?

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
    Years
    Do I owe society anything? Absolutely not and anyone who try's to tell me otherwise is having an absolute giraffe.

Now that I made myself sound like a complete jerk, allow me to explain. Society in general, and the human race in general, I owe absolutely nothing. I didn't ask to be born in this generation on this planet, I was kind of forced into it. Not that I would trade existence for anything, if that was possible, I like existing its pretty sweet.
    There are people I do owe however. And its quite a lengthy list. I owe some caveman for inventing fire. I owe Thomas Edison for improving the light bulb. (He didn't actually invent it, but he made it last much longer.) I owe Bill Gates for founding windows, without which I wouldn't be using my computer right now. I owe every cow/chicken/pig i've ever eaten, I owe every tree to ever produce oxygen. The list goes on and on.

Should I have to contribute to the benefit of Society? No. Should I at least show my gratitude and appreciation to the people who actually deserve it? Absolutely, and this isn't to say I won't contribute to society. I try and entertain people when I can, but I am in no way doing so because I feel like I have to. I do so because I can.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    I don't see myself as being indebted to society, so no, I don't think I "owe" anything to anyone.

I take advantage of free healthcare and almost free education every day and I travel on roads paid for by the state, but on the other hand, I (like millions of other people) pay my taxes, I use private services and as such I keep them afloat, and I believe in giving back to the community and people who need it.

I'd say it's a pretty balanced relationship.

Years
    We all owe people in some way, like Jonas Saulk for developing the Polio vaccine, Einstein, Pasteur, Newton. Darwin, etc., for their work furthering science, stuff like that. Realize that a lot people have done a lot of things for everybody else, and be appreciative, give back and help out in some way yourself or you should at least realize that we only got to where we are because of individual contributions to the whole. Like I alluded to earlier, ask your grandparents or great-grandparents if they feel indebted to somebody like Saulk or the Red Cross, Hospitals, etc., for curing Polio for them, lol.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    its a give and take process that lasts only until a governmental collapse.
    in time all things shall fall to ruin, everyone will fade away as our dust breaths life into the earth which in turn sustains plants which will sustain other plants or animals
    our copses feed various small critters and sustains their lives until they are eaten and help sustain what ever ate them's life.
    regardless, human's don't need society in order to live. anyone can just go & transverse the land, killing animals they find & sustaining their lives off of them.
    or they can just leech off the system via stealing from shops.
    homeless guys have been known to do that from time to time because of the shelters not letting them in and they'd rather be in jail then in -32°F/-0°C weather.

ElCabron

Su Cabronito!
    Years
    That's a very complicated question. It can lead to so many interpretations it's hard to answer. I prefer to believe I don't have any debts with the society I live in, but I also believe I do (?)!
    avoiding da answer

Back