• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use free layouts?

Do you use free layouts?

• Yes, they are professional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, because of technical problems

• No, because they does not allow editing the layout

• No, they have invalid [X]HTML

• Total voters

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Do you go to other Pokemon fansites and download their free layouts and use it on your site? Do you violate the Term of Use of their site? Do you prefer layouts made by yourself?

I don't use free layouts, because:

• They have [X]HTML errors
    • I must edit the layout to make it work on my site
    • They require crediting/link back

Please vote on this poll, and discuss: Are free layouts useful?

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    I think they're useful to learn coding without a webpage editor, as it makes it easier to see how the code influenced the way the page is laid out. However, with knowledge of coding myself, I never use them, as they contain too many errors, or too precise measurements to even be adjusted, and then you have to link back to the site, just too much of a hassle when I can make them myself.

Alpha de Splash

DPPtHGSS Researcher
    Years
    i agree with Ooka on that one, it is better to learn your own code. i only use layouts as a reference. "let me try to make this layout on my own." it develops great skill and you can make your own layouts and call them your own.

MalafeX

Typhlosion #1 fan
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    No, I like to make my own layouts. I feel better about my webpages, when I know I made them.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    we have a collection of some 6,000 'premade' open source layouts (all valid html/css).. we use some of them for a starting point to generate some client sites (usually its based on THEIR likes and we edit to their specific needs)

for my own sites I tend to design and code my own (although for some, like drupal and wordpress, I use premade and edit the heck out of them) layouts and so forth..

Both ways has it's place in the webby world.. premades for speed and ease of deployment, and hand coded for customizations and uniqueness.

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
    Years
    I used to use premades a lot and do nothing to them.
    But now I either make my own, or as Steve said, I edit them reeeealll good.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    It is hard to make layouts in WordPress, phpBB, VBulletin and other major Web apps... Too much files and too much learning curve.
    I used a theme generator and edited the generated theme.

It is somewhat unprofessional if others know you are using someone else's layout..

Back