• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Documentation on the RPG Maker Xp map format?

pokemonmasteraaron

The blind Pokémon Master!
Years
  • Does anybody know where I can find information on the rmxp map file format for editting in a hex editor?
    I was curious, because I am blind and cannot map using the graphical map interface but if I could perhaps create an editor or simply make the maps in binary. So, does anybody know if such documentation exists?

Years
  • Well, for starters you can load maps using:

Code:
    map = load_data(filename)

If I do remember correctly the map's tile data is stored in the Table: data

Code:
    map.data[x position, y position, layer 0 being the lowest and 2 being the highest] = tile id

You could then save the data like this:

Code:
    save_data(filename, map)

so a complete code would be like this:

Code:
    filename = "Data/Map001.rxdata"
    map = load_data(filename)
    map.data[0,1,2] = 384
    save_data(filename, map)

Anyways, this is the easiest way you could possibly edit your map's data without the editor.

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    rxdata is stored in Ruby's Marshal format. Unfortunately, you need to know what all the class/module definitions are before you can open it.
    I've found this google code project that opens most of the files, but is missing some info for map data specifically :( I'll post here again if I can get it working.

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Hey there, I did make some progress with this; I was looking into converting the data for Pokengine before I left that project.

I have a thread here: https://pokengine.org/phorums/?viewthread=1741 that might be useful to you - one of the components of my importer is a Ruby script that converts the Marshal data to the more readable YAML. The rest is python scripting to convert the maps to Pokengine format.

Good luck!

Back