• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does some Ecchi turn you off of a good anime?

Sector

Banned
Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Yes it does. That's why it should only stay with those that are purely comedy and have no storyline behind the series. Otherwise, keep that stuff hidden in clothes and quit putting the camera under their skirts -_- Which I hate! :\

I prefer getting into the storyline and learning the characters and taking interest in what the show is about. I mean some Ecchi is alright, but I prefer it to be very minimal! To much would be a boring, un-interest Anime. That's why I love Heroic Age and a few others like Shakuga no Shana & the Fate series so much, it's perfect because there are ZERO Ecchi involved! xD

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Why not?

Sure, it may have things you may not like in it, but what's stopping something that has any of that in it from having pure gold comedy? A deep storyline? Or anything else along those lines..?

I have never seen it, but judging a full anime based off of one thing you don't like about it seems a little shallow if you ask me.
    This.
    Anime needs to have storyline and not random and boring one.
    Most of ecchi has either no or totally random storyline.

Years
  • Hmm I don't mind it much....

But it can be awkward when you watch anime and then there is ecchi and your parents come in... yes...

I remember watching bokura ga ita and then there was that scene XD I hoped no one came in the room

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    HOTD had a good storyline? I guess if you class a generic American Zombie survival films as good storyline then maybe. I always thought the main draw to that series was the boobs, then the action, then the music and then perhaps the dorama. Is it bad that my favourite bit about the series was Rei getting slapped?

Yeah I think after watching the walking dead, I think a plot with zombies can go a long way. In the beginning I was thinking there is only so much you can do with zombies but they are making it happen.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Thats the great thing with generics though. Give them even a little bit more thought, and you can do pretty much anything with it.

Anyway, I'm more of a 'blow a lot of **** up' kind of guy so thats what I lean towards, but if it has some ecchi in it then its just that much better imo.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I'll watch a good anime, regardless of the ecchi. (`・ω・´)ゞ

Eternal Darkness

Master of Tartarus
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2012
    Depends if they focus more on panty shots than the plot itself.

Also, when I saw this thread in the most recent post thing, it said "Does some Ecchi turn you off", which I will admit, brought me here to see why anyone would ask that.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Ohhhhhhhhh, all that stuff has an official name? I guess, thinking about it, that makes sense. After all, there is a reason why anime has its reputation amongst those who haven't seen any of it.

Unless it's used in a tasteful way - or in a parodic way, as in FLCL - then, yeah, ecchi really does turn me off. There's showcasing anatomy and then there's just going too far. Although I'll be the first to admit that I'm a prude when it comes to stuff like this...

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • No, it doesn't turn me off actually.
    Its an unneeded feature, mostly seen in shows that are in a desperation attempt, or where made for the reason to show off a little bit.
    Anime like Bakemonogatari, Soul Eater, Welcome to the NHK, or Gurren Lagann have elements of ecchiness or fan service in them. Either as comedy elements, to show off a kind of character, or even to move the plot forward.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    When I was a wee lad I had no problem with it. In fact, I probably rejoiced in it, haha.

But in my years I've matured somewhat and so now on the odd occasion that I do watch anime, I must question the purpose of excessive ecchi. A bit here and there is fine (often it has a comedic purpose), but when it is the main focus of the series, that's usually an indicator that the series isn't good at all and thus not even worth watching.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • I did watch quite some ecchi animes and here are my analysis:

-No I do not get turned off as long as they satisfy their purpose.

-You cannot say Ecchi animes are "bad" or "lacking", their purpose is NOT PLOT, but rather....ecchi, period. So, when rating these animes, it depends on fan-service. HOWEVER, I must say, an ecchi with linear story can be bland, I do lose interest sometimes.

-Some Ecchi ..are really good O_O. I can't believe I would say this but some of them impressed me more than the normal animes I watch. Have you seen Sora No Otoshimono? If not, then why are you still alive D: ?
    It is literary the funniest thing I have watched in my life. The way they utilizes the ecchi factor is amazing. And it DOES have a story, but most of it is extremely dense loads of LOLs. I burst into tears when I watch it. I also started watching another anime which isn't specifically ecchi, but it does include some. I think it's called Ano Natsu Matteru. What I admired about this is not only is their scenes are a little light, but also it had an impressive storyline to it, it's quite dramatic and well made.

-I stress on this idea again, when you are watching ecchi, you are confirming your main purpose is not plot! But it is evoking of lust.

My Favorite Ecchi: Sora no Otoshimono, Yuru Yuri, Strawberry Panic, To Love Ru

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
  • I don't mind Ecchi really. Though, I dropped "Kami-sama Dolls" because of it. ><
    I suppose it depends on the amount and how it's presented. Like, there are loads of Ecchi moments in Umineko (Battler's perverted-ness, stupidly giant breasts, etc) but I was able to ignore it and watch it. Meanwhile in "Kami-sama Dolls", seeming as there was a Ecchi moment in almost every episode, I lost interest >.>

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2012
    I have nothing against the occasional ecchi scene, however, I think if it's overdone it's just plain tasteless. I also wish there'd be more MALE ecchi scenes. From my anime-viewing experience all I see is far too much objectification of female characters. I know shoujo manga/anime does portray male characters as 'objects' in some instances but I see it as nowhere near as explicit or demeaning.

Kurui

Kageroza's Waifu
    Years
  • I could care less about the ecchi as long as the storyline is good. I would never be so put off by it that I'd stop watching a good series.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Don't mind a little ecchi/fanservice etc, but Highschool of the Dead really took it too far, just got really old and uninteresting very soon.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Yes it does, sweeties. It was the main reason I couldn't get into Highschool of the dead. I love zombies, but there was more fan service then actual zombie moments.

I really don't like fanservice to be honest, unless it's for a comedic effect like Dragon Ball or Hajime no Ippo.

Back