• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dub or Sub?

Which do you prefer, dubbed anime or subtitled anime?

• Dubbed

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Subtitled

Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters

John Denver

Banned
Years
  • I'm sticking with Dubbed...As long as it's un-abridged and the voices are at least decent, then I'm happy...

C'mon, how can you complain with the EXCELLENT voice actors on Cowboy bebop or Trigun. I would love to see an Anime with a voice cast done by real good professionals. Like maybe John Goodman and the Big Black guy from the Green Mile...

of course...

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
    Years
  • Yes, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop are good, and (fairly) well translated, but they're the exception that proves the rule. the vast majority of dubs are far from decent, let alone good. Look at what happened to Shaman King and Witch Hunter Robin, for example. I'm afraid of what might happen to One Piece, and eventually, Naruto. Dubs just don't do most things justice.

aaaaaa

Dakota, have you looked at the cast for Princess Mononoke?

Billy Crudup
    Claire Danes
    Minnie Driver
    Billy Bob Thornton
    Gillian Anderson
    John DeMita
    Keith David
    Jada Pinkett-Smith
    etc.

And while it was tollerable for a dub, the sub was still far surperior.

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    o_0 i don't think you can change his mind dubs are just better in my opinion

falafel

Writing fanfiction
    Years
  • Definitely subbed. I've been too traumatized by English dubs and dubs in my native country where Inuyasha is called a monster, not a half-demon. Although I have a soft spot for the dubbed version of Akazukin Chacha that was released by Cartoon Network... but that was because I watched it when I was still young and unknowledgable about the world of subbed vs. dubbed.

Also, the dubbed version of Princess Mononoke is ok, but the subbed version is much, much better.

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
    Years
  • swordkirby537 said:
    (EDIT: Why is H-E-L-L censored? Just curious.)
    Yeah I thought that was dumb too, if people wanted to discuss h-ell it would be a problem.

Anyway, my opinion depends on the anime. I liked the dubs for Trigun and Ruroui Kenshin. Right now they are probably more enjoyable for me dubbed, since I can't speak Japanese yet. However I like to hear the Japanese version, how it should be, and I like to listen for words I know. As for Pokemon, fansubbed. You don't have to ask me twice. 4Kids is lousy. They did ok with the early parts of the first season I think, and I like the movies anyway, but otherwise I hate the way they do it. Especially now a days with AG, the voices are lousy, the music, etc. I could rant on and on about why the Japanese version is better.

Years
  • I like subtitles better. I think some dubs might make the anime lose their "edge" ... (LastExile for example ... and FMA... that...is Al's voice??!!!

nicolelh11

Aelita
    Years
  • I like sub all the way. Dub is kind of all right if they have the right people to do it. But it kind of cool reading across the screen and they can't mess it up either. I getting use to sub anyway. plus I get here a new lanuage anyway.Since I lived in Japan for three years so you just begin to get use to it so my friend Marina says.

Back