• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Dumb Luck

Years
    Awhile back I was trying to chain for a shiny caterpie, and even though I was doing everything right, I couldn't get a chain past 20. On one of my chains I walked into a normal shaking patch, and the chain broke when a bidoof showed up instead of a caterpie! I was so mad, and then the sparkles showed up, and it turned out the chain broke on a random, shiny bidoof.

LOL. I guess since it was bidoof that's technically unlucky. But on the bright side, I never have to waste my time chaining bidoof. And when I checked it's IV's to find my SID it's 16/20/31/31/15/28.

Adri-chan

What the fruit?
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 28, 2012
    When I first played my Platinum game, I ran into a shiny Starly. So I caught it (this was just after I got some Pokeballs at the mart). I was happy, since it was pure dumb luck. Stupid thing was, it had a Sassy nature. What a total letdown...

Left4Dead

Are you mental in the face?
    Years
    First starly I caught on my first platinum playthrough was Adamant, Holding a Yache Berry.
    I was pretty pleased with my catch.

Exact same happened to me on my first Diamond playthrough haha although I had no idea what a Yache Berry did until I read it. (I never bother with berries during games except in GSC)

Also I played through Fire Red one time and went to catch Articuno, threw a Pokeball whilst it was still at full health and I caught it. Never had luck like that since though haha

Dirtyjerry

TJ Kitchen
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I've seen a shiny Espeon in the in the battle tower. My first shiny in d/p/pt and i couldn't catch it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2010
    I wasn't paying attention one day trying to catch the mespirt I had been chasing around. I was just throwing quick balls at everything ( boredom empties my pockets) to my suprise i threw a quick ball and paused after hearing the "epic" music that comes on during a legendary pkm fight. to my suprise as I did the ball clicked. I was like O.o Now how did that happen? The I realized I had just caught the pokemon I had spent my morning looking for.

Boohya!

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I happened to breed a shiny Squirtle on Diamond while just trying to get a Squirtle with a good nature. Blastoise is my favorite Pokemon, so I was psyched.

On Silver, I've found two shinies on a new file that I created. The thing is, it happened after my Gold died, at which point I had decided that I didn't really care about obtaining anything else rare on the first two generation games. I was just training a couple of Pokemon to use to beat Pokemon Stadium 2, since I'd lost my old Gold team, and I found two shinies (Sneasel and Mareep) within a relatively short period of time.

I also discovered (when viewing it in Gold) that my Red Version Blastoise was actually shiny, which was pretty surprising, considering that I had no way of knowing when I started the file.

Overall, I seem to have much better luck when I'm not hoping for it. I've found several shinies on new files that I don't care that much about only a couple of hours into the game, yet most of my main files take over 200 hours before I encounter a shiny, and on many of them, I've never encountered a shiny at all.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I was going through the Victory Road, and I noticed a regular (non-shiny) Steelix. I was suprised, so i tried to catch it. I failed, and said to myself "the next Steelix I find I am going to catch." The next Steelix just happened to be shiny! xD

I also traded a Poliwhirl (not holding any items) for a Glameow on the GTS, and the Glameow I got was shiny. :D

RHCP

||Sweetie Belle~
    Years
    In Diamomd, I've caught a Shiny Buneary in Eterna Forest, and later on found a Shiny Snover, just before Snowpoint City!

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    I've had a bit of dumb luck in the games. Mainly with Shinies though.

On the way to Snowpoint City, I found a Shiny Golbat in Mt. Coronet. I was happy, since cave shinies are somewhat rare.

I was trying to chain for a shiny on Route 201, and ran into a doduo. Usually you need at least 40 chains to have a decent shiny find, but I found a shiny doduo as the second Pokemon in the chain.

Those were some good times. : D

Gamefreaked

Evil Genius
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2010
    Ive on every pokemon game so far got at least got one shiny legendary on the first encounter, meaning no Save Resetting. Creepy really, but I kinda hated it. Shiny legendaries look like crap for the most part.

Years
    Never found a shiny yet ]= I never knew what chaining was before, though, so I'mma try that. I ran into 4 Chanseys in a row once, though...aren't those kinda rare? I NEVER caught them, those mofos are hard to catch =/

Back