• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

During what Generation did you start playing/liking Pokemon

During what Generation did you start playing/liking Pokemon

• Generation I (Red, Blue, and Yellow era)

Votes: 105 70.9%
  • Generation II (Gold, Silver, and Crystal era)

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • Generation III (Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald era)

Votes: 16 10.8%
  • Generation IV (Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum era)

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Generation V (Black and White era)(I won't play/like Pokemon until B&W are out)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I don't like/watch Pokemon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Years
    I first played my brothers pokemon red in 1998, when i broke his gameboy :/, but i then got pokemon yellow in 1999 and loved it ever since then so that makes me a generation 1 person.

Years
    I was lent LeafGreen from my brother but I didn't really get into it but when I heard Diamond etc was coming out I got them and began to play Pokemon. I'm now getting the GBA Pokemon games and going back onto them whenever I see them for sale as in Britain you can them fairly cheaply. I think that I'm one of the rare people that actually started during the 4th Gen.

Years
    Well, I have two answers. I got into pokemon right at the beginning, and played all the way through Blue. Then I set the series aside, never intending to get back into it.

Then last year, I picked up Diamond, and thought that it captured the pokemon spirit perfectly. It totally got me BACK into the series. And since Gen IV gets no love, that's what I voted.

Years
    Red was my first pokemon game ever. I got it for my sixth birthday, which was in 2001. I loved it!!!!!! So....... I guess i got stated with generation 1.

DanTheMan12345

Pokemon Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2010
    My first game in Pokemon was Pokemon Pearl. Now I lost Pearl, have Platinum, PMD Sky, and HeartGold. I'm going to get Black when it comes out.

My brother started to play first on Red. Then, he moved on the plain Silver. After that, he played on Platinum, Pearl, and PMD Sky. I found a way to play Pokemon Gold/Silver without downloads, so I'm moving DOWN a Generation!

Last edited:

Kaminari

Future Pokemon Master ✗✗
    Years
    I liked Pokemon since the original. I was kinda young to remember when it very first came out but I remember watching it. (Most of my childhood is a blur with some selective pleasant and unpleasant memories).
    My first game though was Gold in 3rd grade. I had to use my communion money to buy a GBA and a game. My parents wouldn't get me a GBC. ;_;
    At the store I saw G/S so I bought Gold even though I was planning on buying Yellow.
    That's why I love Johto a lot cuz it was my first game. The new Johto pokemon I didn't think were bad at all and I loved I could still go to Kanto.
    I played R/B/Y later and love them. Still do. They're so addicting. xD The music is the best.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2022
    Generation I. I started with the anime and then I got a GameBoy Color and a copy of Pokémon Blue. That's how I got hooked...

Solodomo

Psychic Trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2012
    My first was Yellow and I used to watch my brothers play red and blue, then i got crystal after they got gold and silver, then sapphire, emerald, diamond, platinum and soon to come black. so i guess you can say im one of the original pokemon fans.

Lightey

The Night Owl
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2016
    Well, I was 1 when Pokemon came out in the U.S. But, I was three when gen 2 came out, and my older cousin liked it, and showed me about it. Then I got Crystal and became obsessed. So Generation 2.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2023
    I think when ruby and saphire were out, i got gold version. It wasnt for another 3 years until i got emerald when it came out as my first 3rd gen game.

Translucent

You just gestured to all of me
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2011
    1st gen. ! faithfully watching all marathons and episodes of pokémon. xD I don't anymore, though. D; I just buy up all the games and play Red, Crystal and Blue incessantly. sadly, I lost Gold, Yellow, and Silver. D;

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I agree that as each new generation comes out, things get boring. How many reiterations of Pidgey and Rattata do we need?

Back