• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Easy to pass trainers

JaggedMan

The Cheese Pokemon!
    Years
    Okay, have you noticed how easy it is to pass trainers so they don't see you. I mean what was nintendo thinking. You can just pass a trainer without getting noticed. Any comment?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    It was smart to design the game that way. It lets you play it how you want, not how the game does.

Some people want to battle them all (I do), and some wouldn't. Better to give the player a choice and not ostracize those that don't like it.

Years
    I think that avoiding trainers can be helpful at times. Although I think it's best to battle all trainers to gain the most exp points, it's nice to have the freedom to choose if and/or when you want to battle a certain trainer. If a person only has 1 pokemon left and does not want to battle a trainer and possibly white out, this allows trainers to avoid battling other trainers. On the other hand, a pokemon is already at a very high level that battling trainers and leveling up causes it to disobey the trainer, it might be better to avoid the trainers until the trainer has enough badges for the desired pokemon level.

Other than that, I think it's usually good to just battle trainers instead of trying to avoid them.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2009
    Okay, have you noticed how easy it is to pass trainers so they don't see you. I mean what was nintendo thinking. You can just pass a trainer without getting noticed. Any comment?

I believe any game has to attain some degree of difficulty.

Redstar said:
    It was smart to design the game that way. It lets you play it how you want, not how the game does.

Although I do agree with you, in certain areas I like how they don't allow you to pass a certain town or gym leader without first meeting some requirements. In this case battling other Pokémon trainers.

Hitokage2 said:
    Although I think it's best to battle all trainers to gain the most exp points

Exactly. You could say, it's in your best interest.

In all my experience I feel as if each new generation of Pokémon games are making it easier to be able to dodge Pokémon trainers. Back in the first generation, there'd be fleet after fleet of trainers you just couldn't dodge. I actually liked this, as it proved to be quite the fun challenge!

Last edited:

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Although I do agree with you, in certain areas I like how they don't allow you to pass a certain town or gym leader without first meeting some requirements. In this case battling other Pokémon trainers.

This.

Being able to skip trainers on routes and in caves etc is ok, because at times it can grow tiresome and you need the option to avoid them. Eg: RBY's Routes 11, 12 and 13 between Lavender and Fuschia have almost 30 trainers to battle, if you had no choice but to battle them all your Pokémon wouldn't last the journey.

But in Gyms I agree, I think there should be a requiem met in Gyms whereby you have to battle the trainers and leader inside. I'm not as fussed about being able to battle other Gyms first as that gives a degree of choice and freedom, but when you enter a Gym to try and win a badge it should be compulsory to battle everyone inside.

Years
    If the OP's gripe is with the sheer impracticality of the situation - i.e. passing right by a trainer without being noticed - it should be said that in later games if one is running or using a Bicycle then a trainer that looks in more than one direction will more often than not turn as you pass.

However, I agree with others that the trainers are avoidable for a reason - it's simply not practical for the game to expect players to battle every single trainer in the game (though of course many, myself included, do attempt to), especially if you're struggling to get yourself to a Pokémon Centre.

Years
    I think it's okay if there are some trainers that you can easily get passed, it gives you a bit more freedom I guess in the game, But in Gym's I find it very silly how you can just walk past some of the trainers in th Gym.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I like the ability to dodge most trainers. In caves or routes that I just don't feel like dealing with right away, I'll usually zoom through and only fight the required trainers, and then go back to fight the others later on. :B I do battle every trainer but sometimes you just don't feel like doing it right away and I'm glad you have the option.

[also moved this to General PKMN Gaming since it encompasses all gens, not just metal]

In all my experience I feel as if each new generation of Pokémon games are making it easier to be able to dodge Pokémon trainers. Back in the first generation, there'd be fleet after fleet of trainers you just couldn't dodge. I actually liked this, as it proved to be quite the fun challenge!

Regards,
    The Pokémon Professor
    Yeah but if you dodge all the trainers in the beginning and through the core of the game, you end up near the E4 and you have hours of grinding to get Pokemon at a high enough level to challenge the league. It's a fair trade-off, imo.

Years
    I try to battle every trainer I see because they give out more experience than wild Pokemon do. Plus, most of them are really weak and if I really need to go to a Pokemon Center, I would just go back to the previous town in the opposite direction so I don't have to worry about dodging trainers.

JaggedMan

The Cheese Pokemon!
    Years
    Usually I battle them eventually to get money or boost exp. Or I happen to be a dork and pass the trainer once and then come back around and walk right in front of them. I like to miss them at times when I have weak pokemon.

Ayselipera

I like being able to pass through easily.
    Especially when I need to get somewhere
    and I dont have the HM Fly yet.

hourai

それは私が痛い
    Years
    If theres an emergency and you should go to a nearest pokèmon center you must avoid trainers :P like what I am doin when I was young playing Blue Version in a Gameboy Color

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    I never dodge the trainers, it's a waste of exp points. I think you should be able to dodge them but not disable it altogether ;)

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2009
    Yeah but if you dodge all the trainers in the beginning and through the core of the game, you end up near the E4 and you have hours of grinding to get Pokemon at a high enough level to challenge the league.

I agree with you? All I stated was that imo I feel the ability to dodge Pokémon trainers becomes more and more easy as each generation passes.

Randurro

スペースをとるこ? ??
    Years
    If your out of healing item and your Pokemon are all close to fainting it's helpful to avoid trainers. Though it would probably just make more sense to come back the way you came. I never really paid attention to how easy it was to avoid trainers because I try to get all the exp. I can.

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
    It's not really a bad thing.

Sometimes you just want to get to the next town, and you don't want to have to battle the fleet of trainers on the way.

Personally I try to fight them all, but sometimes you just don't want to.

I think, in some situations, it's a good thing.

zZRaoto

rawr?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2010
    I don't really mind it. I found myself skipping trainers plenty of times to come back and train a weaker Pokemon. I agree that it does give players more "freedom" in the game and it can suit how they wish to play.

If I had a Lv.20 Pokemon, I wouldn't want to be wasting time battling Lv.8 Pokemon; I would come back later and battle them with a Pokemon that needs the experience.

Back