• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Eevee, why didn't you evolve?! Why?

fy@x5

~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I find it strange that when you give an Eevee an elemental stone as a hold item it won't evolve. I thought there was radiation in the stones...?

Marcy_11

Metapod is hot
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2008
    You dont give the evee the stone you click use and use it on the evee o.O

fy@x5

~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Yes... I know. But what I'm saying is that it's POSSIBLE to give it the stone without it evolving.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    What's up DSB! Well, aboiut eevee, I never understood that myself. Stones IMO should be hold items that work when you level up at full friendship, like the moon shard and sun shard in PKMN XD. "use" the stone? What do I have to do, make eevee eat it? I agree, the eevee evo techniques are awful strange.

Years
    I have a question about this...

When you allow Pokemon that evolve via stones to "hold" the evolution stones, will they evolve?

If not, my theory is that evolution stones aren't hold items. You actually have to give the Pokemon the stone. If they can be used as hold items, then Eevee's evolution is pretty messed up.

I don't really use stones that often so I don't know these kinds of things.

fy@x5

~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I have a question about this...

When you allow Pokemon that evolve via stones to "hold" the evolution stones, will they evolve?

If not, my theory is that evolution stones aren't hold items. You actually have to give the Pokemon the stone. If they can be used as hold items, then Eevee's evolution is pretty messed up.

I don't really use stones that often so I don't know these kinds of things.

The thing is it that they are hold items as well as use items. O_o

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    I always assumed it was because they were holding the stone, but didn't want to evolve. On the other hand, when you use a stone on a Pokemon (Eevee in this case) it'd want to evolve. And just holding the stone wouldn't mean it was used, just being held.

I guess you could think of it like this. If you held a syringe of steroids but didn't inject them, they'd have no effect. But if you used the syringe, then the steroids would have effect.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Eevee will evolve if you give it milk and cookies. And I will evolve into a maneating beast when given cookies.

Maybe it only evolves when the trainer wants it to.
    The stone will be in effect when the trainer wants it to be.
    And the only time that will be is that when you use it, not give it.

At least, thats wut I thought...

Years
    My explaination is that its a game. Of course if I were making the next Pokemon I'd 'fix' this discrepancy, I mean if you give it to them to hold, its pretty clear what you actually meant to do. I'd cut the "omg why didn't eevee evolve?" threads on GameFAQs.

Myoko-chan

アーシェ
    Years
    Also if you get it wet it will turn into a Gremlin because Eevee looks a bit like a Gizmo!

LOL Gremlins, I love that movie.

Anyways, how did they do in the anime? I think they just gave it to them...yes this is strange indeed. But then again, this is aimed at children, so nobody would probaly care.

Years
    The thing is it that they are hold items as well as use items. O_o

A lot of items can be held, probably just for trading's sake. You can hold a potion or an antidote, but a Pokemon won't use it, because the Pokemon doesn't know how to use it. Think of it that way.

fy@x5

~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    A lot of items can be held, probably just for trading's sake. You can hold a potion or an antidote, but a Pokemon won't use it, because the Pokemon doesn't know how to use it. Think of it that way.

Yes, but the pokedex says that it's the radiation from the stones. Which means it should work anyway if you give it a stone. "May mutate if exposed to radiation through elemental stones".

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Remember that mini movie that came before the second Pokémon movie? In it, a group of Exeggcute happened to be jumping around next to a Leaf stone and, lo and behold, they evolved into Exeggutor.

So it's not some weird condition about the trainer wanting to evolve or the Pokémon wanting to evolve. If it was, then the Exeggcute would have had to have noticed the stone and gone from there. But the fact that it did not realize it was there, nor did it have a trainer to make it evolve, shows that it does in fact work by either touching the stone or being near enough for the stone to take effect.

Therefore, the fact that Pokémon don't evolve while holding an elemental stone just shows...that the creators of the game didn't give that aspect much thought. XD;

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    It's called 'game mechanics': evolution stones were in it from the beginning, but held items were introduced in G/S/C; who in the name of all that is sweet and sugary would bother to reprogram a fully functioning evolution system because "a random flavor text was worded in a way that would make this a bit more correct"? Let's try a bit of rationality here, people. -.- You can feel however you want about it and come up with any number of silly excuses for why it ain't so, but I really don't see the point with it. Picking on game mechanics is just so...old. It's just the old Surf/Fly/HotWailordOnSkittyAction argument all over again. xP

Last edited:
    Back