• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Effects of Music

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    I listen to music very regularly, and not much of it is very clean. But I didn't think it would mean much, as long as I didn't let it control me. Now, my R.E. teacher's telling me that music can affect you in bad ways. He also says it causes addiction if listened to regularly. Another R.E. teacher said it intoxicates the mind. What are your views on music?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I think this goes in OE? Oh well.

I think music is a very important aspect of life, no matter what kind. Without music the world would literally sound black and white. But just without Rock the teen population would be decreased by 95%. :P

Years
    As a teenager I listened to lots of heavy metal and violent music. Yet I did not turn out a violent person. I still listen to rock and rap and still remain nonviolent. They say music (and TV and video games) can make people think and act certain ways, but in myself I've never found that to be true. I can separate fantasy and reality and don't feel the need to "act out" what I see and hear. Not to say it NEVER has those kinds of influences on anyone. Just saying it didn't on me.

DrawnVigilance

7861 Blackthorne
    Years
    Read my sig and that says it all
    I think music is a nescessity in everyones life, it helps you express yourself
    if your speaking as in if it affects you, im sure it does but i think thats only if you let it

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    I think that it changes people in different ways. Sometimes, it is very subtle, other times, it is very obvious. But it does get very addictive, doesn't it?

Lash

Years
    I would DIE without music. Music has had a major influence on me, especially when it comes to becoming a guitarist.

The only "negative" effect that I say isn't bad at all that involves music is school. My grades would probably be a little higher, but as I always say, music > things parents complain about XD

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    None of you guys are psychologists or sociologists, so I don't think you can give a valid opinion.

That isn't the point. It is what you think of how music affects people. You don't have to be a psychologist to figure it out. Just give your opinion.

I would DIE without music. Music has had a major influence on me, especially when it comes to becoming a guitarist.

The only "negative" effect that I say isn't bad at all that involves music is school. My grades would probably be a little higher, but as I always say, music > things parents complain about XD

So true. I couldn't really get along without music, but I think that is what my problem is. I mean, many people are now addicted to music while working, exercising or doing practically anything. It kinda worries me that I'm so addicted to it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2009
    None of you guys are psychologists or sociologists, so I don't think you can give a valid opinion.

A fallacious and pretentious argument if I ever heard one.

I listen to music very regularly, and not much of it is very clean. But I didn't think it would mean much, as long as I didn't let it control me. Now, my R.E. teacher's telling me that music can affect you in bad ways. He also says it causes addiction if listened to regularly. Another R.E. teacher said it intoxicates the mind. What are your views on music?

That view of your teacher's is ridiculous.

As to whether or not music should be "clean": Morality has nothing to do with art, which is not in a separate ontological category from life itself. Every good story has tension, which is usually caused by a "bad guy" doing something immoral. So if you want to take every hint of immorality out of life, well, you'd be taking something very important away from all of us.

Vie

Years
    I love it...makes me calm down and think about stuff without freaking out...also cheers me up...but it can also make me sad. :'( depens on the song I listen to.

DrawnVigilance

7861 Blackthorne
    Years
    i heard the most ridiculous thing ever last night
    i had to go to court(dont get the wrong impression)
    my parents are fighting over custody over me, and my mom seriously asked the judge if he could ban me from listening to metal music? i was like WTF? seriously?
    of course the judge also thought this was ridiculous stating that it allows me to express mysefl how i want, (so just another opinion by someone)

emoBill™

† мазохист †
    Years
    Meh, all of the teachers in R.E. try to steer me away from listening to music. Because it's 'evil' and all. One of my friends even got reprimanded for listening to something un-Christian while driving up to a game. It was like Akon or something.

Music controls my life anyway, so yeah *shrug*

I love music, and I only listen to the stuff that I really like. And look how I turned out! xP

So yeah, music = <3

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
    that does not make any sense. how would you ban yourself to not to listen to...heavy metal...? (its the morning, so i f(l)ail at making sense xD)

Music is a part of life. That much is natural. I play a bit of guitar, LOVE playing rock band with my friends when we're all together, and when we're all jammin out to The Strokes on Reptilia, we become closer friends. The views of your teacher are completely lopsided and irrational, so don't listen to them!

SamuraiMaster

and his son, Layne (Buizel).
    Years
    Music is my life man.

Especially when it comes to (Take a wild guess) Metal.
    If I am in a crappy mood I usually turn metal on. It always seems to calm me.
    Especially one song by Metallica, "Fade to Black." That song has always calmed me no matter what mood I am in.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I love listening to music. ^^ It makes me relax, especially on a calm, sunny day.

However, I'm not obsessed with it. x.x

CrazyCubone

isn't very crazy.
    Years
    I don't think music effects people's behavior in most cases. Once, I was visiting my Granny in her nursing home, and I was wearing a My Chemical Romance hoody, and and old man who used to be a priest said to my mother, while pointing at me, "You know what that leads to, don't you? Work of the devil, that is." And my mother's reply was "If that's the path she chooses to live, it's her choice". My mother's so cool. :P

Penguin13

Mountain Dew, Elixir of Life.
    Years
    Um, (pseudo-)scientists have studied this topic extensively. I'm pretty sure they've come up with a pretty solid conclusion about how music affects the brain. Anything else is just an exception or a lie.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Music is my life. If i did not have music i could not be able to express my self and all. Oh and metal or rap or whatever does not have side effects. Except maybe your friends fearing you cause you are always wispering lyrics that are questionable. But yeah i cannot live without music. I didnt go to school one day till 3rd hour cause i couldnt find my WM.

Back