• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald: Calling all sprite masters for small help.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2018
    So I want to put Red in pkmn emerald. I have him on the bridge instead of steven in route 120. I changed the sprite id to 230 which is Red and for some reason his colors are off and he has a blue hat! Why is this happening?

Also, I wanted to make mossdeep space center double battle with Steven being with Red. Is it possible to do this? Bc I think the palette is tied with the front sprite so the colors would be in Stevens colors even if I switched his back sprite, am I correct in this?

Last question. Can I make a code that changes overworld spites? Like in sootopolis the old man blocking the path would be red at first but after the legendary fight its the old man again. Would this work?

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Ugh - PC deleted my post because I had a YT link and haven't made five posts yet :(

Anyways I'll try my best to answer your questions!

1. The palette is probably off. Sounds like the sprite at 230 is using a palette that makes Red's colors off and his hat blue! Check the palette - if not then the sprite probably rendered weirdly when you put it in the game.

2. Yes ofc! There's a way to do so. I found a YouTube video that perfectly explained this - was going to link it but I don't have link capabilities yet. ROM Hacking Central has a video on this exact topic - with a custom backsprite in the thumbnail even! Sorry I can't link it :(

3. Technically you can, but it would be a hell of a lot easier to just make a flag/var that enables one sprite before it's set and another afterward! If you use a variable you could technically make multiple values - one for whenever Red should be present, one for when there is nobody, and one for the old man. A flag ofc would just allow two options. Just make sure to reference the change in variables in all necessary places in your scripts and sprites in AdvanceMap!

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2018
    Ugh - PC deleted my post because I had a YT link and haven't made five posts yet :(

Anyways I'll try my best to answer your questions!

1. The palette is probably off. Sounds like the sprite at 230 is using a palette that makes Red's colors off and his hat blue! Check the palette - if not then the sprite probably rendered weirdly when you put it in the game.

2. Yes ofc! There's a way to do so. I found a YouTube video that perfectly explained this - was going to link it but I don't have link capabilities yet. ROM Hacking Central has a video on this exact topic - with a custom backsprite in the thumbnail even! Sorry I can't link it :(

3. Technically you can, but it would be a hell of a lot easier to just make a flag/var that enables one sprite before it's set and another afterward! If you use a variable you could technically make multiple values - one for whenever Red should be present, one for when there is nobody, and one for the old man. A flag ofc would just allow two options. Just make sure to reference the change in variables in all necessary places in your scripts and sprites in AdvanceMap!

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Hey! So with no 1, I tried this on anothe rmap and it rendered ok. But putting it on that map it is off. So weird. Any idea?

With #2 I actually have been trying the last 2 days to learn how to index and insert a sprite. All I got was a blue screen of death in the rom. Ill make a new post looking for indexed sprites.

On #3 youre practically speaking spanish I have no idea how to code that haha

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Hey! So with no 1, I tried this on anothe rmap and it rendered ok. But putting it on that map it is off. So weird. Any idea?

With #2 I actually have been trying the last 2 days to learn how to index and insert a sprite. All I got was a blue screen of death in the rom. Ill make a new post looking for indexed sprites.

On #3 youre practically speaking spanish I have no idea how to code that haha

On #1 - oh, that makes sense!

There are only two dynamic palette slots - if you are using more than that on a single screen then some of your custom sprites will default to other palettes.

Tutorial #24 in this video series directly addresses this:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369646

For #3, if you have an hour of free time I highly recommend watching tutorials 7-11 on the same link. They cover pretty much all of the important stuff regarding the code in ROM hacking - it's soooo much simpler than any other code language! If you have any questions, I'm sure I or others in the community could help as well!

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2018
    On #1 - oh, that makes sense!

There are only two dynamic palette slots - if you are using more than that on a single screen then some of your custom sprites will default to other palettes.

Tutorial #24 in this video series directly addresses this:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369646

For #3, if you have an hour of free time I highly recommend watching tutorials 7-11 on the same link. They cover pretty much all of the important stuff regarding the code in ROM hacking - it's soooo much simpler than any other code language! If you have any questions, I'm sure I or others in the community could help as well!

I saw his post earlier this week! Well I got stumped so I just erased the kecleon and it worked lol. The steven script still runs the battle so it kinda works lol. I managed to change Steven to Red in mossdeep except that dang back sprute and his trainer name! I even went into the hex editor and changed his pokemon too. Ugh thanks so much man. I may give up on the sootopolis one and focus on this mossdeep problem.

Back