• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Audio] Emerald Custom Music Insertion

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2020
    I am currently trying to insert custom made music into Pokemon Emerald, but I am running into a bit of a problem when I import the midi into sappy. Only the first 2 tracks of the song are playing, regardless what voice group I am using. I also tested the music in FireRed, with a voice group that fits a bit better, but I am only getting 3 tracks running at a time with none of the instruments correct. The midi track also sounds perfectly fine in Anvil Studio. Does anyone have any ideas of how to go about adding the custom music into the game or what might be causing the error in playback?

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2020
    It sounds like the instruments you have tracks set to in your midi don't correspond to Pokemon Emerald's instruments. What I mean by this is that you could have an instrument set to use Electric Piano 1, which is instrument number 4 (counting 0), however instrument 4 in Pokemon Emerald is a square wave 2, for example. There isn't necessarily anything creating any sort of major error, you just need to change the instruments used by the tracks so that they align with the ones used in Emerald.

There's a post in research and development titled "a document on fire red voice groups and the instruments they play" that has a database of all the voice groups in Pokemon Fire Red, which includes the offset of each voice group as well as the name and number of the instrument (note that the voice group offsets probably aren't the same for Emerald). If you really wanted to insert your song into Emerald, then you could rip the voice groups from the game using a program called GBA mus ripper. Using it, you can get a sound font (sf2) for a particular voice group used in Emerald (or any other game that uses the sappy sound engine). You can then open the soundfont in a program called Viena to be able to listen to the samples in the voice group. Additionally, you can open midis in Viena, allowing you to listen to how your song will sound prior to compiling the midi in sappy. You need to know the offset of the voice group you want to rip to use GBA mus ripper. You can obtain this from sappy by double clicking on the hex number next to "Voices", which will open a dialogue where you can copy the offset. (By the way, if you do end up using GBA mus ripper, you need to use the "sound_font_ripper" executable in particular, I just didn't refer to it as such for simplicity)

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2020
    It sounds like the instruments you have tracks set to in your midi don't correspond to Pokemon Emerald's instruments. What I mean by this is that you could have an instrument set to use Electric Piano 1, which is instrument number 4 (counting 0), however instrument 4 in Pokemon Emerald is a square wave 2, for example. There isn't necessarily anything creating any sort of major error, you just need to change the instruments used by the tracks so that they align with the ones used in Emerald.

There's a post in research and development titled "a document on fire red voice groups and the instruments they play" that has a database of all the voice groups in Pokemon Fire Red, which includes the offset of each voice group as well as the name and number of the instrument (note that the voice group offsets probably aren't the same for Emerald). If you really wanted to insert your song into Emerald, then you could rip the voice groups from the game using a program called GBA mus ripper. Using it, you can get a sound font (sf2) for a particular voice group used in Emerald (or any other game that uses the sappy sound engine). You can then open the soundfont in a program called Viena to be able to listen to the samples in the voice group. Additionally, you can open midis in Viena, allowing you to listen to how your song will sound prior to compiling the midi in sappy. You need to know the offset of the voice group you want to rip to use GBA mus ripper. You can obtain this from sappy by double clicking on the hex number next to "Voices", which will open a dialogue where you can copy the offset. (By the way, if you do end up using GBA mus ripper, you need to use the "sound_font_ripper" executable in particular, I just didn't refer to it as such for simplicity)

Back