• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Emerald Trading Problems... Grrr...

Hippo

Cookie MOnster
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2007
    So yeah... I have Pokemon Emerald, and i was really excited because it has the battle towers and all.
    I got some help with pokemon for my team and stuff, but the game won't let me trade over the guys i want. (Charmeleon and Gastly to egg them). The FAQ says i need the national dex, and to get it I need to beat the E4. The whole point of my team was to be the team I would use from day 1 (well like 20 now) but use that team to train along the path to get to the E4. Is there ANY way to get old pokemon to Emerald? I could trade them into Sapphire no problem. (My brother's game, he does have 8 badges though) and he hasn't beaten the E4, why do i need to beat them in Emerald?

I really need some help, this wrecks my dream team i had set up... Any way to get those pokemon over without beating the E4?

And if not, would someone help me plan out a team for the game? So far i have Milotic for sure, but then i don't know who else to use. I have a Koffing that would be kinda cool, and maybe my Blaziken, but i'd really prefer the pokemon from the previous game.
    Help please!

LG_Rocket_FL

Eeveelution Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2007
    You need the national dex, and the firered or leafgreen that you're trading from needs to have the national dex and have completed the network machine.

Hippo

Cookie MOnster
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2007
    You need the national dex, and the firered or leafgreen that you're trading from needs to have the national dex and have completed the network machine.

I have the National Dex in LG, but not in Emerald -.-
    I just read an article that said the only downfall in Emerald is that you can't trade pokemon around without the national dex, which you have to beat the E4 for.
    Are there any Gameshark or AR cheats to get it? I'm not a big cheat fan, but its pretty dumb that you can't just trade pokemon, you can in Ruby/Sapphire, just not emerald, and i want to play emerald because theres more to do after the E4.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Don't cheat. No one likes a cheater. If you have Pokemon Colosseum, Emerald has no trading limitation with it. You can trade ANY Pokes from Colosseum to Emerald without needing the National Pokedex.

If you cannot do that, play Ruby or Sapphire with your team and then trade them to Emerald after the W5.

Hippo

Cookie MOnster
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2007
    Don't cheat. No one likes a cheater. If you have Pokemon Colosseum, Emerald has no trading limitation with it. You can trade ANY Pokes from Colosseum to Emerald without needing the National Pokedex.

If you cannot do that, play Ruby or Sapphire with your team and then trade them to Emerald after the W5.

I don't like cheaters either, but its not really cheating, especially if i can do it with Pokemon Colosseum and its a dumb limitation on the game. What platform is it for? And what other games can it play and stuff? (Like the one for N64 had all sorts of mini games and stuff).
    I was thinking about doing that, playing Ruby then trading over, but I don't know... Then i'd have to do E4 on Emerald with come random team.

I'm looking into Colosseum, but i'm not sure. Does anyone have any info on it? Such as how do you trade and such? Do you use the GBA as a controller? And what cords do you need?
    Thanks

Auron

Legendary Guardian
    Years
    You can trade from Colosseum without the National Dex, but...If you trade one Pokémon that isn't in the Hoenn Dex...What happens ?? It could be traded, altough there is no entry in the Hoenn Dex ??

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I don't like cheaters either, but its not really cheating, especially if i can do it with Pokemon Colosseum and its a dumb limitation on the game. What platform is it for? And what other games can it play and stuff? (Like the one for N64 had all sorts of mini games and stuff).
    I was thinking about doing that, playing Ruby then trading over, but I don't know... Then i'd have to do E4 on Emerald with come random team.

I'm looking into Colosseum, but i'm not sure. Does anyone have any info on it? Such as how do you trade and such? Do you use the GBA as a controller? And what cords do you need?
    Thanks
    Trading from Colosseum to Emerald is not cheating and does not adversely affect your Emerald cart in any way. Using a cheat code to allow trading IS cheating and can adversely affect your cart. Apparently there was no way to limit trades from Colosseum as there is the previous games.

Pokemon Colosseum is a Game Cube game. If you don't have a GC, then it is basically an economical decision as to whether to buy one or not. For example, I do not own a DS, so I will have to decide whether or not I like Diamond/Pearl enough to justify purchasing one. My middle son bought a used GC, not only because he could play Colosseum and XD (and get Ho-oh, Lugia, and Johto starters easily), but because he likes the GC and has purchased other used games with his VERY SMALL allowance/birthday/christmas cash.

The only stipulation with Colosseum though is that you must complete the game first before you are able to trade with any carts, and the game only has three boxes. Once complete though, let the trading begin. Also, you use a GC controller in slot one, but you can then use a GBA as a controller, using a GC/GBA link cable. We have been able to buy 4 used cables without much problem. Our local Game Stop typically has a good used GBA/GC/Pokemon stock. Of all the games (Colosseum, XD, GBA games) I think we have purchased one of them new. None of the GBA SP's we have (5) have been bought new either. It has been a very economical and enjoyable hobby for me and my sons. I guess that is why I was so bummed out about DP. I just thought it would be better than the stupid same old thing. How disappointing.

You can trade from Colosseum without the National Dex, but...If you trade one Pokémon that isn't in the Hoenn Dex...What happens ?? It could be traded, altough there is no entry in the Hoenn Dex ??
    Just like when you trade non-Hoenn Pokes to Ruby/Sapphire, the Poke will not show up in the Pokedex until the National Pokedex is acquired.

Hippo

Cookie MOnster
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2007
    Trading from Colosseum to Emerald is not cheating and does not adversely affect your Emerald cart in any way. Using a cheat code to allow trading IS cheating and can adversely affect your cart. Apparently there was no way to limit trades from Colosseum as there is the previous games.

Pokemon Colosseum is a Game Cube game. If you don't have a GC, then it is basically an economical decision as to whether to buy one or not. For example, I do not own a DS, so I will have to decide whether or not I like Diamond/Pearl enough to justify purchasing one. My middle son bought a used GC, not only because he could play Colosseum and XD (and get Ho-oh, Lugia, and Johto starters easily), but because he likes the GC and has purchased other used games with his VERY SMALL allowance/birthday/christmas cash.

The only stipulation with Colosseum though is that you must complete the game first before you are able to trade with any carts, and the game only has three boxes. Once complete though, let the trading begin. Also, you use a GC controller in slot one, but you can then use a GBA as a controller, using a GC/GBA link cable. We have been able to buy 4 used cables without much problem. Our local Game Stop typically has a good used GBA/GC/Pokemon stock. Of all the games (Colosseum, XD, GBA games) I think we have purchased one of them new. None of the GBA SP's we have (5) have been bought new either. It has been a very economical and enjoyable hobby for me and my sons. I guess that is why I was so bummed out about DP. I just thought it would be better than the stupid same old thing. How disappointing.

Just like when you trade non-Hoenn Pokes to Ruby/Sapphire, the Poke will not show up in the Pokedex until the National Pokedex is acquired.
    Thanks a ton, I'm in the same boat with the DS thing. I have a GB SP, but not a DS, so yeah, i have to see if D/P is worth it. And our internet is Wired, so getting a wireless router would be more money + securing it, so i don't know yet.
    I'm looking to borrow a copy of the game, or rent one from something like Blockbuster or local places. How many cables to i need to connect GB to GC? And how long does the game take to beat? If a friend has it, we can borrow thier Memory card, but other than that, i'd have to do with my brother. We do have a game cube, and a game boy player for it, will that help with trading at all? (Doubt it will recognise it, but i'm crossing my fingers.)
    So in summary...
    1) How hard is the game to beat? How long will it take?
    2) How many GB/GC cables do I need? I can hopefully get some for a couple bucks at a used game store.

Thanks a ton!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    You only need ONE GC/GBA link cable. Make sure you have the right cable though. One end has one plug for a GBA, while the other end has two plugs - one for GC and one for another GBA.

I cannot remember how long it took to beat the game the first time. I am on the road this week, but my middle son is trying to beat it again so he can get Ho-oh for my youngest son. They are halfway through and it is only Tuesday. I would say a week might be doable. I will see. We limit the time our boys can play games though, so it might be quicker for you if you don't have such a limitation.

I am sure there is a walkthrough in one of the others sections here.

Back