• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Error when adding a starter Pok?mon

Olra-Wolfry

Is actually a computer monkey.
Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2016
    Error when adding a starter Pokémon

Rather than spamming the board with "HOW DO I DO THIS" or "WHAT DO I DO", I decided to make an entire thread to problems, and here's my first one;
    No matter what I do, there's a problem with the Starter Pokemon being obtained via list. Everything else works fine, but not until the point where the trainer gets their own starter;
    ***Full script:
    pbAddPokemon(:NEWTREE,5)

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Pokemon_Sprites:117:in `new'
    Pokemon_Sprites:117:in `pokemon='
    Pokemon_Sprites:102:in `initialize'
    TextEntry:1251:in `new'
    TextEntry:1251:in `pbStartScene'
    TextEntry:1590:in `pbStartScreen'
    TextEntry:1611:in `pbEnterText'
    TextEntry:1608:in `pbFadeOutIn'
    TextEntry:1608:in `pbEnterText'

Interpreter:276:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:1606:in `command_355'
    Interpreter:494:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:193:in `update'
    Interpreter:106:in `loop'
    Interpreter:198:in `update'
    Scene_Map:103:in `update'
    Scene_Map:101:in `loop'
    Scene_Map:114:in `update'
    Scene_Map:68:in `main'

The code would be, at that point.
    Control Switches: [0003: Choosing starter] = ON
    Label: choosePokemon
    Test: \rWhich type do you prefer out of these three?
    Show Choices: Grass, Fire, Water
    When [Grass]
    Text: \rSo you're choosing Newtree, the Bean Lizard Pokemon
    Show Choices: Yes, No
    When [Yes]
    Text: \rGreat Choice! I'm sure it will make the best beginning Pokemon for your journey!
    Script: pbAddPokemon(:Newtree,5)
    Control Switches: [003: Choosing starter] = OFF
    Control Switches: [0066: Chose Newtree] = ON
    Control Variables: [0007: Starter choice] = 1
    Control Self Switch: A =on
    >
    When [No]
    Text: \rAlright...
    Jump to Label: choosePokemon
    >
    Branch End

Of course, this also happens with the other two starters, and after the branches end it goes to the "Alright, then i'm choosing Huskute!" line the other says. And other than the "dream looking like a flashback", awkward event spacing and the player being able to surf right in the beginning of the game, which can be fixed it doesn't turn out right. It even happens when I have icons and sprites of the Pokemon. What did I do wrong there?

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    It looks like you're missing the actual text of the error itself (you just pasted from the part where it starts describing the error's location, but not what kind of error is being caused), but off the top of my head I'm wondering whether the fact that your pbAddPokemon script call has the starter's name in proper case (Newtree) instead of allcaps (NEWTREE) might be contributing to your problem. In Essentials, symbols (the ":OBJECTNAME" text) should generally always be capitalized, as they refer to an object's internal name rather than its displayed name. (Unless your pokemon.txt file does in fact have "Newtree" listed as the internal name?)

Last edited by a moderator:

Olra-Wolfry

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2016
    It really is all caps, but I really don't know what went wrong. Before it, though, is
    just plain text script.

Olra-Wolfry

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2016
    Well, I found out the problem; you can't name your pokemon, or it turns into an error and crashes the game.

Back