• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ethernet LAN Connection Problem

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    I want to connect my laptop with desktop to copy files on it, but it seems to tough. My laptop is Windows 7 Home Premium, and desktop has Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. They both have ethernet card and i've got the cross cable. i cannot change the workgroup name in desktop, but it's set to "WORKGROUP", so i've set it same in my laptop too. then i went to local area connection properties in both of them. in my laptop, i've set the following entries:

ip - 192.168.0.1
    subnet - 255.255.255.0
    default gateway - 192.168.0.2

in desktop:

ip - 192.168.0.2
    subnet - 255.255.255.0
    default gateway - 192.168.0.1

that's what i found on internet. but i've tried various other combinations too, like giving unique ip address to both and putting some different ip and gateway (different from both ip). but nothing works.

on my desktop, it shows connected. but not on my laptop. i really want to copy all my stuff from desktop to laptop. how can i ever do it :(

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • The built in stuff is kind of lame.

I recommend downloading and using Teamviewer, which I use for this exact thing. It's a free program. https://teamviewer.com/index.aspx

You have to install it on both computers. Each one gets a unique number ID each time you start it up and you can type that into the connect box on the other PC to start things.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    I went to that page, but it seems it's all through internet...I am using the cross cable. Don't want to use internet for it, it will be too slow.

Dawn

Years
  • It's perfectly fine for transferring files. If you insist on not using the internet you'll have to look to someone else for that.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Make sure the "workstation" service is started on the desktop. Windows key + R, cmd, net start workstation.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    Already tried it. But the workstation service never starts :(

I checked in msconfig, the Workstation service is ticked, but it's stopped. I did that net start workstation, still no difference. it's always stopped. even restarted my pc, still stopped. how do i start it?

twocows

Years
  • It takes about a minute, sometimes more, to start. Make sure you've waited long enough.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    C:\>net start workstation
    The Workstation service is starting..
    The Workstation service could not be started.

A service specific error occurred: 2250.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3547.

C:\>net helpmsg 3547

A service specific error occurred: ***.

EXPLANATION

A service-specific error occurred.

ACTION

Refer to the Help or documentation for that service to determine the problem.

C:\>

twocows

Years
  • Try running CCleaner's registry cleaner. Fix all errors it finds and try again.

Dawn

Years
  • Quite honestly the inbuilt Windows tools for this are terrible. I never got them to work. Couldn't be bothered when there were free alternatives that required so much less hassle.

I have a laptop with wireless and a desktop with ethernet and Teamviewer does everything I could ask for in terms of transferring files in-between them. It's usually very fast, like, as fast as my internet connection can go. (1 MB/s)

That means my average MP3 is transfered in mere seconds.

twocows

Years
  • Windows networking has always been kind of a mess. I'm sorry that I can't really help more than saying that. ;_;

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    I don't have that fast internet connection. That's why I don't want to go for that.

And it's alright. I moved all files using my 2GB flash drive, gradually. Now all my data is here :)

Back