• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ethics?

StarBurst

I > U = Old
    Years
    Not sure if this is going to be locked, but I looked in the rules and I didn't "see" anything. Of course I'm rather prone to not see stuff, so I'm not sure. xP

Anyway, what do you guys think. Are emulators wrong? Should we be using them? Does using them come with any risks?

Enix-Zae

1000 posts by 2020
    Years
    should we be using them? only for past generation systems. New systems deserve to be left alone from emulators.

KoBRe LaiR

Pokemon Forest Nature ©
    Years
    This goes more into the Voting poll area thus it is asking for an opinion.
    *moves*

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2005
    All systems must be emulated for proper hacking to commence. Why? Well, why don't you try making a mod like... Say, Pokemon Ice, but every time you made even the tiniest of changes you had to flash a GBA cart for five minutes. Now, lets say that after a single year over five hundred changes, however small had been made to the ROM. Each requiring five minutes to flash. Each requiring the hacker to go through all the screens and such at normal speed. Not to mention the added cost of a flash-cart. And a GBA, if you don't have one (As I'm sure there are people out there who hack but don't actually own the game). And an AC adapter, if you have any sense.

That's a heck of a lot of time and cash wasted.

Also, without emulators we wouldn't have a real homebrew community, and without homebrew I seriously doubt there would be a ROM hacking community.

---Rant warning---

However much an emulator might help piracy, it's also incredibly vital to hacking. Same with cart dumpers. You can't hack a ROM if you don't have a ROM, and you probably aren't going to get one by asking Nintendo nicely. There are probably a multitude of 'unethical' things that have had to be done to ROM hack. ROM hacking is probabbly legally considered 'Unethical'.

But let's be honest, theres a difference between the ethics of, say, raping and murdering someone and hacking a ROM. If people stoped wasting their resources on pirates and homebrewers/hackers and instead assigned more people to catching criminals, I'd be willing to bet my life savings the crime-rate would drop drastically. I mean, come on, some kid downloads a copy of Green Day's latest album and the cops are on his back faster than you can say 'Oh crap, how did they know?!', but some poor kid gets kidnapped and most likly slaughtered and five years later all we know is that he was kiddnaped in a black van. The reason? Companies run the govornment. That's the plain truth of the matter. They don't even need to bribe anyone. All they need to say is 'Someone is stealling music from us. Make them pay.' and boom, the website's destroyed. Hell, look at what happened to DVD Decrypter and it wasn't even illegal for crying out loud!

What should be done? I say we scrap the law. Chuck it out the window. Screw it, it's old and outdated. It wasn't designed to facilitate computer crime. I say we make a new law. Same basic crimes, except we do it properly. Things like TCMA should be illegal (Hah! You've got to be kidding me? Now your building an incredibly easy to exploit backdoor into every new computer system?! More on that in another rant), workers rights should be a part of the constitution (Thank god for John Howard's new industrial relations laws! Now I can make my workers work 24/7 for minimum wage! More on that in another rant) and we should sure as hell put finding a missing kid higher on the priority list than arresting some geek with too much time on his hands.

When they arrest me for making comments against the govornment (Anti-Terrosist laws: The new terrorists? More on that in another rant), I'll be sure to post here when I get out (That is, if I get out).

---End of Rant---

Thankyou for listening.

Years
    Meh, it's legally wrong alright. Tch, but it ain't wrong ta me, seein' how tha chances of gettin' caught are slim ta none, an' besides, their multi-billionaire companies can take tha loss. XP

jc_rcw

:God:
    Years
    I like using roms, I don't think they are bad I only use the GBA emulator and I don't think its bad.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
    Emulators are bad and anybody who downloads them should go to jail!!!11one

XD!

Anyway, I do kinda think it's bad to download emulators for newer consoles, such as DS, but for older consoles, it's okie for me! ^^
    Besides, I download every game I own, so I can h4x0r it! =3
    *Cough.*Downloadedafewarcadegames.XD*cough*

Years
    Well, I don`t exactly have a problem with emulators or anything.
    I think it`s okay to emulate anything, really. A DS is way too expensive, but does that mean I shouldn`t get to play the games? No.

Not that I have a computer to use an emulator on, or anything.

Hey, how can you emulate a DS because of the touch screen and all. How does that work?

Back