• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Let's Play] Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight: Pick my Party!

Fawful_X

Monster-hunting Red Mage
Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2018
    What is Etrian Odyssey and why are you doing this?
    Etrian Odyssey is a dungeon crawler by Atlus (best known for the Shin Megami Tensei series, and by extension Persona). The goal is simple; get to the end of a labyrinth spanning multiple floors. Of course, given Atlus is known for having very difficult games, the task is far more simpler on paper than it is in execution.

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold is a remake of the second game, the original game honestly being pretty poorly balanced even when you factor in how the most overpowered skills were taken out of the game or nerfed into oblivion, with certain classes being nerfed to the point of uselessness. Regardless, it was still fun despite this, and even then many things have been rebalanced in the remake to make it more challenging and fair. The most noteworthy change that came about the remake was the inclusion of a story mode, which many veterans of the series dislike due to how it forces specific personalities and classes onto the party. This issue was only exacerbated further with the first game, which included a side dungeon that you could only access in the story mode. Thankfully, while EO2U includes this side dungeon, it allows you to access it in classic. Another thing many veterans dislike is the inclusion of easier difficulty modes that give you a second chance should you fail a fight, but while I am a fan of the series, all I can really say in regards to that is ?Why complain about this, when Expert is essentially classic Etrian Odyssey??

As for why I?m doing this? Well? I?ll be honest, I?m stealing this idea of others picking my party from a screenshot let?s play I saw when I thought the idea was clever. I can?t promise any screenshots at all, but I can attempt to give a rundown of events while making some attempts at giving the characters I make a greater sense of character in the meantime.

Oh yeah, there?ll be spoilers. While the plot is somewhat barebones unless you?re playing story mode, there are still a few twists and turns. I?d suggest trying to play to the end of each segment if you decide to play along with me for some reason. Also, while I?ll be giving some advance warning as to what I?ll expect in the next segment, I?ll be trying to keep things as spoiler-free as possible.

Rules
    -Every time I progress through either three floors or finish a stratum, I must change my party to the top five picks suggested. As for the rules on that, a community member may pick up to five different classes, and the same class can?t be chosen twice (as I am only using one class per character).
    -The Fafnir Knight is banned. While he is a mediocre class if you don?t use his Force skill, Transform, doing so immediately turns him into a force that completely ruins the balance of the entire game.
    -Grimoire stones and the cafe are banned for added difficulty.
    -Expert difficulty (Though for me, it?s less of a restriction and more of how I typically play the games).
    -Extra restrictions will be applied to each class. These restrictions will gradually be relaxed as the game continues.

The Southvale Guild
    Note that, while choosing party members, I can only have up to three party members in either the front row or back row. This is very important to adhere to, as not adhering to this can greatly impact my party?s ability to survive.

I may edit in pictures of Sovereign and Highlander later, and delete this sentence afterwards.

Alicia the Landsknecht
    Spoiler:

Johnny the Survivalist
    Spoiler:

Sonia the Protector
    Spoiler:

Ribbon the Dark Hunter
    Spoiler:

Zack the Medic
    Spoiler:

Jacob the Alchemist
    Spoiler:

Ezekiel the Troubadour
    Spoiler:

Yuki the Ronin
    Spoiler:

Remilia the Hexer
    Spoiler:

Nils the Gunner
    Spoiler:

??? the War Magus
    Spoiler:

Robin the Sovereign
    Spoiler:

Sabre the Beast
    Spoiler:

Fafnir the Highlander (Not to be confused with the Fafnir Knight)
    Spoiler:

Fafnir Knight
    Spoiler:

Running Tally of first voting session
    ??? the War Magus - 2
    Ezekiel the Troubadour - 2
    Nils the Gunner - 1
    Yuki the Ronin - 1
    Ribbon the Dark Hunter - 1
    Robin the Sovereign - 1
    Sabre the Beast - 1
    Alicia the Landsknecht - 1
    Sonia the Protector - 1
    Johnny the Survivalist - 1
    Zack the Medic - 1

Last edited:

Black Rosè1

Rosè, the embodiment of love and pain
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2017
    I'm seeing.. Ribbon the Dark Hunter, Ezekiel the Troubadour, Scarlet the War Magus, Robin the Sovereign, and Sabre the Beast

Had to include the beast :3

Starlight_Maiden

Knightess of the Wind
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2019
    Okay,
    Alicia, Sonia, Johnny, Zack, Ezekiel.

Also, maybe consider writing a story after finishing by using all the chars? They all look like neat characters that could make an amazing fan story.

Fawful_X

Monster-hunting Red Mage
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2018
    Gonna close the votes for this voting session. As they are the top two picks, the War Magus and Ezekiel will be included in the party. As for the various classes with a single vote, I'll be choosing Sonia, Yuki, and Johnny.

As for what I'll expect to encounter after the next voting session, there will be a fight against a great beast that is weak to the ice element, and has access to poison and fire skills. A special item can be obtained if it dies to poison damage.

@Starlight_Maiden - I'll be writing a story as I go, so no need to worry about that :P

Last edited:

Fawful_X

Monster-hunting Red Mage
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2018
    UPDATE 1

Prologue
    Spoiler:

Entry 1-1-1: The First Mission
    Spoiler:

Notes: The short introductory title scrawl is, to my knowledge, not present in Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold (instead having been replaced by an animated movie featuring the story mode characters).
    NPC dialog is mostly faithful to what is found in the games, with some alterations being made for the sake of improving storytelling.
    Italics not surrounded by quotes, as you may have gathered if you read the the rest of the post before these notes, are me talking. Generally, you can expect me to do this when explaining game mechanics or special DLC-exclusive events.

Last edited:
    Back