• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Euros, how do you feel about immigration?

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2008
    As long as you came to my country, and pulled your own weight, paid your taxes and generally contributed to society I couldn't care less what colour or creed you are!

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    That's a stupid question tbh. White is a skin colour, not a religion. That's what i dislike about religion, it segregates people more than it unifies.

But immigrationwise, Im not a fan. Anyone can move anywhere in the EU and countries end up over-populated ect. I personally think you should be able to at least speak a country's language before moving there.
    But that's my opinion, i live in a very diverse area of the uk and that's fine with me, but i dislike how many of my friends and their parents cannot get work because foreigners undercut them. But yeah, as long as you contribute I dont care all that much.

Stalin Malone

Order. Stability. Progress.
    Years
    I have no problem with immigrants providing they integrate into the main society. By this I mean they follow the laws, speak the main language well enough to be understood and comply with social norms(accepting secular western governments).

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Too bad the current residents don't pull their weight either. =O

That statement has more truth to it than you realize -.-

I have absolutely no problem with Immigration, but I do have a problem with illegal immigration. If your first experience in my country is breaking a law, there is a problem.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2008
    I agree

i also feel that immigration is fine as long as it's not illegal

Years
    I'm not happy with the way its going currently.

It's mixed where I am - many legal immigrants end up tossed back to wherever they came from, which could be back to severe poverty. While oddly illegal immigrants are given free houses, free cars, money, etc. I don't know the reasons behind this but that's what's currently going on.

Not only that, but now employers have a quota to meet which means that a particular percentage of their employees must be of non-Brittish nationality. So it doesn't matter if that native Brittish person is better suited for the job than that Polish person - if the employee has a quota to meet they'll employ the Polish person first.

There aren't enough jobs to go around for everyone at this rate, and something needs to be done about it. However, speaking out against it is seen as racist for some reason. And figures seem to claim that there are plenty of jobs to go around, from my experience this simply is not the case.

My feelings are mixed - on one side some of the immigrants are only looking for a better life for their family. On the other hand many of them are taking all the jobs that students used to take. And the older I get without ever having had a job, even though I try very hard to get one, the less likely I'll ever have one. I'm certainly not alone either.

Years
    Immigration is a wonderful thing. In Peterborough we have huge Polish, Lithuanian, Portuguese, and Italian communities. They are all very hard working, and contribute hugely to our economy. Less culd be said about the lazy English living in our City.

While oddly illegal immigrants are given free houses, free cars, money, etc. I don't know the reasons behind this but that's what's currently going on.

Not only that, but now employers have a quota to meet which means that a particular percentage of their employees must be of non-Brittish nationality. So it doesn't matter if that native Brittish person is better suited for the job than that Polish person - if the employee has a quota to meet they'll employ the Polish person first.

There aren't enough jobs to go around for everyone at this rate, and something needs to be done about it. However, speaking out against it is seen as racist for some reason. And figures seem to claim that there are plenty of jobs to go around, from my experience this simply is not the case.

Most of that is completely made up and not true, what's your source? the BNP?

For a start the government have no record of "illegal immigrants", hence the reason that they are 'illegal'. Therefore they cannot receive free money/house/cars. Even legal immigrants don't get work permits or benefits for a very long time.

Last edited:
    Years
    Most of that is completely made up and not true, what's your source? the BNP?

For a start the government have no record of "illegal immigrants", hence the reason that they are 'illegal'. Therefore they cannot receive free money/house/cars. Even legal immigrants don't get work permits or benefits for a very long time.

Actually I know some personally. :/ They appealed about their situation and got a free allowance, a council home and one of their mum's got a car for her job. And no, I don't listen to a thing the BNP says, thanks for the accusation. (heck I don't even know what they say)

Don't forget that the situation in Scotland is often different from the situation in England.

And where I am most workers in low paid jobs are not Brittish.

Years
    Actually I know some personally. :/ They appealed about their situation and got a free allowance, a council home and one of their mum's got a car for her job. And no, I don't listen to a thing the BNP says, thanks for the accusation. (heck I don't even know what they say)

Don't forget that the situation in Scotland is often different from the situation in England.

And where I am most workers in low paid jobs are not Brittish.

Illiegal immigrants cannot get jobs, unless they are illegal jobs. There is now way that they can get government handouts, or a house because they are illegal immigrants and therefore not on the system.

Are you getting confused with refugees and Asylum seekers? or indeed regular immigrants?

I never accused you of anything, merely stating that your statements were very similar to the sort of rubbish that certain political parties come up with to try and cause race wars in our country.

Years
    Illiegal immigrants cannot get jobs, unless they are illegal jobs. There is now way that they can get government handouts, or a house because they are illegal immigrants and therefore not on the system.

Are you getting confused with refugees and Asylum seekers? or indeed regular immigrants?

I never accused you of anything, merely stating that your statements were very similar to the sort of rubbish that certain political parties come up with to try and cause race wars in our country.

I don't really know, perhaps they came here illegaly and then sook asylum. But the buy I know from the Phillipines said he and his family used a fake passports over there but got caught when he got here.

Admittedly I'm suprised he never got caught over there. But he's a cosy living student now.

All my statements come purely from personal experience, and I probably should have used the word 'some' rather than just saying it outright, as I'm sure it's not the same in all cases. (I actually always do, but this time it got missed out pssibly because I'm ill) I'm sorry if what I said sounded like I was against other racial backgrounds, I'm most definately not, but I try very hard to get a job and it angers me that I can't get one yet most people behind tills or stacking shelves struggle to speak decent English. It's nothing against them, just this cruddy system that leaves me out of any work experience.

Last edited:
    Years
    You have to be granted asylum to get a job, pay out, housing etc so it must have been granted. Fair play to them, it's incredibly hard to prove your life was in danger where you escaped from.

To stay in the country you also have to prove that you will be of use to the country (usually nurses, doctors, teachers etc).

Back