• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen EV/IV training for Gen 1

Sun Fin

Ace Trainer
    Years
    I'm about to restart Pokemon Red. I've picked my team and given some serious thought to my move sets. However I want my team to have as good stats as possible. I've tried reading IV/EV guides and I think I must be stupider than I thought as I'm struggling to make sense of them!

Now as far as I can tell as long as you give your Pokemon as many vitamins as they'll eat and just keep battling Pokemon their EV's will just look after themselves? Please tell me if I'm wrong!

However IVs are more important to get right? Again what I think I've learnt is that when you catch a Pokemon the game randomly generates it's stats and you need your Pokemon to have as high stats as possible. There is a range which they will have to be within and so you want your Pokemon to be at the top of that range. Is that all correct?

My next question is how do you know what that range is? I found an online calculator (called Pokemon Stat Calculator) but having read what others have said the maximum stat presumes EV training and a full diet of vitamins? Is there anyway of knowing what their best stats could possibly be at the moment of capture?

Sorry for all the questions!

Back