• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen EV training areas?

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
  • I'm trying to work out where all the best areas for EV training on Fire Red/Leaf Green. Here's what I have so far:

Speed: Route 1 contains only Pidgey and Rattata, each giving 1 speed EV

Special Attack: In the Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town, fight Gastly for 1 EV or Haunter for 2 EV. Cubone also give 1 Defence EV, but you can just run when they appear (rare).

Special Defence: Surf on any water area, you can find Tentacool (1 EV) or Tentacruel (2 EV)

Anyone know the best areas for EV training for HP, Attack and Defence?

Deaths Jaws

Budding Breeder
    Years
  • i have it writen down somewere ill have a look around for it now for ya....give me about an hour or so.

Jaws...

btw: ill edit them into this post.

EDIT here are all the locations that are in an FAQ on gamefaqs.com by Dmon2

as such i take no credit for these and all such things like that (getting myself out of the copywrite stuff :) )

HIT POINTS (HP)
    ---------------

You must have the National Pokedex. Go through the cave at Three Isle Port. The
    patch of grass there only contains Dunsparce, which gives 1 point.

Average level: 15

ATTACK
    ------

Enter Mt. Moon and go down the first ladder. Stay here to only encounter Paras,
    which gives 1 point.

Average level: 8

DEFENSE
    -------

Metapod and Kakuna in Viridian Forest or Pattern Bush both give 2 points, but
    they're pretty uncommon. If that doesn't suit your fancy, try Geodude in Mt.
    Moon, which gives 1 point.

Average level: 8

SPEED
    -----

If your Pokemon are weak, you can fight Pidgey and Rattata on Route 1. Each
    gives 1 point. When you're a bit higher in level, you can take on Diglett's
    Cave if you want. Diglett gives 1 point, Dugtrio gives 2 points.

Average level: 3 (Route 1), 24 (Diglett's Cave)

SPECIAL ATTACK
    --------------

Pokemon Tower. Gastly gives 1, Haunter gives 2. Cubone gives 1 Defense point,
    but you don't have to worry about them much, as they are quite rare. Just flee.

Average level: 19

SPECIAL DEFENSE
    ---------------

Surf in just about any body of water to find Tentacool (1 point).

Average level: Varies

have fun mate :)

Last edited:

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • Thanks for that, Death Jaws. Means I can do some proper EV training now. Currently working on EV training Treecko (traded my new female from Sapphire and bred until I got a good nature, he's Timid (+Speed, - Att) )

Deaths Jaws

Budding Breeder
    Years
  • lol.....how many did u have to hatch for a good nature AND good stats? ive found that the average is around 40ish...though i have been lucky and got one after 5 or so....usually it takes me a day or so of solid hatching till i find what im looking for..not including the breeding chain to get cirtain moves onto them.

also, because he has been traded Fr/Lg is THE best location to speed train to level 100 ive just found, but u need a lucky egg for this to work (exp is x1.5 opn the holder and being traded is another x1.5 for a total of double exp on whatever you kill/ko/watever)

now for the location: Cerilian Cave level 3 (level were mewtwo is) you average around 2900 exp per ko but you need to be about level 50 or so befor you try this...do ur normal training grounds that you suggested to me, near the daycare, till you get to level 50-55 then go to the cave and get leveling, but remember to have a zigagoon with surf (pickup ability) to get you there and to make things quicker a flyer and ALOT of escape ropes. i leveled my Metagross to level 100 there and it only took me about 6 hours to gain 50 levels.

hope i helped

Jaws...

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • I usually use Colosseum to help level train my Pokemon, I go and fight all of the trainers in Mount Battle from 1 to 100 for the large amount of XP you get (combined with the traded exp bonus and the fact they are all trainers, you level up very fast). And in doing that, you can earn enough Pokecoupons for some really nice items (including Leftovers, stat boosting berries, and other useful items)

As for my breeding, I got extremely lucky - got a Modest Lapras with Water Absorb on my first try, and only took me 3 breeding attempts to get Timid Treecko.

New question - is there anyway to confirm you have max EV? I know you can get the Effort Ribbon in RSE, but is there anyone in FR/LG that can do the same job?

Drayano

Axe me a question, I dare you.
    Years
  • I asked about this a while ago on SPPf, and this is what the answers were:

HP: Dunsparce in Three Isle Port
    Attack: Crush Kin's and Karate Trainers on Island 1
    Defense: Tangela on Route 21
    SAtk: Gastly/Haunter in Pok?mon Tower. Run from Cubone.
    SDef: Hoppip/Tentacool/Tentacruel on Five Island water.
    Spd: Diglett/Dugtrio in Diglett's Cave

Second question, as far as I know, it isn't possible. You need the Effort Ribbon to check :((Unless you keep a great record.)

Deaths Jaws

Budding Breeder
    Years
  • i think there is someone on one of the islands...but i really dont know...talk to them all and you should get one...i thin its near the place were you get the traihner card stickers on island 3 (IIRC)

Jaws...

Back