• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen EV Training/Natures [HELP]

Years
  • Firstly I do hope this is the correct area for this thread.

I am looking to get into the competitive battling scene on X/Y and I know very little on the above subject, I think I read somewhere that stats can't be higher than 500 or there not a legal Pokemon is that correct? Also I know that natures effect certain stats but how do you know which nature would be best for what Pokemon?

Any help on this subject would be appreciated, also when I understand more some advice on my potential team would be great too!

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
    Years
  • EV is short for "Effort Value".
    Each Pokemon is allowed 510 EV's. The most basic and common is to divide 252 in 2 different stats, and usually put 4 in HP, but every Pokemon is different!

So basically each 4 EV points, equals 1 stat point.
    There is a new method of training EV's in X/Y by doing super training. I am still finishing the story mode, so I didn't look into it that much.... yet....

Natures give different stats, and lower another. Some are neutral though.
    For example - Modest lowers the Attack stat, but increases the Sp. Attack stat.

Hope I helped a bit.
    To learn more about it, you should look up EV training and natures on Serebii, Bulbapedia and Marriland. They really are the best information websites.
    I mostly use Bulbapedia.

I added some links for you. Hopefully it's not against the rules to share links... I didn't see anything against it in the rules.
    Explanation on EV's
    Individual Values (IV's)
    List of Natures, and what they do
    List of EV for each Pokemon

Last edited:

Frozthax

Youtube partner
    Years
  • Okay well, what are the natures?
    There's 25 different natures:
    Natures:
    Adamant: (+Attack, -Sp.Atk)
    Bashful: No effect
    Bold: (+Defense, Attack)
    Brave: (+Attack, -Speed)
    Calm: (+Sp.Def, -Attack)
    Careful: (+Sp.Def, -Sp.Atk)
    Docile: No effect
    Gentle: (+Sp.Def, -Defense)
    Hardy: No effect
    Hasty: (+Speed, -Defense)
    Impish: (+Defense, -Sp.Atk)
    Jolly: (+Speed, -Sp.Atk)
    Lax: (+Defense, -Sp.Def)
    Lonely: (+Attack, -Defense)
    Mild: (+Sp.Atk, -Defense)
    Modest: (+Sp.Atk, -Attack)
    Naive: (+Speed, -Sp.Def)
    Naughty: (+Attack, -Sp.Def)
    Quiet: (+Sp.Atk, -Speed)
    Quirky: No effect
    Rash: (+Sp.Atk, -Sp.Def)
    Relaxed: (+Defense, -Speed)
    Sassy: (+Sp.Def, -Speed)
    Serious: No effect
    Timid: (+Speed, -Attack)

So, how do I get the "correct" EVs?
    The EVs you get depend on what pokemon you defeat, and if you look at the pokemon's base stats, it's usually pretty obvious what EVs it'll give you. Geodude's got high defense, he gives you 1 Defense EV. Gastly has high special attack, he'll give you 1 Sp.Atk EV, and it goes on, here's a small list of a few common pokemon that you can get EVs from:

Bidoof = 1 HP EV
    Shinx = 1 Attack EV
    Bibarel = 2 Attack EVs
    Gyarados = 2 Attack EVs
    Kricketune = 2 Atttack EVs
    Geodude = 1 Defense EV
    Gastly = 1 Sp.Atk EV
    Budew = 1 Sp.Atk EV
    Tentacool = 1 Sp.Def EV
    Zubat = 1 Speed EV
    Magikarp = 1 Speed EV
    Starly = 1 Speed EV
    Staravia = 2 Speed EVs

And what about pokérus?
    Pokérus is a little harder, you catch it from random pokemon in the wild, if you use a physical attack on it you have a shot at catching it, or of course you can just catch the pokemon. There's no way to know if a wild pokemon has pokérus or not until after you catch it, so it's a tad rare. You can tell if one of your pokémon has pokérus by looking at it's summary screen, you can't miss it, it'll have a purple box saying "PKRS" right above the picture.

Years
  • Thank you for both of your replies!

I think i'm understanding so when a pokemon has 510 EV's will it be impossible to to get any more, and will one stat only let you have 252?

When I have finished the game I will have to start breeding for natures then! For example would Timid be a good nature for a Pikachu 'cause of the speed boost? Hopefully i'm understanding this!

I will read into your links when I have some time, just been tired after work recently so not had much free time!

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    All in all you have the basics. None of the Pokemon I use are mixed attackers. They always use either Physical or Special. So most of my Pokemon are Adamant is they are a Physical attacker that needs more power, Jolly for Physical that needs more Speed. Modest for Special and damage and Timid for Special needing more Speed.

I always choose to lower the attacking stat I won't be using. I'm more of a full offense player though. It is helpful to look into the Pokemon you're training. Figure out if you want Physical or Special. Then which you want more of, damage or speed. I tend to go with the lower stat to boost.

For example I have a Mega Charizard Y. It's Special Attack is increased so I only want to use Special attacks, no Physical. It's Special Attack is much higher than it's Speed so I went with a Timid Nature.

Years
  • Thank you for both of your replies!

I think i'm understanding so when a pokemon has 510 EV's will it be impossible to to get any more, and will one stat only let you have 252?

When I have finished the game I will have to start breeding for natures then! For example would Timid be a good nature for a Pikachu 'cause of the speed boost? Hopefully i'm understanding this!

I will read into your links when I have some time, just been tired after work recently so not had much free time!

Max EVs a pokemon can have = 510.
    Max EVs in a stat = 255

4 EVs = +1 in selected stat
    255 EV = +63.75 in selected stats

What if we choose 252 EV?
    252 EVs = +63 in selected stats
    Extra EVs = 3 EVs

Since a pokemon can only have 510 EVs, only two stats can be maxed with 252 EVs each. Extra of 6 EVs can be placed in other stats for an increase of 1 stat point.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2014
    One more thing about natures, in the summary page of a pokemon, the stat that is red is increased by 10%, while the stat that's blue is decreased by 10%. If all of them are white, the pokemon has a neutral nature (no increase or decrease). It's slightly easier than to remember all the possible natures.

4 EV at lv.100 is exactly +1 in stat increase, but if you plan to make a team only for Battle Maison (limited at lv.50), instead of 4 EV, you need 8 EV for 1 stat increase. So instead of a 252/252/4 distribution, it's better to have 248/248/8 distribution, since 252 and 4 divided by 8 doesn't give a clean number.

If you've lost count of EV's you've already accumulated, if you need 252 in one stat, you can do super training until it tells you it can't be raised any further (cap of one stat in super training is 252).
    Another method is to save the game, then use a reset bag in super training. When the stats reset, it tells you how many EV per stat you've accumulated, remember them or write them down and restart game. You know how many EV you've still need and continue EV training.

Back